• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    So lately I have been hankering for a longer range bolt gun. I like the look, and price of the HCR. It seems to have good reviews, but thought I would ask for real world opinions. I dont hunt anymore, so this would be a low volume, range gun. I also have not decided between 308 or 6.5 creedmoor, it seems either would do what I am looking for. Thanks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I recently bought 6.5 Creedmoor in a Howa 1500 action that has been bedded into an AB Arms (American Built Arms) ModX GenIII chassis, and I love it.
    I'm not familiar with the HCR line, but this is my second rifle in the 1500 platform.

My first was a .204 Ruger bolt action Howa 1500 with an over-molded Hogue stock.
    I was impressed enough with that rifle that when I found the AB Arms, I knew what I was getting in quality before I ever touched the gun.
    I am also really impressed with the AB Arms chassis. Being a one-piece aluminum stock, it's very stiff, and rock-solid stable, with an integral picatinny rail.

The only drawback I've found so far is that the stock is solid aluminum, so, it's COLD in the dead of winter. Better have good gloves.
    I love my two 1500's, and would buy another if I got the itch.

BTW- I just Googled the HCR's, and I must say, my AB Arms looks almost identical, and I didn't pay near what they have listed for M.S.R.P.
    I took mine out the door in the box for $800.
    I noticed AB Arms doesn't list that rifle at this time, but it pops up from time to time.
    They offer either the stand alone stock, or the Howa 1500 in their chassis, and their prices are reasonable.

If you don't see what you'd like, I'd shoot them an email and ask.
    American Built Arms Company Home Page

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have a Howa HLR (https://www.legacysports.com/new-howa-long-range-rifle-hlr-for-long-range-precision/) in 6.5 creedmoor. It has consistently posted sub 3/4 moa with factory ammo. Highly recommend the Howa action. Solid performer and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

6.5 Creedmoor is an awesome round. Low recoil, inherently accurate. Nothing wrong with 308 but 6.5 is a great round especially if you are just punching paper and ringing steel.

singles_howa_hlr-1024x634.jpg

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I really like the Howa action for the cost and know lots of people with them and they're all accurate. Plus it's nice to see a real extractor on a rifle for that price

Picked up a KRG Bravo and a heavy barrel one in a hogue overmold last year but hadn't had the time to actually shoot them and enjoy them besides breaking in the barrel

Howa has been around for years, popularity in Indiana has always seemed hit or miss

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I own a Howa rifle and it is nice enough for what it is but in the price range you're looking a Bergara B14 Match Precision would be my choice. They just feel better and the quality seems higher to me plus it comes threaded already. TC's chassis rifle is probably also worth a look.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Waiting for word from the ffl, now gotta get some boolits. I am a tech turd, but will try and post a pic when it shows up.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Howa.jpg

Picked up my Howa apc American Flag this morning!! I have named her Freedom. When I find some steel to shoot, I can say I am letting Freedom ring.:ar15:

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    6.5 creedmoor package. I figure the bipod and scope are better then me right now. I can upgrade later if I feel the need. I told the Boss I might try and find a tripod setup or something for her to use with her chair. She has used the bench at the Pigeon River range with an ar, but its not the most ergonomic setup for her.

deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Howa are great bolt guns for the money, if you find a good deal on a used one, you can use the money you saved on a good scope! Also, you can generally find better deals on 308 ammo and it will do anything you need it to do, it just wont be the "in" thing like the 6.5 is right now. Not too discredit the 6.5 though, as it is a great long range caliber as well.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    20190809_140548.jpg A real world pic( I hope, lol). I have only done the 20 round break in with it so far. But I think she will be a keeper.

Top Bottom