• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry pretty much all of the time, but family members that are also gun owners do not carry that much. My brother carries most of the time, but if often comfortable just having it ready. My sister does not carry at all and keeps it at home 'just in case'. She has her carry permit (her doctor recommended she get it). Just about every other family member has expressed an interest, or has already bought a gun, but none of them are talking about carrying them yet.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    im waiting on my permit to carry its been around 3-4 weeks if it was denied would t
    hey have sent me a letter by now

Im just assuming it might take a little longer right now with all the crazy in the world ppl are signing up a little more. I give it another 2 weeks but you would know if it would be denied. Do you have any record?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You don't! And you shouldn't, until you want to AND are prepared to!

Welcome to INGO....Indiana Gun OWNERS, not Indiana Gun CARRIERS!:)
    There is nothing wrong with doing exactly as you are! Stick around here and you can learn a lot.

Why do people feel the need to give a new guy a hard time?:dunno: it's not like he called the LTCH a permit, or misspelled something.:n00b:

Well, with over 27k members, there will always be someone giving someone else a hard time. But most of the advise seems to have been to do what feels comfortable for that person.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Well, with over 27k members, there will always be someone giving someone else a hard time. But most of the advise seems to have been to do what feels comfortable for that person.

I 100% agree, if you are not comfortable with making that decision it is best to leave it up to someone else.

The upside to this could be that there is someone else armed ready to make a life or death decision and you would be safe.

The downside is you could leave life and death of you and your family and friends to a criminal.

But either way its best to stay in your comfort zone.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have observed folks when around an open carry situation. Some pay no attention. Many look and point, get nervous or just move on but every one see's and responds in some fashion. These observations were made watching others OC, not myself. I CC for this reason. Draw no attention, remain grey at all times if possible. If the bad guy see's you and is intent on doing harm....you are first.
    JMHO based on personal observation and training.

Carry on.

I have to disagree with you on that one, CM. I rarely even get a second look. Even more rare for any reaction whatsoever.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I have to disagree with you on that one, CM. I rarely even get a second look. Even more rare for any reaction whatsoever.

A lot of this depends where you live, if you live in Indy or Fort Wayne or other cities you get a lot more looks.

Its so much different for me when I carry in Columbia City to Fort Wayne. In Fort Wayne it is like ppl have never seen a gun before and Columbia City its like I am just another one of them.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I had reservations initially as well. Got my LTCH & purchased my first handgun (revolver) about 4 years ago, for home defense. I wanted the LTCH 'just in case'.
    I've always enjoyed rifles/shotgun, but rarely practiced with the revolver.

Fast forward to last May of 2012, when I made the commitment to a full size polymer gun, specifically for practice & training during my trek into handgun land.

I was not very confident with it, and so I took some training. That helped settle my fears of basic safety/operation. But all the while, I just didn't feel 'responsible enough' until after taking a few more classes. It just got to the point to where I stopped worrying about whether I could handle the gun in a given situation. And so I went and got a compact which would conceal better than my full size.

Since about Nov of 2012, I pretty much have a gun near me at all times now. I don't always carry on my person, but it's at least in the car with me, or readily available when at home.
    In hindsight, I think perhaps I was being a little too critical of myself about whether I was responsible enough to carry. But I am glad I took the time to train, meet alot of great people and instructors, and begin to learn the art of shooting handguns.
    Go at your own pace! And enjoy shooting!:draw:

Stopper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I never carry. It's a personal choice, it's not required and many that carry are very paranoid individuals.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I do not like to carry for the same reason. I do not want to dress around a gun or have it bang on door frames or have people ask me questions like "What do you need a gun fo?" if they happen to see it. For that reason I leave the Glock & Sig at home and just carry the pocket pistol. No one has a need to carry a gun, until the time when they need the gun. Since no one knows when that time will come, if ever, I carry a gun, but I keep it as small and easy to carry as possible.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Almost twenty years ago when I first got my LTCH it was primarily so I could bring my newly purchased hand gun to and from the range. I rarely carried it. For years I was a 'casual' shooter, just shooting a couple times a year.

9/11 really changed things. My thought was 'If 'they' could bring airliners down into buildings, then what's next? A madman shooting a AK 47 at the mall.' I started shooting more and more until I felt I was competent enough to carry. I was expecting a son and got involved with part time security work. Carried for all those jobs.

While I don't do security work anymore (after nearly being run by nut job driving a car), I still carry whenever I'm not physically 'at work'. Now it's second nature and I would feel naked walking out of my home with a hand gun of some sort on me.

Edit: And welcome to the Forum!

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    The main reason I have a permit is to carry in the vehicle. I ran into a situation where I was unarmed (back in the day before permits) while traveling through "BFE" and to this day I regret that my firearm was unloaded and locked in the truck to be legal (and to be a victim). No, I didn't end up getting robbed or otherwise, but it was headed that way if a few more minutes had gone by.

Anyway, I carry on occasion, but it really depends on if I feel the level of a possible treat is high enough? I don't always want the responsibility of carrying.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    Im head of security for a VERY important family (mine). I never leave home without it. All one has to do is watch the news to know that crazy knows no boundaries. Anytime, anywhere, chaos can strike. At school, church, the movies, the deer woods, grocery stores, home, the freeway....all are places where crazy has reared its ugly head and innocent lives have been lost

Top Bottom