• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Do I remove a hard drive from a laptop? Is it something *I* can do?? I'm sending in my laptop for repair and can't get my pictures etc off before I send it in. I just checked and got the OK to remove hard drive before I ship it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    As long as it is a PC, it will be pretty easy. There are usually graphic symbols on the bottom for the right release flap.

If it is a Mac, be prepared for 80-100 small screws... it can be done, but you must be methodical about it.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    It's an Acer and it's but NOTHING but problems. I looked on the back and there are 2 compartments in which I can unscrew. I don't know which is which. I (semi) know what a Hard drive looks like for a PC but have NO clue anything about laptops.
    The charging port has broke, which is why I am sending it back. AND of COURSE no one at Acer speaks ENGLISH....so I'm having issues there as well.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Turn your laptop over (with power completely off). There should be a panel with a little icon that looks like three doughnuts stacked on top of each other. Most laptops I've worked on have two screws holding that panel on - unscrew them. Under the panel should be the hard drive. It's about the size and shape of a deck of cards only thinner. Some brands have a couple screws holding the drive in, others just have some sort of slide/latch/gizmo. You should be able to suss out the actual procedure for your brand of computer. Remove the drive from the laptop casing. There should be a flat, grey cable connected to one end of the hard drive. Unplug the cable and you're done.

Edit: If you know what a full-size hard disk looks like, you'll recognize the laptop drive. It looks the same only smaller.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Okay....I'm going to sit here and repeat..."I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS". I Can NOT lose everything from this laptop...CAN NOT. **BREATHE**

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Cant you just transfer them to a flash drive? that would be a quwik and easy way to save a backup of all your pictures. And Flash drives are cheap anymore! Just a thought!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Cant you just transfer them to a flash drive? that would be a quwik and easy way to save a backup of all your pictures. And Flash drives are cheap anymore! Just a thought!

I have no charge to do that. I tried screwing with it but the port is 100% GONE. It's almost like it was pushed inside the laptop or something! ?

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Here is a picture of a lap top hard drive, hope it helps!!

10gb-4200rpm-2mb-cache-2.5-ide-pata-laptop-hard-drive-ibm-djsa-210-2825-p.jpg

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have no charge to do that. I tried screwing with it but the port is 100% GONE. It's almost like it was pushed inside the laptop or something! ?

I bet that is exactly what happened! If you open the bottom up you should be able to push it back out so you can hook up a flash drive long enough to get your pictures off it!! :D

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't you have a USB slot? If so you can just copy them over to a thumb drive. If you do, that would be the easy thing to do, then you would also have a backup of them. I have a handful of 1gigs you can use if you are around the Indy area.

If it is under warranty, you don't want to mess with it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    bring it to me... its about all i do for a st. francis owned company now... that and ingo/fb and possibly answer the phone if it rings.

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    Call the geek squad.

Calling the geek squad is the worst thing you can do!! There are too many true stories on the internet of them stealing your photos and personal information. They also charge too much money as well for their services.

I work in the IT Industry and they are not well regarded. However, they used to be a good company before Best Buy bought them out.

DON'T USE GEEK SQUAD!!!!!!

Top Bottom