• ...and so much more!
  • 1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    Nope. There are specific guidelines on the IN.GOV website. Basically, a declaration that you are competent, two (2) witnesses that are not related to you or have an interest in the Will. No notary required. There's a lot more to it, but you need to look at the statutes. If you screw it up, it can be challenged and everything you've done will be a waste.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A state specific will with financial and health care POAs starting at $129.

This is what I used a couple years ago. My Dad is a retired family law attorney and has done tons of wills but doesn't have a license in IN so he couldn't do mine. He looked it over after I dropped in my info and gave it his seal of approval.

Took me under an hour if I recall.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And the state keeps passing laws making wills more and more difficult. I was shocked what lawyers charge now but was also shocked at how complex even a fairly straight forward will was today. I paid $100 for a lawyer prepared will, POA, and living will in mid 90’s, now a DIY is $129 to start. Wow!

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Nope. There are specific guidelines on the IN.GOV website. Basically, a declaration that you are competent, two (2) witnesses that are not related to you or have an interest in the Will. No notary required. There's a lot more to it, but you need to look at the statutes. If you screw it up, it can be challenged and everything you've done will be a waste.
    Witnesses recommended to be disinterested and competent. If the witnesses is interested, it does not invalidate... Section 29-1-5-2 give additional info.

Have not seen that relatives can not witness, possible to link to info?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We just used NOLO and their software. We haven't died yet, as far as I can tell anyway, so they remain untested. Our situation is very straight forward though. If I was worried about it being contested vs just not wanting to bother with probate court from dying intestate I'd probably hire a meat lawyer instead of an electron one.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I found a site for $49 for state of IN. But they show all pages filled out before paying so I'll just copy them and print for free. It either flys later or it won't. Not rich so ain't going to much matter, State would just give everything to wife anyways....just wanted to leave some stuff for my sons and be less hassle. Doesn't seem IN needs a notary either.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I have a deadman's switch in my Gmail account that emails the appropriate people a document with their specific instructions. Most of the dissolution of property, settlement of accounts, and final wishes falls to one specific person so all the account accesses, passwords, and such go to this person who can basically liquidate assets to pay balances and pocket any leftover. With no children to haggle over inheritance and nothing much worth haggling over makes it pretty easy because no one will probably care I'm gone!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I don't have anything and have only one child.....should be pretty straight forward for me; right?
    You have a computer or phone. I am sure you have a bank account, even though may have little in it. You have other things.

Do your kid a favor and get a real will. Also, for accounts like at the bank, put the child on as a Transfer at Death beneficiary. Ask the bank how.

It is no fun having to dick around, pay bills, transfer accounts, etc after a parent dies when a little pre-planning would have saved everyone lots of time and grief.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to be legal advice. I am not a lawyer but there are others here who are, but probably won't comment because they have legal duties to avoid doing so for someone who is not a client.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I found a site for $49 for state of IN. But they show all pages filled out before paying so I'll just copy them and print for free. It either flys later or it won't. Not rich so ain't going to much matter, State would just give everything to wife anyways....just wanted to leave some stuff for my sons and be less hassle. Doesn't seem IN needs a notary either.
    incorrect. if will is invalidated the state will split your assets between wife and children. Wife gets 50% kids split 50%. if wife knew this she would probably kill you.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As a guy married to a woman who has both biological parents die with ZERO planning of any kind - do eeeeeet.

As a guy whose dad & paternal grandma have things planned out, almost to the letter, 2+ years ahead of time - do eeeeeeet.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Doesn't a trust help prevent all the tax crap involved, and bank account problems? My MIL checked into at one time, but never followed through.
    She also canceled her life insurance, because she said we would be fine.
    Our pre-planning is to sell her house and accompanying property to settle her debt, and cover the lawyer and taxes.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Doesn't a trust help prevent all the tax crap involved, and bank account problems? My MIL checked into at one time, but never followed through.
    She also canceled her life insurance, because she said we would be fine.
    Our pre-planning is to sell her house and accompanying property to settle her debt, and cover the lawyer and taxes.
    Older people shouldn't be paying for life insurance. It's generally looked at as sucking funds that should be allocated elsewhere.

"Law of declining responsibilities", so to speak.

Kids should all be grown & independent, mortgage should be retired, etc.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have a deadman's switch in my Gmail account that emails the appropriate people a document with their specific instructions. Most of the dissolution of property, settlement of accounts, and final wishes falls to one specific person so all the account accesses, passwords, and such go to this person who can basically liquidate assets to pay balances and pocket any leftover. With no children to haggle over inheritance and nothing much worth haggling over makes it pretty easy because no one will probably care I'm gone!
    I need to know more about this deadmans switch. How does it work?

Top Bottom