How do you guys handle buddies paying for ammo they shoot from your guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I take a young friend to the range as much as I can. The last time out he shot everything I had and I don't think a thing about it. (today)

I can show him fundamentals... earlier today he recognized that he almost swept me with the muzzle and instantly brought the rifle back around... he saw and corrected--he's learning.

He learns, gets hooked, picks up a few pointers (and so do I when we re-hash the shoot) gets to shoot modern rifles and pistols and not just 'dad's shotgun'.

I took him to an Appleseed last year and he shot my stuff.

M1a's, ARs, Glocks, XDs, Ruger .22, mossy 590, .22 conversion AR (we both loved it today) etc. etc.

He gets introduced in a good environment, he matures and gets comfortable w/ firearms... I don't mind the cost.

I think it's good that your friend offers...if he doesn't again? He is still welcome right? You can 'win a friend' to our culture.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I'm a generous cuss and I enjoy other people shooting my ammo as much as shooting it myself. I just don't worry about it.

But if I did, I'd tell them to bring their own ammo.

This. If my buddies all want to go shooting, I'll let them run a mag through my Kimber or let them split a mag through my AR and AK. Or if they have ammo they brought to shoot out of their guns, they'll use that instead. Either way it's no big deal to me as a reloader.

The last friend I invited over was interested in a single-shot shotgun I sold to him. He hasn't been around guns much and the more I talked with him about them, the more interested her was, hence his interest in my .410. I invited him to come and shoot it to see how he likes it, and once he did, he wanted it badly. He wants an AK even more now that I let him run 30rds through it. :rockwoot: As soon as he saw it, he asked "Aren't those things illegal?" His eyes went really wide when I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. :D

Instances like that I don't care to let a few rounds go here and there as it changed his viewpoint on owning semi-auto "assault" weapons and he is now a gun owner.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I have a standing invitation to all my buddies, bring all the ammo you want and you can use any of my guns to send it down range. That is if we just blasting 22lrs they normally just chip me $5-10 depending how many we've been shooting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I have a standing invitation to all my buddies, bring all the ammo you want and you can use any of my guns to send it down range. That is if we just blasting 22lrs they normally just chip me $5-10 depending how many we've been shooting.
    The .22 LR is great for the buddy's who have a happy trigger finger! "What are you doing"? "I'm having fun"! "Well have some fun with this, it's a heck of a lot cheaper"! :):

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    New shooters/non shooter I provide ammo for, no sweat. Bricks of .22? Also no sweat.

When I'm with buddies of mine who are shooters, donations are always accepted and appreciated. I don't solicit them, it's just sorta unspoken.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    mwilson, sounds as if you need to re-examine how you define the word "friend".

T.E. Lawrence was once asked by another member why he would no longer asscociate with a particular person at his club, as they had once been close friends.

"I loaned him a favorite book of mine, and he never returned it" he replied.

"Surely, Lawrence, you don't think that a book is worth losing a friend over, do you?"

"No", he said, "I don't. But he did, didn't he?"

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    If I take new shooters to the range, it's on me. I look at it as my way of introducing them to shooting.
    If they get interested and want to go out again, I'll mention the cost and availablity of ammo.;)

mclark202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Southern tip of the state
    My buddy loves to shoot my AR, and the last time we went out we split the ammo 50/50, no problem. I told him if he wanted to shoot any of my other cheaper ammo handguns, to just buy us both some ammo for the particular gun and we would bring it out with us the nest time to shoot up. Basically, he pays for the ammo and I pay for the gun/cleaning/transporting/ etc.

Of course, this is only the case for cheaper ammo guns. I would feel guilty charging him that for .223/5.45.

Top Bottom