• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know nothing has been passed; this is not an attempt at fear-mongering, just something that occurred to me. We all know that "high capacity" is a political fabrication. The entire point behind a double stack magazine is to fit more rounds in. And I still say that if 10 rounds are "enough" for the average citizen to defend him/herself, it should be "enough" for law enforcement officers as well. But let's set all that aside for a moment.

We've all heard 9mm vs 45acp argued to death. One of the advantages thats often given for a 9mm pistol is a higher capacity. It's certainly one of the things that went through my mind when I bought my first pistol. If a "high capacity" magazine ban did get passed, it would level that particular playing field. So if magazine capacity did get equalized that way, do you think the firearm companies will see more people buying the 45 in the same platform?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Possible, but the last AWB resulted in at least two entirely new companies popping up- Kahr and Keltec. Since they couldn't go for larger capacity, they went in an entirely different direction. Small, concealable semi-autos. I'm sure some would go for larger/heavier ammo as well.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Nope. People are creatures of habit and not given to change their mind on most subjects. If they've shot 9mm in the past, they will in the future. Magazine capacity is usually only one item in a longer list of reasons why a person prefers 9 vs 45. I am a 9mm man myself. If magazines are limited to 10 rounds, I have no plans on changing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So if magazine capacity did get equalized that way, do you think the firearm companies will see more people buying the 45 in the same platform?

Yes, in 1994 to 2004, pistols became smaller and larger calibered.

The Brady Bunch created a new term "pocket rockets" to describe this reaction of the market to their inane legislation.

From the Year 2000 during the AWB:

VPC - Pocket Rockets

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    " Their portability also increases the risk for indiscriminate use by previously law-abiding citizens thrust into moments of anger, depression, or other emotional instability."

:facepalm:

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Of course. EBR's are bad because they're too big. Small, moderate-capacity handguns are bad because they're too small. Next, bolt-action rifles are bad because they're "sniper rifles." Then, .22's are bad because they're cheap, available, and "nearly as lethal" as bigger stuff. After that, it will be time to close the "muzzleloader loophole" because they're not regulated as "firearms" despite being (gasp!) .50 caliber and larger.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the rhetoric is all headed.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Hypothetical post

blahblah_zpsc16ca5bc.gif
    blahblah_zpsc16ca5bc.gif
    blahblah_zpsc16ca5bc.gif
    blahblah_zpsc16ca5bc.gif
    blahblah_zpsc16ca5bc.gif

bacondance_zpsa586bbc7.gif

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The magazine that came with your pistol and fits fluch is a standard capacity magazine, not a high capacity magazine. Don't give them the courtesy of using their incorrect terms.
    :twocents:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    In my circumstance, increased round capacity was a consideration in the move to a semi auto from a revolver. It was not the determining factor but in the pro column none the less(I did not get rid of anything as I still have a "thing" for revolvers as well...).

In chosing between the 9mm and 45 cal, if the cost of 45 cal ammo was the same (or even close for that matter) of the 9mm, I very possibly might be sporting a P220(which I still have a soft spot for...) instead of going the direction I did.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If a magazine limit were to be put for 10 round capacity would it also affect handguns or would it be limited only to what they call an "assault weapon"? I'm planning on purchasing a s&w M&p 9mm compact within the next month. Should i get it this week before anything gets started? or do i wait untill my LTCH arrives?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If a magazine limit were to be put for 10 round capacity would it also affect handguns or would it be limited only to what they call an "assault weapon"? I'm planning on purchasing a s&w M&p 9mm compact within the next month. Should i get it this week before anything gets started? or do i wait untill my LTCH arrives?

Waiting on your LTCH changes nothing, one way or another. Gun shop won't ask to see it, and it will be irrelevant to the purchase. Only reason to wait would be if you have financial matters holding you back.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up

If you have the money, buy it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Waiting on your LTCH changes nothing, one way or another. Gun shop won't ask to see it, and it will be irrelevant to the purchase. Only reason to wait would be if you have financial matters holding you back.

haha not the jack the thread but i have been wondering about a 10 round limit and what it would do for handguns for awhile... you hit it right on the head. The reason i would wait is because it's hard to come by disposable money while in college yet. I'm set on purchasing this handgun soon, but should the "hypothetical magazine ban" push me along to buy it sooner?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville

I'd get a 17 round magazine for that firearm (and a grip extender) before I even bought the firearm. You're going to pay out the nose for it, but as of now, it isn't illegal.

Indianavette

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I would buy it now if finanically able to do so. Both of the local gun shops in my area are out of almost everything. It will get worse before it gets better.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd get a 17 round magazine for that firearm (and a grip extender) before I even bought the firearm. You're going to pay out the nose for it, but as of now, it isn't illegal.

If a ban goes through, will it be illegal to buy and sell hi cap magazines amongst private individuals? Or does it apply to dealers only?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    If a ban goes through, will it be illegal to buy and sell hi cap magazines amongst private individuals? Or does it apply to dealers only?

Previously, it only applied to the manufacture and sale of new stock.

However, as you can see in New York, anything can happen. New Yorkers have to unload their "high cap" mags out of state.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    In the beginning assault weapons were sticks and stones and my yard is full of them both. Maybe they will send some goverment workers over to confiscate them too.

Top Bottom