• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well, guess I am just an old turd now. Found out my hip is toast and must be replaced. I have fought this thing for years.....and will soon have it replaced. I was injured 43 years ago playing football and had 3 pins inserted in my hip, they are like 3 1/2" long. I was suppose to go back and have them removed 6 months later, but my mother passed away and I never went back......so now the pins are buried beneath bone and have to be removed as hip is being replaced. Kind of spooked to be honest......but everyone says hip replacements are not that bad. Dr. says I should be back on the ladder in 6-8 weeks after surgery.......I hope he is right! Any of you had this done? How was your recovery?

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Well, guess I am just an old turd now. Found out my hip is toast and must be replaced. I have fought this thing for years.....and will soon have it replaced. I was injured 43 years ago playing football and had 3 pins inserted in my hip, they are like 3 1/2" long. I was suppose to go back and have them removed 6 months later, but my mother passed away and I never went back......so now the pins are buried beneath bone and have to be removed as hip is being replaced. Kind of spooked to be honest......but everyone says hip replacements are not that bad. Dr. says I should be back on the ladder in 6-8 weeks after surgery.......I hope he is right! Any of you had this done? How was your recovery?
    My wife's mom had both hips replaced about 8 months apart in the past year. She has had a really good recovery, and was only down and on a walker for about 4 weeks. Important thing is doing the physical therapy recommendations, both with the professionals and on your own at home. She gets around just fine and now has no pain from what she says...still lives on her own up in Michigan and visits her girls down here a few times a year. Good luck on the procedure.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Modern Medicine has progressed greatly with replacement/repair surgery. Find a good Doctor/Surgeon and a Therapist that knows their stuff. That may be the hardest. I was Fortunate that I had an Excellent Doctor and he arranged at home therapy. That was a Godsend. Good Luck. Normally, I recover quickly and it was 6 months before I was back to normal.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Your doctor is probably right. My husband had one when he was around 60. It was during all the Covid crap, so i couldn't be at the hospital with him, just dropped him off and picked him up the next day. He was pretty much back to normal within a couple months. Really wasn't bad at all after the first week.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With watching my dad and sfather go through knees and hips, its a walk in the park nowdays.
    Both of them were exercise guys before the replacments. So they were in good shape before the replacments.
    Both were on just OTC pain pills within a day or so.
    When you get the ok, work the **** out of it.
    Keep that scar tissue to a minium.
    Good luck

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I had right side total hip arthroplasty last November. I wouldn't say it was nothing, but there was a lot less pain than I thought there would be. See if your surgeon does the anterior method with the Hana table, much less invasive and minimal cutting of muscle, so pain and recovery time are minimized. I filled the prescription for Oxycontin; I ended up only needed 2 pills. Both on Day 3. Beware Day 3. :(

It sounds obvious, but do your pre-and post surgery PT exercises as instructed diligently, no less, but also, no more. I "pushed through the pain" while doing post-op PT at home, and set my recovery back 2 weeks. Good luck!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Had mine done in April and it's the most solid part of my body now. Very little pain. Follow instructions. Do the therapy. You'll feel better than you have in years. Like Oze says, don't over-do, especially the first few weeks. Take it slow on steps.

Best of luck with it.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Had mine done in April and it's the most solid part of my body now. Very little pain. Follow instructions. Do the therapy. You'll feel better than you have in years. Like Oze says, don't over-do, especially the first few weeks. Take it slow on steps.

Best of luck with it.

Glad all went well, Steve!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Man, a lot of people have had this done it seems! My surgeon does go thru the front......anterior I guess it is. Thanks for all the encouraging words. I have hurt for so long now, kind of excited to see if I hurt less.

You are not old enough for this to be a big problem for you, my friend. How soon are they doing it?

I watched my father go through a few of these. Each time easier and easier.

Few things to keep in mind...

- If you are carrying around any extra weight, now would be a great time to shed it. Don't allow weight to sneak back during rehab.
    - Take the rehab serious. Push as hard as they will let you go.
    - Separate from the pain meds as fast as possible.

:)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My dad had one several years ago. May he rest in peace. I mean, that's not what kil't him, but he's still dead now.

Anyway: They'll have you standing later that same day. I couldn't believe that - but long gone are the days where they immobilize a patient and let them heal, motionless, for a week. Nope - mobility exercises / PT / OT literally begin the same day.

Everyone handles pain differently. I recommend keeping ahead of the pain with the Rx meds (because, of course, I'm totally a doctor) because it's easier to keep ahead and on top of it vs. trying to catch back up. You know you and you know how you react to pain ain/or pain meds, though. Ask for non-opioid if at all possible.

And do yourself a favor and do NOT Google how they do hip replacement surgeries.

Top Bottom