• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'm dropping the old A2 birdcage in favor of a Lantac Dragon. I've seen videos of people using a towel in a vice to hold the upper when removing the old muzzle brake and installing a new one. I fear that something will slip, or I will over tighten. Am I crazy? Or is there a better way, short of an upper vice block (I need to get this done tonight).

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    In all honesty, just have someone sit on the rifle. I don't have my workbench set up yet, so I have no vice to work with. I've removed and installed many this way and it works just fine.

As for over-tightening, will it be using a crush washer? If so, just keep going until it's clocked correctly.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Dude you've got to be kidding me... that is the best way? Lol that's hilarious. I assume the barrel and all of that should be torqued enough that I can't possibly mess that up?

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Yep. You won't have any issues. It takes pretty significant force to mess things up. Just crank off the A2, put on a new crush, torque, let off, and torque until you get it there. That's my quick and dirty if you need it done tonight. :):

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Easy enough. Doing this, installing a couple of Geissele SD-E triggers, mounting the scope, and lubing the new ARs up tonight. Let's hope the rain cooperates with me tomorrow so I can get some rounds down range tomorrow.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Pop into USDS and get a Magpul BEV block. The last buddy I know that tried to do what you are thinking about twisted his upper.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I don't have a vice clamp I pinch the top rail and the bottom of the receiver in the vice jaws and usually use small pieces of wood to protect the receiver.

midget

Master
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I you have some wood, long bolts, and a bench vice, just make yourself a redneck barrel vice.

NyleRN

Master
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Is this a new upper or have you fired rounds downrange with it? If it's new, it'll easily come off as it's only about 20ft/lb of torque. BUT, if it's soldered on with carbon I'd get a barrel clamp. You could pop your index pin off of your barrel. Just sayin

wsenefeld

Master
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Is this a new upper or have you fired rounds downrange with it? If it's new, it'll easily come off as it's only about 20ft/lb of torque. BUT, if it's soldered on with carbon I'd get a barrel clamp. You could pop your index pin off of your barrel. Just sayin

This is how I cracked my upper but the index pin isn't the first thing to go. Being that the index pin is steel and the upper receiver is aluminum, the upper cracked and the barrel spun.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm dropping the old A2 birdcage in favor of a Lantac Dragon. I've seen videos of people using a towel in a vice to hold the upper when removing the old muzzle brake and installing a new one. I fear that something will slip, or I will over tighten. Am I crazy? Or is there a better way, short of an upper vice block (I need to get this done tonight).

When I install or uninstall flash suppressors I clamp the barrel in a barrel vice block.
    I use a piece of inner tube to protect the barrel from marring.
    Works for me!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have one of these. Makes it super easy and no torquing of the receiver. If you don't have a vise you can use a large wrench on the flats. You can get them cheaper than what they are showing on the website. Send them a quote of what you would pay and they'll counter with what they will take. I paid $30 with free shipping for mine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have one of these. Makes it super easy and no torquing of the receiver. If you don't have a vise you can use a large wrench on the flats. You can get them cheaper than what they are showing on the website. Send them a quote of what you would pay and they'll counter with what they will take. I paid $30 with free shipping for mine.

I have one of those as well.....just did not want to seem "Upity".....:):

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Grab a 2x4 and cut two pieces off of it. Clamp them side by side, drill a hole the size of barrel through them (half circle on each 2x4), put hockey tape or inner tube in the channel, clamp barrel right behind the muzzle device, and wrench away.

Top Bottom