• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You'd think two Arsch kickings would have set them straight.

Had a going away party für Sau Merkel the other night, it seems.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, I speed watched it again. Are you confused about the Big Tattoo because of the torches?

I can explain what is going on if you want but it is an old German/Prussian ceremony for high level dignitaries, think
    "retreat or Taps" but an entire involved ceremony because . . . you know . . . Germans.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Meh, not like I am worried about them trying it again. We completely emasculated the German Army after WWII. Such a shame. I absolutely loved talking to vets that served on each front when I was stationed there.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I was told marching with torches was racist, white supremacist stuff. Germans, of all people, do it, and not a peep.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I was told marching with torches was racist, white supremacist stuff. Germans, of all people, do it, and not a peep.
    I think what Kirk's link shows is that marching with torches is a German thing, and when Germans do it they are simply doing a German thing.

However, marching with torches is not an American thing. Thus, it has a different context in this country because our knowledge of it is in the context of a certain group of Germans in the 1930's that was doing a German thing at the time.

Hopefully, that makes sense. In other words, Germans marching with torches equals Germans doing German thing. Americans marching with torches equals Americans doing Nazi Germany thing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think what Kirk's link shows is that marching with torches is a German thing, and when Germans do it they are simply doing a German thing.

However, marching with torches is not an American thing. Thus, it has a different context in this country because our knowledge of it is in the context of a certain group of Germans in the 1930's that was doing a German thing at the time.

Hopefully, that makes sense. In other words, Germans marching with torches equals Germans doing German thing. Americans marching with torches equals Americans doing Nazi Germany thing.
    This is why foreign travel is a good thing - you can see and understand different cultures.

I wish I was I Berlin for that, but I'll be there soon, so I hope the saunas are hot, and the beer is cold.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

So it’s about how your actions are perceived, not what your intentions are?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    So it’s about how your actions are perceived, not what your intentions are?
    That may be your perception of what I said, but it was not my intention.

Someone finally got what I was alluding to.
    The Germans in the OP are clearly honoring an outgoing leader. If you perceive it as something else, then the problem is with your perception, not their intentions.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    That may be your perception of what I said, but it was not my intention.

The Germans in the OP are clearly honoring an outgoing leader. If you perceive it as something else, then the problem is with your perception, not their intentions.
    I didn't perceive it as anything. My post was a commentary on modern woke leftists to whom everything is symbolic of racism and white supremacy. I found it odd there was no outrage considering the ancestry of the group white people marching with torches started the whole racist fascism thing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, because we know what the Big Tattoo is. Many of us have traveled to Germany, served in Germany, know Germans, studied their history and/or speak their language. Unless one is dressing up like the ghosts of Confederate soldiers or, you know, actual Nazis.

It is all about context, buck:

German military doing a German military ceremony=>not racists.

American racists dressing up like racists=>racist.

Top Bottom