I had forgotten how much house hunting sucks.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It has to. Nothing rolls this hard forever. It just can’t.
    Especially when these huge increases are not the result of any value added to the home. It's because we have a shortage of inventory. The old supply and demand economics.

Hopefully we will reach more of a balance, then a sharp decline. Time will tell.

Reactions: Jin

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, enough about realtors, how about crazy house design stuff.

One thing I really hate, and is hard to avoid in many older houses, is additions. Just tacked on rooms for the sake of adding square footage. You didn't consider roof lines or angles or drainage, you didn't blend the exterior siding to the rest of the house. Then there are the ones that have had so many additions over the years that they have become geometric oddities. Like some sort of modern art disasters. Just confusing, confounding assemblages of rooms to a house that may have been properly designed at some point, even if small.

Another thing that is an immediate rejection is when your driveway runs up directly to the point where your garage has been converted to a family room or den or whatever, and you have no garage. Where the heck are we supposed to park our vehicles under cover on this property? Let them sit out and be exposed to to the weather? Just to have a den?

Why does it always have to be fronted with T-111? Why is anything sheathed in T-111? If your addition is sheathed in T-111, that's bad enough, but a full T-111 exterior? No. No,no,no,no,no,no,no. Price your house like I'm looking at a complete exterior remodel.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    It has to. Nothing rolls this hard forever. It just can’t.

Churchmouse, I don't think this is a bubble, I think it's a new baseline. If we're still friends and both still here, please call me out on this in a year or two. Or 5 years even.

That offer is open to everyone, but I'm asking churchmouse specifically, because I've met him. Please call me out on this if I'm wrong. I kinda hope I am, but I think I'm not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse, I don't think this is a bubble, I think it's a new baseline. If we're still friends and both still here, please call me out on this in a year or two. Or 5 years even.

That offer is open to everyone, but I'm asking churchmouse specifically, because I've met him. Please call me out on this if I'm wrong. I kinda hope I am, but I think I'm not.
    Not worthy of calling you out as I kind of hope the values stay up. We are not sure what we will be doing in a few years with the compound.
    No reason not to be friends.....:):

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We plan to have our house listed within the next 6 to 8 weeks.

We are talking about just renting a place for the time being. I got a great deal on our house several years ago and can more than double my money. We just refuse to pay these crazy prices at the moment. It may take a year, maybe a bit longer, but prices will drop.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

One thing I really hate, and is hard to avoid in many older houses, is additions. Just tacked on rooms for the sake of adding square footage. You didn't consider roof lines or angles or drainage, you didn't blend the exterior siding to the rest of the house. Then there are the ones that have had so many additions over the years that they have become geometric oddities. Like some sort of modern art disasters. Just confusing, confounding assemblages of rooms to a house that may have been properly designed at some point, even if small.

Another thing that is an immediate rejection is when your driveway runs up directly to the point where your garage has been converted to a family room or den or whatever, and you have no garage. Where the heck are we supposed to park our vehicles under cover on this property? Let them sit out and be exposed to to the weather? Just to have a den?

Why does it always have to be fronted with T-111? Why is anything sheathed in T-111? If your addition is sheathed in T-111, that's bad enough, but a full T-111 exterior? No. No,no,no,no,no,no,no. Price your house like I'm looking at a complete exterior remodel.
    HGTV has ruined so many homes!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'm hoping you are correct! I want my home to continue to increase in value. I've done a LOT of work but it's worth double what I paid for it six years ago.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am on a Risk Management panel discussion tomorrow and have been pulling together some numbers. Evansville market comparing the same April-May period of 2020 vs 2021. The most telling changes are average/median days on market have gone from 48/16 to 15/2. that's right, median days on market is 2. Avg./median price for a defined "typical" home are up 13%/10% which is double the rate for a normal good year.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

It's like the gun market. Everyone is rolling out the one they could not get rid of before, because buyers are accepting things that would not fly in what was considered a normal market.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I think we are gonna go thru a 2006-2008 again myself, and this time on steroids. Everything is inflated so bad right now. And people buying homes that are 2-3-$400K. The last bubble, lenders were loaning people 150-200% the value of the home, well they fixed that so it can never happen again, add purple. Now instead of lending 200% of the value of the home, they just appraise it for twice what it is worth. Same result, different route. Imagine building a new home right now in a fancy lil neighborhood...say the house was $200,000 last Spring and this year it is $350,000, because of demand and lumber costs. Now say you go ahead and build that home for 350K and in 2-3 years lumber prices come back down, demand slows....well now you have a 3 year old house that you owe $100,000 more for than the identical brand new home next door being built. That can't be healthy for home values.

This is not the first time lumber has spiked. We have dealt with $30-40 a sheet OSB many times before.....when everyone gets back to work and off the government tit, supply and demand will equalize.....and then we will see where it stands.

I hope I am wrong as well...but I know one thing, nothing goes up forever and usually the harder they go up the harder they come down.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    The last offer we put in was $30K over asking.... Cash. They wanted a letter about how much we liked our cats! They sold it to the other couple " because they reminded me of my parents" !
    I :poop: you not !!!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    gregkl, Hoosierdood, and Denny347, thanks for your input. I've been rolling the idea of a buyer's agent around in my head, and there are pros and cons of it. I'll roll it around some more and discuss it with my wife.
    Could you explain the cons? They work for you, listing broker compensates them...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We plan to have our house listed within the next 6 to 8 weeks.

We are talking about just renting a place for the time being. I got a great deal on our house several years ago and can more than double my money. We just refuse to pay these crazy prices at the moment. It may take a year, maybe a bit longer, but prices will drop.
    Have you really looked at the rental market? Most homes rent for 150-200% what their payment would be..

Top Bottom