• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    First off, is there a slang term like 'yotes, but for moles? Need to call it something cool.

Secondly, just checking, is there a mole season?

Third, does anyone have a surefire way to kill these pests? Another strange animal that serves no useful purpose other than to daily yank my chain.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Easiet way I ever had was the neighbor's dog. When he was around, I never had a serious mole problem. I had to back fill the occasional hole but having virtually no moles was worth it. Plus I didn't have to feed it.

I miss that dog...Badly.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I believe rat poison works. If not, get a scoped .22 and bipod, and sit on your porch.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    my family used to have a pair of rat terriers that took care of many moles when i was a kid. they make various types of traps and poisons. i've also heard that juicy fruit gum drives them away.

dmil12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    The traps with the spikes work well - I think Menards has cheap ones. Just set them on the tunnels that are pretty straight - those are the main use tunnels. Killed 5 of them a few years ago and they haven't been back.

MuayThaiGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My dad fought moles for years and the spike traps worked pretty well but they just kept coming back. The thing that finally drove them off was grub killer. It is a granule that you put down with a broadcast spreader twice a year(at least his brand) and it kills their primary source of food.

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    The traps with the spikes work well - I think Menards has cheap ones. Just set them on the tunnels that are pretty straight - those are the main use tunnels. Killed 5 of them a few years ago and they haven't been back.

+1 - Trapping and killing are the best way. Grub control will also kill worms, which is detrimental for the overall health of your lawn. Bait, gum and poison might get the dumber ones, but they will be few and far between.

Get a few spiky traps and walk your lawn, crushing all the runs. The ones that return in 1-2 days will be the main runs and the ones you want to set your traps on. Just remember where you put them, as your lawnmower will make quick scrap of any you forget about.

moletrap.jpg

Q651aQSTEVHP59vEpIJWDZIczXcMvgeSaB36Rol64T0

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Carbon monoxide from your car exhaust. An adapter from the hardware store from your exhaust pipe to a garden hose. Put the hose into a tunnel, start your engine. It doesn't take very long to kill all of them.

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    getting rid of the grubs for sure! also heavy doses of scott's weed and feed seems to work really well. not only does it make the yard look nice but something in it seems to drive the moles away.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    I suppose we could call them mo's. I have 3 German shepherds that love to kill them. Unfortunately they might dig up 100 feet of run to get one. My daughter went out on a nice day a couple weeks ago and found 4 dead moles they had gotten recently.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I had a little terrier before, but he seemed oblivious to moles (he would kill mice though).

I'll check out the grub killer, as long as it doesn't wipe out the worm population. Can also try the car exhaust.

I have an unlimited supply of moles from the park next door, and my neighbors' yards, but it's worth a try...

Thanks to all! :ingo:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    ya know those little "firecrackers" you can find at the 1500? i bet those would make em run for the hills if youd want a little fun out of blowing up the yard.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You may or may not believe this, but I know it works.

Get some Wriggley's spearmint gum. Not peppermint, not wintergreen, but spearmint. It makes a difference, I don't know why, but it does.
    Open the package, pull out a stick of gum. Roll the stick of gum into a "worm" looking shape. Moles are all but blind but the shape matters.
    Anyway, take your spearmint gum "worm" and shove it down the holes you can find in your yard.

Moles cannot regergitate, and they cannot digest gum. They will die of intestinal compaction. It will actually constipate them to death!

I got this remedy more than 20 years ago from a grounds keeper at a local golf course. Sounds nasty, but it works.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I don't remember where I saw it, but... There is a propane torch type outfit that fills the runs with propane then ignites it.:rockwoot:When I saw it I thought "great now people will be blowing themselves up". I really wanted one, but alas, the wife wouldn't forlk over the money for it.:xmad: Looked like a fun way to get rid of mo's. Nothing better than a good explosion.

Top Bottom