• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Many of the motorists in southern Johnson Co. tend to stop for roundabouts and roll through stop signs(when they're not doing the patented double stop).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Many of the motorists in southern Johnson Co. tend to stop for roundabouts and roll through stop signs(when they're not doing the patented double stop).

Ain't just southern JoCo, neighbor!

I live almost equidistant between all 3 of the big roundabouts in Greenwood. MOST of the time they're no problem at all to navigate.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The one at Smith Valley and 31 seems to work fairly well but I rarely drive that way. I drive through the one at Whiteland Rd. any day I work from the office and idiots are numerous. The smaller ones on 144 in Johnson and Morgan seem to be full of idiots no matter the time and I have to navigate both of those frequently.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    OP...sorry to hear about your accident, sadly, not everyone out there is competent behind the wheel of a motor vehicle!

Roundabouts... personally, I like them. There're a much more efficient method of keeping traffic moving, as well as aiding in reducing wear-n-tear on one's vehicle as you don't have to make as many complete stops, as opposed to having to wait through staring contests by other drivers at 4-way stops!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Worked in Brazil for 8 months, where I was at I can not recall any traffic lights, probably were some that I just do not remember.

Anyway, hate to say it, but it seems like roundabouts are only a USA issue.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The only problem with roundabouts is that the require a modicum of intelligence to use correctly and when the driving public is used to being herded like sheep....that's an issue.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Worked in Brazil for 8 months, where I was at I can not recall any traffic lights, probably were some that I just do not remember.

I think the USA issue is probably a result that many in our culture are raised in a paradigm where things should be organized and orderly with clear rules, everyone should obey them, and everyone should wait for their turn. Roundabouts, at least at first appearance, are contrary to that mindset.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think the USA issue is probably a result that many in our culture are raised in a paradigm where things should be organized and orderly with clear rules, everyone should obey them, and everyone should wait for their turn. Roundabouts, at least at first appearance, are contrary to that mindset.

As a test for your theory, do the Germans have roundabouts? Because based on that description, if they do, they would be clotted with wreckage the first day

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Yeah, but there ARE rules and best practices with roundabouts...it's just a matter of caring enough to know what they are.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As a test for your theory, do the Germans have roundabouts? Because based on that description, if they do, they would be clotted with wreckage the first day

Different! They are in Europe. They are already programmed to use roundabouts. It will take us a while to get to the point where they are standards here.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    The only problem with roundabouts is that the require a modicum of intelligence to use correctly and when the driving public is used to being herded like sheep....that's an issue.

I agree with this, and will add: When was the last time Indiana drivers had to take a driving test to show their competence in navigating a roundabout? The last time I took a driving test was in 1991. Like I have been telling PhotoNinja for the past several years- with all the new roundy-rounds, Indiana needs to have drivers tests every 6 years.

I do not dislike roundabouts, it is those who fail to learn how to navigate them that I have a problem with. And that also goes for four-way stops...it's not a 4-way roll-through!!
    *sorry if I'm a little edgy, just spent the past 2 hours dealing with the initial claims process...needless to say I am not in a good place. Now I get to take my time to get a quote and all that involves.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I pulled up behind a car waiting to enter a roundabout even though nothing is coming. He/she is waiting for the car upstream to start into the roundabout. The car upstream continues to set still while they play with their phone. Both cars wait long enough until a third car comes around which evidently gives them comfort to proceed. Of course, the car ahead of me still waited for the phone addict to pass before proceeding.
    A freakin stop light sequence would have been quicker but I'm training myself not to use the horn anymore.
    I will be polite. I will be polite.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Problem here in the states.
    They make the round-a-abouts to small.
    In Europe they are twice the size.
    That makes them a lot easier to navigate.
    I can not wait until they finish the STUPID us2 & 20 overpass.
    I will bet every dollar I have.
    There will big problems.

Just think about what you have to do to travel from S. Bend to La Porte, or
    Michigan City to New Carlisle.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The worst is getting used to roundabouts then running into one where the traffic going round yields to traffic coming in. Just about got into a wreck getting onto Arlington memorial bridge in DC.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Not at all! In fact, we in the USA are just beginners at roundabouts. Once we get gooder at it we will be able to make ones like this one in China.

kuSaVTg.jpg

Top Bottom