• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    It's a good thing you aren't required to buy that many then. After Sandy Hook, I joined many here that decided to not get caught wanting again. I ended up North of that number because of that. I probably have more than that in 22s. When you can go through more than 1K in a day of shooting, it really isn't that many.
    BUT, I have a butt load of reloading components!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you knew this young man ( rider ), it isn’t a fun fact. Tragic loss for his family and community.
    I am sure it was terrible. I apologize to anyone that took offense. I lost my sister days before her 18th birthday because she was going too fast on wet roads. It is a terrible thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I looked around, and didn`t see anything about this anywhere else here. But nevertheless...is 22,000 rounds of ammo a "huge cache"? There are competitive shooters who routinely have much more ammunition than that, and shoot it up in short order. Then there are the regular guys and gals who are shooting, firearms, hunting, prepper enthusiasts, who probably have a lot more than that, stored for SHTF situations and home defense. Yet the media continually reports on these "huge cache`s" of weapons and ammunition, making the implication that possession of this much ammo, and certain firearms indicates a dark intent, and is dangerous.

The fact is, there are an awful lot of good, decent, law-abiding American citizens who keep an awful lot of firearms and incredible amounts of ammunition, who aren`t an issue, a problem or a threat in the least. But liberals and their Nazi-esque puppet, propaganda media never miss an opportunity to spin their deceit and treachery.

Not at all. It just sounds like a lot. 22000 of anything sounds like a lot if you're unaware of what it really means. I learned the hard lessons from the ammo shortages in 2013 not to count on being able to buy ammo as I need it. So as ammo became more available at a price I was willing to pay, especially on a good sale, when I saw it I'd pick some up. That put me in the position of not having to scour all the sites for "deals" that aren't actually all that reasonable.

After the shortage was pretty much over I'd typically buy what I planned to shoot on the way to the range, so I didn't have to take it out of the "huge cache". And I guess some people even think a range day's worth of ammo is too much. One day I stopped at Cabela's on the way to the range to meet some buddies from work. I had picked up all the ammo in all the various calibers I had planned on shooting that day. Got to the cashier and I think she was thinking she was stopping the next mass shooting or something.

She practically interrogated me on why I had so much ammo. It was maybe 600 rds of various calibers. But I was in a good mood and didn't want to let her ruin it. I didn't demand to speak to the manager. I didn't even tell her to mind her own ****ing business and just do her ****ing job. I just told her something to the effect that this much is maybe enough to have a good day at the range. If she has such a hard time selling people ammo, maybe she's working for the wrong store. It probably ate her up that I got most of that ammo for free using my Cabela's card points.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Someone once said something about a shooter, I think Aurora, having 6k.
    I said, yes, at HOME.
    Why would you count that?
    Do you count the beers on the shelf at home of a DUI?

Then, I asked, do you know how much 6k weighs?
    I mean, even a dozen bricks of .22 LR is kinda heavy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am sure it was terrible. I apologize to anyone that took offense. I lost my sister days before her 18th birthday because she was going too fast on wet roads. It is a terrible thing.
    I see no need to apologize. I don't think you said anything offensive. People die because of tragedies. No one should rationally think that you meant to take light of a tragedy.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    All of the is perspective.

Consider, to the average human being on planet earth, that is absurdly excessive beyond the pale. Many humans get by on just a few dollars per day or even less, so the idea of owning a firearm and having ammo, presuming it is legal in their country, is beyond comprehension.

To the average person in the developed world (not counting USA) that is obscene. Most of them (Europeans & Asians) only do some target shooting or hunting, so that amount of ammo way beyond necessity. Not all, but most.

To the average American that is a very extreme amount. The bulk of Americans live in urban environments, where the ownership of a firearm may be for home protection or possibly target shooting, so not much ammo is required. Many Americans own firearms just for hunting, so again not much is required. For almost all home protection 100 rounds would be more than sufficient.

Finally, to American gun enthusiasts, it is a fair amount. I have a bit more than that, but not much. Not because I shoot a lot, but because I collect olde military firearms and need many different calibers to shoot. To others, that is a small amount. I remember seeing a guy was selling his WWII German machine gun. He was getting rid of 100k of belted 8mm ammo. For some enthusiasts that isn't that much, for others it is a fair amount. For a few, it's a nice start.

Caveat: I am ignoring .22 ammo in this discussion. I am talking about real ammunition. Nothing at all against .22, but it is so cheap you can't help but by hundreds of rounds at a time.

In my personal opinion it is a large amount if it is just one caliber, unless someone shoots a lot, then it seems like it would be a good stockpile to sit on.

Regarding the media, yes, they do want the drama. They love making the bad guy look really, really dangerous. By the way, so does LE, otherwise why release it? LE gets to puff up their chest and show what a "powerful" and significant threat they took out. They face danger, they need a bigger budget. It goes on and on...

Regards,

Doug
    Not to hijack the thread, well yes to hijack the thread, but where would one find ammo for a WWII Japanese Nambau pistol 8 mm if I recall correctly?

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I know that you meant no offense, didn’t mean it to sound that way. Just happen to know who you were referring.

JAJORDAN765

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Lafayette
    The media like drama. I remember Sue Scott on Lafayette TV reporting on an arrest where someone had about 1200 !!!!!!! rounds of ammo, like he was going to start WWIII. Then the picture showed two bricks of .22lr and a few boxes of 9mm.

We are in the middle of the 3rd ammo shortage in my lifetime. The 1st one, I was caught empty handed, I remember driving to a shop in South Bend to get 1000 primers and he would not sell the primers unless I bought powder too. of course he didn't have any powder I normally used.

The 2nd shortage was about 2010. It was mostly pistol ammo dried up but you could get shotshells, so I reloaded for pistol and bought shells. That time I had a good stock of primers and powder. I really did not suffer much

This one seems to be everything dried up. Shotshells, pistol rifle, primers, powder, lead shot, it is all hard to get unless you pay huge markup above full retail. When it opens back up, people are going to stock up and even casual 500 round a year shooters are going to have a "cache".

Lack of confidence in the White House and Congress already has people nervous, that will push more to stock up also.
    I remember that but it fit their narrative!

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    Way back in the day a fellow by the name of Kent LaMont used to come down from Ft. Wayne to shoot his MGs at the local range. For those who have never heard of him, at the various MG shoots his nickname was "Constant" Lamont as he usually held the trigger down until the belt ran out. He had an old electric company bucket truck he had mounted a Quad 50 on, it was not unusual to see him at the range with the toolbox doors open, stuffed full of loaded .50 belts with the odd Swedisk K subgun laying on top to take up the space. When he asked you for help unloading an ammo shipment, he meant he needed a forklift driver as he usually bought by the semi load. He tumbled his empty brass in cement mixers.

22,000 rds for him would be a nice weekend day playing at the range. Me, I wish I could afford 22,000 rds of anything...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not to hijack the thread, well yes to hijack the thread, but where would one find ammo for a WWII Japanese Nambau pistol 8 mm if I recall correctly?

Here are a couple of links:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Remember guys, self reliance is racist. If you're not dependent on the government you're just exercising your privilege.
    It's about the narrative. Anyone who is crazy enough to not trust "science" and our benevolent government overlords is a crazy racist that doesn't belong in polite society. Good thing I don't care much for polite society.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Or when you support multiple calibers. For instance (for me)...
    Handgun
    7.62x25
    32 acp
    9mm Mak
    9mm Luger
    9mm Largo
    38 spl.
    357 mag
    45 acp
    45 colt

Rifle
    223/5.56
    6.5 Jap
    6.5 Swede
    6.5 Carcano
    7.62x51/.308
    7.62x54R
    7.65x53 Argentine
    30-06
    8mm Mauser
    30-40 Krag
    6.5x53R Dutch
    303 Brit
    30 Carbine
    7.5 Swiss

Shotgun
    12 gauge
    20 gauge

I think that's it, but I may be forgetting something. :):
    You must have rooms (plural) in your house for your gun stuff. I'm relegated to half of the utility room.

Top Bottom