How long before things go south if the SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    In a true SHTF situation the line blurs between the good guys and the bad guys. If you don’t think you have to become a bad guy to survive, you need to flush out your headgear.

And if you take what I’m saying, literally without truly understanding it, you have some research to do.
    It is interesting what you wrote. In the back of my mind, I know the limiting factor for enduring longer will be water.
    I have long thought that once the event starts rolling, I am going to hit the local Culligan shop in my rural community and gather as much water jugs as I can fit in my SUV. A "good" person doing "bad".

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Rainwater or wells are perfectly viable for a hermit. the problem comes in protection or food. Both of those require larger groups to do effectively. A team of 12 with CCTV and the power to keep it running can keep a reasonable watch. Hopefully they would also have the hands to maintain it and grow enough food for the community.
    4-10 families with kids within close proximity should be able to keep things working, assuming exterior forces don't come knocking.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    In the context of small groups and survival in the long term, look at early American (pre revolutionary) experiences. Boonesville is probably a good example.

Farms arrayed around a stronghold, with some degree of stores for a short siege. Heavy reliance on hunting and foraging.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If the power goes out, the net goes down and city water and sewer stop flowing, then the cities will burn. 1-2 days max. Rural areas may take longer. 6 months later 1/2 of our population will be dead and we will be occupied by China/Russia coalition.
    Neither Russia nor China has the ability to occupy us. Russia, because it's got its hands full with Ukraine and its bordering neighbors; China, because it doesn't have any way to get sufficient troops over here. It's still figuring out how to get enough troops across 100 miles to Taiwan; the USA is 10-100 times that far.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Don’t worry, FEMA will be right on top of it.
    Funny thing. FEMA - WAS - right on top of Katrina. There were rescue teams, food, and water prepositioned ahead of landfall, just waiting for the word to "go." The breakdowns were at the state and local level.

Looking at the Emergency Services end of things in an urban/suburban setting, things won't go COMPLETELY crazy until Emergency Services - police, fire, EMS, hospitals - are either overwhelmed or fade away. If supplies of food & water go away completely, beyond the ability of a state or municipality to bring in help from outside the affected area(s), things will deteriorate more quickly than otherwise might be the case. At least in Indiana, the state and local counties have made a start on prepping for short-term disruptions in infrastructure. Large municipal areas are still going to suck wind, though.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Or to their ancestors, or to their descendants. Probably doesn’t have auto insurance. Because you have it. But he’s on a gun friendly web site. Why should he own a gun? Gotta be a D.

add: *, now I gotta go check all the fire extinguishers dates.

We/I refill our prescription at the first possible day. Giving us 3 extra days of scrip meds. After doing this for years we now have a fair surplus.

It’s the catastrophe you don’t see that kills your whole family.

In a SHTF situation there won’t be a Gov. Please read a book or something, your absolute lack of knowledge makes your posts sound…..well not good.
    So since you have read all the books that I haven't why don't you outline all of these shtf situations that will dissolve the government? How about all the books you read that make you so smart? Are you planning on just fighting your neighbors or are you going to take on some invading army also?

Nunya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    Charlestown IN
    When people run out of food and their children start crying, and mommy and daddy can't give them anything, expect chaos and violence. 3 days MAX, and stay away from the cities, they'll degenerate fastest.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Evidence of survivors of major disasters like Hurricane Katrina or various earthquakes in California and elsewhere suggests that most people will find ways to survive without violence.
    When I was in Houston in 1983 during Hurricane Alicia, we lost power for three days. People in our complex got together to help one another (and the ice cream shop in the strip mall behind us was giving out "free" ice cream!)

As long as there is some food/water/heat, etc. available, there will be groups of people who will band together to help one another. Yes, we all expect that violence will occur, but history suggests otherwise. The fecal matter will truly need to overwhelm the impeller before we revert completely to barbarism. I suspect we may be talking past one another on this one, since there are various ideas about what constitutes a situation which isn't globally catastrophic, but is worse than what normal government services can handle.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    So since you have read all the books that I haven't why don't you outline all of these shtf situations that will dissolve the government? How about all the books you read that make you so smart? Are you planning on just fighting your neighbors or are you going to take on some invading army also?
    You seem kind of upset and nasty bro, I’m guessing yup be on his last help list.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    You seem kind of upset and nasty bro, I’m guessing yup be on his last help list.
    Nasty, sorry if I upset your sensitive nature. The guy said some derogatory things to me and I responded asking him to share his knowledge. Please find a safe space and regain your composure.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Neither Russia nor China has the ability to occupy us. Russia, because it's got its hands full with Ukraine and its bordering neighbors; China, because it doesn't have any way to get sufficient troops over here. It's still figuring out how to get enough troops across 100 miles to Taiwan; the USA is 10-100 times that far.
    Wouldn't it be more cost effective for China to simply purchase U.S. politicians, rather than try some sort of military action?

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Nasty, sorry if I upset your sensitive nature. The guy said some derogatory things to me and I responded asking him to share his knowledge. Please find a safe space and regain your composure.
    My composure is good and I’m in a safe space. No snowflake here.....guaranteed. I guess I missed the derogatory things you mentioned, my apologies.

Reactions: Mij

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    200.webp

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    We always say people will do terrible things to protect their kids. There are more people than ever who don't have any. Are they expected to just waste away?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    So if you have made plenty of provisions both in food, ammo, and other supplies, does the piling up of bodies on your property act as a deterrent to others that think they can overrun your home or does it attract attention to your place having something worth trying to take?

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    So if you have made plenty of provisions both in food, ammo, and other supplies, does the piling up of bodies on your property act as a deterrent to others that think they can overrun your home or does it attract attention to your place having something worth trying to take?
    Something to think about. Maybe leave one body in full view so that others think it’s not worth the risk.

Top Bottom