• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have 2-3. Glock 27, Ruger LCP for easy pocket carry, and a S&W 357 snubbie. Don't carry the snubbie much; as it were I just found a holster that I thought I had sold so I might start again.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Those of you with dissimilar firearms in your "carry rotation"... How much training / trigger time do you actually have behind any one of those platforms?

Any training at all? No, former military training doesn't count.

I shoot for at least once per month per weapon, and try to shoot at least two of them per session... indoor range in colder months and more of a variety of distances out at dad's farm over the warmer months!
    Over the summer, we do more longer-range shooting with long guns, and shoot some skeet as well, but focus more on handguns when indoors!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have never understood the concept of having different types of carry guns "in rotation." I cannot see any advantage to switching types. Maybe if I were a gun instructor and wanted to have experience with different types? Having a backup gun in addition to the main carry guy, e.g. having a smaller gun in an ankle holster or backpocket or whatever, I can see the logic in that, but not changing out the main gun every so often for another type just because.

So for years I carried a BHP with several spares on the shelf (and it was also my "night stand" gun), and now for years I've carried a glock 19 (which now is also my "night stand" gun), and if it breaks or goes in property room or whatever I have the BHPs and a Glock 17 to quickly replace it. And lots of other handguns as well just because, but for serious daily carry I stick to the G19.

I have a snubby that I carry in a jacket pocket during the few days of Texas winter and locked in the car the rest of the time
    , but the G19X is still right where it always rides.

UnbeatenPath

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    3 in regular rotation
    Summer
    S&W Shield 9mm or...
    LCP2 if wearing gym shorts or...
    Sometimes both
    Winter/cooler weather
    Glock 19 Gen 4 and sometimes the LCP2 in a pocket

Depending on what I'm practicing with, I have some of my favorites that I carry based on my mood or what I'm wearing. I carry a PPK as a suit gun, I also like carrying a Sig 238, P99, some form of CZ75 (mostly the full steel IWI Jericho 941), Walther CCP, and some sort of 1911.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have never understood the concept of having different types of carry guns "in rotation." I cannot see any advantage to switching types. Maybe if I were a gun instructor and wanted to have experience with different types? Having a backup gun in addition to the main carry guy, e.g. having a smaller gun in an ankle holster or backpocket or whatever, I can see the logic in that, but not changing out the main gun every so often for another type just because.
    Can't speak for everyone but with the variety in Indiana weather (0 degrees to 90 degrees) I wear radically different clothes throughout the year, and so I have 2-3 options in carry to accommodate.

BHOWPE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    This is pretty much where I’m at right now with a 4th category of ‘Mowing the lawn on a hot and humid day gun’. That’s where the G27 lives.
    Come on! Don’t you have a holster or a scabbard for your lever action gun on your mower next to the cup holder???

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I have a belt gun and a pocket gun. I don’t get having multiple different carry guns. I carry the same way regardless of the season or weather. 43X AIWB and an LCPII for when I’m wearing gym shorts or not wearing a belt for whatever reason.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a belt gun and a pocket gun. I don’t get having multiple different carry guns. I carry the same way regardless of the season or weather. 43X AIWB and an LCPII for when I’m wearing gym shorts or not wearing a belt for whatever reason.

I also don't upsize just because I wear more concealing clothes. If I have confidence and am comfortable with what I carry in the summer, I'm good with it in the winter.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Getting used to my P365, but like the extra rounds with the G17 backup mag in my G26. For certain occasions it's the G43 or the LCPII in the pocket.

When I'm feeling it I will carry my G36 for that .45acp fix, but don't carry the M&P Shield 9 much anymore.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

That's because most folks who carry guns carry them as a magic talisman vs. putting in the work.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's because most folks who carry guns carry them as a magic talisman vs. putting in the work.

"Putting in the work," eh? I'd love to hear what that entails, since you have said that military training "doesn't count."

A Thunder Ranch certificate on the wall can also be a magic talisman, you know.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I think its the other way around Clay, at least when I was in the Army, my GI .45 was there in case my M-60 machine gun decided to SNAFU.

LT. wen you find out what dug the small hole that caused you to fall, blast it!

I stopped reading with when I was in the Army,
    The rest was like Charlie Browns teacher was talking.....

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Those of you with dissimilar firearms in your "carry rotation"... How much training / trigger time do you actually have behind any one of those platforms?

Any training at all? No, former military training doesn't count.

Where else can you get loads of incoming besides the service? black & white is ok, but its different in Color. :patriot:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I just bought a carry rig for the PMR30 just for grins. the 22 mag is not a great self defense round but I figure 30 shots to the torso should keep them at bay.

...or the ear canal

I was waiting for that response, and once again, INGO doesn't disappoint!

But the ear canal only takes 7 shots compared to 30 in the torso. So you could take out 4.28 bad guys per mag if you go that route.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've even heard that there are people that try switching from pickups to sedans without retraining between. The human brain is not capable of adapting to more than one muscle memory, I say. Egads, whats next? Using a fork and spoon in the same meal? :)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've even heard that there are people that try switching from pickups to sedans without retraining between. The human brain is not capable of adapting to more than one muscle memory, I say. Egads, whats next? Using a fork and spoon in the same meal? :)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Come on 88, that's why they make sporks! :):

It is true though that the goal should be to be capable of operating many firearms.

And that goes for that whole "don't use the slide release because your fine motor skills go to crap in a defensive situation." You think pulling the trigger and dropping a mag is a gross motor skill?:)

Top Bottom