Not open for further replies.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Howdy.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a Hoosier YET, but am striving to be. Would really appreciate any advice on where to make it happen.

Currently, we live in a very red county in a deep-blue state, where on our gun board (like this INGO) we refer to our condition as "battered gun owner syndrome", complete with mag bans, model restrictions, etc, and more and more restrictions down the line in our state assembly. (I cry a little when I see your pics of AK47s with standard capacity mags :)
    After almost two years of COVID and other stuff, kids being out of school for two years, more closures and vaccine passports coming, our red oasis is not safe from the state policies. Mrs and I decided to pick up sticks and move to a more sane place.

We are normal middle-class people, friendly and laid-back, live-and-let-live kind, but take umbrage at others sticking nose in our business (hate HOAs with a passion). We like hiking, camping, taking kids to activities, BBQs and beer in the backyard, all the normal people things. I like shooting commie surplus when time allows. Mrs is a member of the local Well Armed Women, Lady Republicans, and a volunteer EMT. In our life we bounced between coasts, cities, suburbs, and countryside, whatever fit our needs at the time, gravitating towards more space and friendlier people. We are on the geekier side, highly value education, the standard kind -- reading, writing, math, science.

I found a decent job near Bloomington, and it looks like an OK place to be -- amenities, good schools, church, etc. But reading Reddit, people proudly claim it "the Portland of the Midwest", BLM murals, homeless camps and calls to defund the local police. Monroe county being one of the few counties in IN with mask mandate, and possibly coming vax passport, makes me wonder if I would be moving from a red island in a blue ocean to a blue place in a normal red state.
    Is it just the Reddit effect, where the freaks have the loudest voice? Are there normal people in Bloomington? Could we find an accepting community there? Should we look at the neighboring counties?

Of the three places: south-east Bloomington, Ellettseville, and Bedford, where would you suggest we move? Basically I'm trying to avoid the trifecta of COVID restrictions, CRT, and LGBTQ indoctrination in school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night :)

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have heard the same things about the Bloomington area, mostly here on INGO. Wife and I moved from a disgusting blue state, Illinois. It is blue because of the Chicago area with down state deep red with a couple exceptions. The exceptions are college towns, I was close to Champaign/Urbana where the U of I is found and it is a glaring blue surounded by red. So if you lived 20 miles out of Champaign/Urbana you were good to go. Jim.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Greetings.

Good luck and I second the not Bloomington recommendations. Best get out of where you are before they won't let you leave...or at least won't let you leave for free. Those commie cities got to get their funds somewhere...and if you work that's you.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hello and welcome to INGO and (soon to be) the Great State of Indiana! There are definitely areas NOT Bloomington where you can live in the country (you mentioned hating HOAs) and have a decent commute to B-town. Lawrence County (Bedford), Morgan County (Martinsville).

Another option is the reverse of what a lot of Crane Navy Yard workers do: live in Martin County and commute to B-town. I-69 is 70 mph all the way to B-town, and that is country down there.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Maybe it's just me, but I read "Howdy Ho, Hoosiers" and my brain picked out "Ho Ho, Ho"... ah, Christmas...

Welcome to INGO, and good luck with your migration.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom