• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been listening to this podcast for a while now. This is one of the things they do. Recommend cars to people exactly like you. ( They have a few Y.T. channels too and a TV show on Motor Trend)

Right now, the rage according to them is the new Mazda 3 Turbo. It fits with your Civic type R request.

The Hyundai Veloster "N" is also up there.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    If I had to drive 500 plus miles a week I'd get a Toyota Avalon. I had a 2009 Avalon and it was a very comfortable and reliable vehicle.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Lots of good replies! Thanks! I'll just write thoughts rather than quote everyone.

I'm shopping in the "Used, Low-Miles" bracket. So, 1-5 years old, less than 50k miles.

I'm trying to approach this as a three-year car, not a drive-into-ground-car like my current pickup. I think with all the tech in a new car, it'll get harder to keep them forever. Because of integration, things may fail in big chunks that you can't just ignore or work around.

Camry/Accord seems to be the default answer. I think looking at the Fusion is just me rebelling against that.

I maintain a bias against Korean and Chinese cars.

It has occurred to me that a new vehicle may actually require regular maintenance, but they also have extended intervals so it may even out!

Since everything on the road is over 4,000lbs, exterior size doesn't play that big of a role in safety any more. My 4,000lb truck will fold in half in an accident because it's not well designed. Some F150's did the same thing. I definitely am considering safety, but every new car is an upgrade here.

I should test a new-er GTi. Coworker has a ~2018-ish Golf R and I don't like it much. Meanwhile, another coworker's Focus RS Wow'd me, but he was driving it like a madman and it was Fun! He sold the Ford and they're solidly out of my price range anyway.

I think anything that is labeled "Sport" you have to assume it was driven by an 18-year-old idiot and approach with caution.

De Germans all scare me a bit with upkeep, even VW. A BMW 1/2/3-Series checks a lot of boxes, but the total-cost-of-ownership can go up fast. Because of that, the number of miles i drive, and rapid deflation, I'm not seriously considering a BMW. But rear-wheel-drive manual......

Thanks for the podcast, I'll poke around there for more advice, especially shopping advice in general.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Get a little manual transmission car that is a top seller in our country and possibly others.

Ford, Honda, Toyota, forget the others. Lots of online sites, YouTube, forums and support. Suggestions for any tiny thing you might need or what to know about them.

Manual tranny will make it feel like the sports car you want, but don't want to afford. Automatic tranny's are the weak link in making a lot of modern cars lives way shorter than they could be.

Get your little commuter car first and shop for the used pickup or maybe fix your current one?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    No SUV's or Minivans because they're both depressing human-moving-appliances.
    If you like Fords, you should really try a 2017 or newer Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. I bought one new in 2017 and have about 62,000 miles on it now, no issues. And I drive it like I stole it. There is nothing depressing about it, the thing is a little rocket with that 245 HP 2.0 turbo in it. Handles well, too. It's like a raised Focus ST with AWD, without the ungodly bad PowerShit transmission.

Ford Forcus/Fiesta ST: see civic: commuter car, but more fun!
    Did I mention the ungodly bad PowerShit transmission? Yeah...no fun.

Must not be so boring that i pray for a deadly car crash every time i drive somewhere. Must not induce depression.
    I would love something practical with enough space for roadtrips and enough MPG's and comfort for all the mileage.
    Must have impeccable reliability.
    Here ya go. Get the V6. 301 HP. Up to 33 MPG on the highway. Very comfortable. 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds. For reference, the 0-60 mph time on a 2018 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi is 5.1 seconds.

Get the Avalon if you want a slightly bigger car, or a Lexus ES 350 for a little more luxury.

I've had both a Toyota Avalon and a Lexus ES 350, and they are surprisingly fun to drive, very quick and have lots of passenger room and good trunk space. You will not have any reliability worries. The Toyota/Lexus 3.5 V6 is rock solid, no worries about turbocharger failures, a tried and true engine.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I should test a new-er GTi. Coworker has a ~2018-ish Golf R and I don't like it much. Meanwhile, another coworker's Focus RS Wow'd me, but he was driving it like a madman and it was Fun! He sold the Ford and they're solidly out of my price range anyway.
    What didn't you like about the R? I'm on my 2nd. I have the auto. I will say they kind of neutered the car when it is in Drive. Stupid MPG regulations. Put the car into Sport mode though, and it is like driving a go cart.

I was looking at the RS when I got this latest R. Sadly, they didn't sell them very long here. As much as you are in the car, you would probably not have wanted a RS anyway. The Golf is a better, more comfortable car all around than the RS.

1614599582163.png
    1614599411356.png

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Do you own your home or have you done a refi to get in around the 3% rates? Depending on your position on that you may be able to do a cash out refinance and buy something straight out and if you have some cash savings you were diverting into the vehicle, you can put that towards somethings else.
    Me personally, I have been looking at the GMC Terrains. They have AWD models for around 25-30k depending on how fancy you want them. Awesome warranties too.

A cash out refinance to buy a car is a terrible idea.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    I’m also in the “old pickup is going, so what to get?” Thinking maybe Honda Ridgeline since I’ll still need to haul stuff I don’t want to put in a car.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    A BMW 3 series old enough to have the straight six and a 6 speed manual or an S2000
    And those cars become upkeep expensive around 125K so I have been told by those who have owned them.
    Yes and no. Depends on your indi-mechanic or better yet if you are a diy. First thing that came to mind reading the post was a 3. But then again the OP has auto ADD i think also... You either need/get a truck or you don't. 500 miles a week in a wrangler? No thanks...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes and no. Depends on your indi-mechanic or better yet if you are a diy. First thing that came to mind reading the post was a 3. But then again the OP has auto ADD i think also... You either need/get a truck or you don't. 500 miles a week in a wrangler? No thanks...
    500 miles a week. In a truck you command the road as in vision and tonnage. I will trade of some MPG for that. We always have. When CKW rolled a ways to work she actually preferred a truck just for her ability to see the whole playing field of idiots that surrounded her every day. And the ride in a newer truck is not bad at all.
    Our 04 averages 17 on the road if you set and forget. Just roll with the flow. But it has no problem getting in the left lane and running with those cats either. You drop to about 15MPG but you get there.

Our Caddy is a cloud smooth ride and it sips fuel if you set and forget but being that low in traffic bothers me.

Get the TRUCK. $25/30 WILL GET YOU INTO ONE ok.

Life is not complete with out TRUCK INVOLVED.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I picked up my 2014 Lexus IS250 F Sport with 64k miles last year for 18k. Plenty of HP and RWD make it fun in my book, and I think it looks pretty mean. 26 mpg leaves a little to be desired, but its not horrible.
    9vLwJrv.jpg

62rtSOQ.jpg

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I picked up a 2019 Ford Ranger last year. The turbo 4 cylinder is zippy and gets about 26 MPG on the interstate. Considering this one is the FX4 package I am pleased with the mileage. So far it has hauled and pulled everything I have needed. I really like the backup cameras, front parking sensors and blind spot indicators. The front seats are really comfortable, the rear seat leaves a lot to be desired. My only complaint is the 18 gallon gas tank.

If I were buying a 25k mile a year 1 person commuter and wanted a small truck, I would order an extended cab 2WD as long as it had a locking rear differential for getting up the hill to the range. Vinyl floor boards and deleted rear seat would be fine. Drive it for 3-4 years and sell. Work trucks always retain good value because of the utility. Honestly you are better off just to buy a new truck and skip used. Cars/trucks are not investments, they depreciate and right now operating cost per mile favors new vehicles.

(Be careful trying this strategy with cars. Used cars take a beating when trading them in or selling. Trucks I have always done well. Used cars wholesale low and retail high. Cars I buy new and drive them for the next 10 years.)

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I picked up my 2014 Lexus IS250 F Sport with 64k miles last year for 18k. Plenty of HP and RWD make it fun in my book, and I think it looks pretty mean. 26 mpg leaves a little to be desired, but its not horrible.
    9vLwJrv.jpg

62rtSOQ.jpg
    I like these quite a bit but in the past these cars really wanted premium fuel. Is this still the case?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I like these quite a bit but in the past these cars really wanted premium fuel. Is this still the case?
    The manual does say to use premium fuel, but I have read from quite a few people online that they run regular with no problems at all. I myself run premium though.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do you get paid mileage for all that 500 you drive?

We have a 2019 Camry SE (4 cyl)... And I love almost everything about that car. Especially all the interior room, the exterior styling, and the almost 40mpg highway miles on good summer gas. 8 spd automatic transmission with flappy paddles and a manual mode. No, it's not a manual. And no, it won't blip the throttle to rev-match... But it's kind of a close approximation.

What I don't like - infotainment (basic / lowest level) isn't the fastest. No Android Auto - and that puts some people off. I don't really care. I'm tall - and the rearview mirror hangs down low enough to intrude into outward vision. Takes some getting used to to see around it. It's geared for economy vs. sport. Unless you shift it yourself. It's plenty motivated in 1st gear and a throttle mash.

If you're only planning on keeping it for 3 years - then my normal warning to stay away from a CVT is kind of moot. But, IMO, stay away from a car with a CVT. Even Subaru. They just don't last as long as normal automatics - even in a Subaru.

Keep in mind that gasoline will continue to rise in price. I'm sure it'll be up near $4.00 or so soon enough...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Camry/Accord seems to be the default answer...
    Go Lexus/Acura. Same reliability with much nicer materials, creature comforts, and fit/finish.

We had a 2007 Lexus RX350 with almost 300K miles on it. The interior still looks as good as the day we bought it with 30K. Our son has it now as basically a spare vehicle.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Go Lexus/Acura. Same reliability with much nicer materials, creature comforts, and fit/finish.

We had a 2007 Lexus RX350 with almost 300K miles on it. The interior still looks as good as the day we bought it with 30K. Our son has it now as basically a spare vehicle.
    This times 10. I will take a used Lexus/Accura over new Toyota/Honda any day.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Always had good luck with Honda Accords and Civics, and Ford Rangers. Family has good luck with Toyota Camrys. Wife and I both drive Subaru Foresters now. Obviously not a sports car, but they're perfect for us and with the seats down, haul a lot of stuff, which we need in the print business. Love not worrying about the snow any more.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I’m also in the “old pickup is going, so what to get?” Thinking maybe Honda Ridgeline since I’ll still need to haul stuff I don’t want to put in a car.
    This is what I have. A 2019 Sport model, which is the last year before they went with the push button shifter and 9 speed automatic. I love the new front end for 2021, which is more "trucky" than my 2019. If I towed a lot, did a lot of off-roading or used a truck for work, I'd get a full size like an F150 or Tundra, but I only need a pickup bed a few times a year so the Ridgeline is perfect. I use the in-bed trunk all the time, something you will not find on any other pickup.

This is the new 2021 model with the revised front end.

Do want. :)

RL.png

Top Bottom