• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Question: I always read about CVT's being garbage, but I never read of any vast numbers of them going bad? I'm not argueing what you say 'cause I don't know that much about them. My wife and I drive Subarus with the CVT, hence my interest to learn more about them.

Nissan had some kind of big recall on CVT's. I think they're a relatively young technology, so yeah some of them do suck! Don't buy an older car with a CVT! But with most(every?) brand making them the default choice in their mass-market small vehicles, you know they're not all bad.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Nissan had some kind of big recall on CVT's. I think they're a relatively young technology, so yeah some of them do suck! Don't buy an older car with a CVT! But with most(every?) brand making them the default choice in their mass-market small vehicles, you know they're not all bad.
    Belts don't belong in a car transmission.

CVT is fine for atv, mini bike, snowmobiles, but IMO not a car.

If you do have interest in a CVT car, maybe contact @d.kaufman to hear his thoughts on it. He is for sure more knowledgeable on this than I am.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Really enjoying the discussion here guys, I'm glad I asked.

My current daily is a 2005 GMC Canyon. According to the internet, it's not a reliable vehicle, so I've been saving for replacement for a long while, no refinancing the house required.

I also have a 2006 Chevy Colorado that's been LS-swapped(Small/light, V8, RWD). It's a piece of junk, but it (currently) fills the role of Toy, hence why I don't need the mustang/camaro/charger.

I think my request for "not depressing" has worked well here. Some people enjoy econo-cars, others BMW's. I've been driving the same truck for a decade(almost 200,000 miles in that time, eight laps around the equator), so everything sounds interesting right now.

I appreciate all the suggestions, I'm trying to break free of Analysis Paralysis.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Really enjoying the discussion here guys, I'm glad I asked.

My current daily is a 2005 GMC Canyon. According to the internet, it's not a reliable vehicle, so I've been saving for replacement for a long while, no refinancing the house required.

I also have a 2006 Chevy Colorado that's been LS-swapped(Small/light, V8, RWD). It's a piece of junk, but it (currently) fills the role of Toy, hence why I don't need the mustang/camaro/charger.

I think my request for "not depressing" has worked well here. Some people enjoy econo-cars, others BMW's. I've been driving the same truck for a decade(almost 200,000 miles in that time, eight laps around the equator), so everything sounds interesting right now.

I appreciate all the suggestions, I'm trying to break free of Analysis Paralysis.
    Is your Canyon a 3.5 or 2.8?

I would have loved to get ahold of a factory 5.3 Colorado

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Question: I always read about CVT's being garbage, but I never read of any vast numbers of them going bad? I'm not argueing what you say 'cause I don't know that much about them. My wife and I drive Subarus with the CVT, hence my interest to learn more about them.

If you can remove the rev limiter, a CVT will go as fast backwards as it does forwards.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Is your Canyon a 3.5 or 2.8?

I would have loved to get ahold of a factory 5.3 Colorado
    3.5,4x4,ext.cab. I really count my blessings that it's been crazy reliable. The factory 5.3's were expensive then and they've stayed expensive! What a truck that would have been in a regular cab.....(which my V8 is! :D)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    3.5,4x4,ext.cab. I really count my blessings that it's been crazy reliable. The factory 5.3's were expensive then and they've stayed expensive! What a truck that would have been in a regular cab.....(which my V8 is! :D)
    I'm jealous, I always wanted a V8 square body S10 or LS Colorado, and yes those 5.3 Colorado have stayed pricey.

I think you would like the Toyota Camry 3.5 V6, they're pretty peppy and still can do 30+ mpg. The Lexus counterpart would be a lil nicer finish and a little more $. Used market they may be more equal pricing though.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Keep your eyes open for an off-lease certified used car. Leased cars are usually very well taken care of because of penalties assessed at the end of the lease for not taking care of the vehicle, and the certified cars usually come with an extended warranty.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I had a regular cab 2wd colorado with the 3.7 and that thing was a decent ripper. Also pulled my little 6x12 enclosed trailer with 2 harleys in it through the smokeys no problem.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Ask any Toyota RAV4 owner if they go bad. Very few last to 80k.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Don't pick a turbo car of any kind. Your lack of regular and timely oil changes and air filter changes will end badly with a turbo engine of any kind. I believe the 2016 and older Civic SI is NA.
    Toyota Camry 3.5 V6 is 300hp and pretty good mileage.
    I've had plenty of turbo cars and never once had a turbo issue. Hell, my car now has two turbos and they are the least of my worries.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've had plenty of turbo cars and never once had a turbo issue. Hell, my car now has two turbos and they are the least of my worries.
    His point wasn't, do not to get a turbo in general, it was do not get one if you do not maintain your engine.
    Your lack of regular and timely oil changes and air filter changes will end badly with a turbo engine of any kind.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    GMC 1500 regular cab with tow package and power everything is $29,425 delivered to a dealer.

If you get a 2020 one already done you currently get 4k off and it will run right at $24k for 2 wheel drive single cab, with tow package. They are available.

Top Bottom