• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Roundabouts, in general, are great. They improve efficiency of movement and therefore fuel efficiency. They also cut down on the number of severe accidents. The number of minor accidents goes up, however.
    Are you sure?

Just a cursory search finds a report of 37% reduction in total collisions.

Sorry for the poor quality...
    [video=youtube;puK5CwThaq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puK5CwThaq4[/video]

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You don't change lanes in a roundabout. Ever. Of course, people are too stupid to master that simple concept, and negligents happen. I refuse to call it an "accident" if it occurred due to negligence.

People would rather cut other people off than go around again, or God forbid, just go down to the next street and turn. I love roundabouts. I hate other motorists.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You don't change lanes in a roundabout. Ever. Of course, people are too stupid to master that simple concept, and negligents happen. I refuse to call it an "accident" if it occurred due to negligence.

People would rather cut other people off than go around again, or God forbid, just go down to the next street and turn. I love roundabouts. I hate other motorists.

Motorist that cut lanes in a roundabout near me suffer the wrath of my horn.

Near home is roundabout with two lanes, the road in on out are just one. Tonight, for logical reasons, I chose the lane opposite of the car in front of me. I ended up exiting first and got ahead of him - he was not happy. Yet, afterwards the gap greatly increased so I certainly didn't cost him any time...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

If you're on the inside lane and only the outside lane let's you go to the right, how do you manage to go to the right without changing lanes?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you're turning right, then you enter the roundabout in the right lane. But you already knew that. :):

That good if you know where you're going, but when I go somewhere in Carmel in the mazes off of Meridian St, I'm usually navigating 50% guesswork and 50% experimentation. I've been in roundabouts and not known which lane I needed until it was too late.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I'm two weeks into Indiana and still getting used to these roundabouts. It makes it even more stressful that everyone in this damn town but me seems to have a European sports car. The figure 8's and multi-lane ones can be tricky, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    There's one close to where live, it's in Greenville, OH. It's got a huge fountain in the middle and has been there forever. Even though it's a small town it's a real PITA during certain times of the day. If you want to get across then you don't stop unless you're going to hit someone. Once you stop you are screwed. It's on the main route through town and that road leads to the industrial park. Most of the factories let out around the same time. If you stop before entering the circle then the next half mile of cars entering from the side will just keep flowing through on each others bumper like water.

I hate the Fing thing. I'm sorry, but if I'm sitting at the entrance of the circle and had to stop because of a pedestrian then I still believe that I have the right of way to enter the circle before the car that's still 1500 feet down the road behind another 30 cars and still has a couple stop signs to go through. These people don't see it that way though. A lot of times it's actually quicker to go through the 2 staggered stop lights (gotta have them staggered so we can view the wonders of the town) a block away.

The roads that approach the circle are one lane in and one lane out, however the circle itself is 2 lanes wide, and they aren't marked. That makes it so much fun when someone from out of town drives through. They have no idea and are weaving across both lanes. As soon as the factory workers enter the circle they spread out making it impossible to even enter during certain times of the day.

6790114052_48e4918865_z.jpg
    Look kids*** Big Ben, Parliament...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

If you never change lanes in a roundabout, then everybody should be in the outside lane only (where they entered) so the inside lane can be done away with

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That good if you know where you're going, but when I go somewhere in Carmel in the mazes off of Meridian St, I'm usually navigating 50% guesswork and 50% experimentation. I've been in roundabouts and not known which lane I needed until it was too late.

Then go around again. I have done this when confused. No knock on you just a simple way to get the lay of the land and make a proper decision.

Agrv8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    I like roundabouts as it’s an old method of keeping traffic moving.
    The problem is that a lot of drivers in this day and age, have a plethora of distractions. Between touchscreen navigation/radios and smartphones in hand, it’s no wonder why people get involved in accidents in the roundabouts. Paying attention to lane assignments is important.
    As a licensed insurance agent, I see it all too often. I can hope for people to get their heads out of phones and pay attention to the road and other vehicles.

Good luck on a new bumper. Maybe a good excuse to upgrade, maybe add a winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Then go around again. I have done this when confused. No knock on you just a simple way to get the lay of the land and make a proper decision.

Sure, but . . . after you go around again and you're still in the wrong lane . . . what do you do? Can't change lanes!

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I spent some time working in Ireland in 2010/2011. There is a roundabout near cork city that the locals call the magic roundabout.
    I have a picture but i can't link it.
    I spent 4 months planning routes that avoided it even though it was almost impossible.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Just drive like these guys and you will have mastered the roundabout!

1WM0lVU
    [video=youtube;sl_nyplcYqA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_nyplcYqA[/video]

[video=youtube;3J1PpqMiwgg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J1PpqMiwgg[/video]

[video=youtube;xXNGQK4WF5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXNGQK4WF5E[/video]

[video=dailymotion;xd81dq]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd81dq[/video]

[video=youtube;Vd7aE_1WoBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd7aE_1WoBI[/video]

[video=youtube;704vMj4GVx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704vMj4GVx0[/video]

Top Bottom