• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I use a Chinese VFD with single phase 220 input and power both my 3 phase motors, a .75hp on the mill and a 1.5hp on the lathe. I use a 2 position toggle switch to go from mill to lathe. Over a year with no issues. Except that I discovered recently I've been running it as default 50Hz instead of 60Hz. Now the motors run quieter and I gained some RPM too, not that I necessarily needed it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My old bridgeport and logan lathe are on VFD's.
    I had never used a roto phase and it just didn't sound like a good idea to me.
    We have three phase at the farm but not my shop so I was familiar with it.
    Of course, the price of a VFD goes exponentially up with the hp requirements, but a little 2 horse Bridgeport was a couple hundred max IIRC. Runs it very nicely.

Not all VFD's are made just to convert single to three phase, some are just speed control, our new-to-us grain dryer uses them and it's so nice to have an auger turn the right speed, not just full speed.

I will say that using a VFD on the mill did increase my learning curve as a complete noob, as the speed on the mill dial becomes meaningless.
    Thank you, I was just surfing some of the new stuff on the market.
    But yes, Ive been around VFD's But all were in the elevator industry or well pumps up to 10hp, and its been a few years now. I have a 5hp roto phase and it does a good job especially over a static box.
    I'm not a machinist myself, fabricator/welder is a better fit.
    I bought it when I first bought a 3hp 4"x72" belt grinder and my metal 2hp Kalamazoo saw.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I use a Chinese VFD with single phase 220 input and power both my 3 phase motors, a .75hp on the mill and a 1.5hp on the lathe. I use a 2 position toggle switch to go from mill to lathe. Over a year with no issues. Except that I discovered recently I've been running it as default 50Hz instead of 60Hz. Now the motors run quieter and I gained some RPM too, not that I necessarily needed it.
    Are you loosing a 1/3 of your motor HP like when to use a Static Starter to run 3 ph on single ph?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Congrats they are great machines,In the 70’s my dad had a mill, think it was a Bridgeport, that was made in the 1920’s, was amazing. I’m sure it’s still going strong somewhere!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Congrats on a Nice Purchase.
    Dad was a Retired Machinist w/30+ Yrs of Exp.
    I remember him speaking Fondly of Bridgeport Milling machines.
    RIP SSGT RMM.

Top Bottom