• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    This thread isn't meant to debate a LEO disarming a LTCH holder for "safety." We know it happens as evidenced by the posts on INGO. Usually, the officer puts it in the citizens vehicle and tells them to wait til he/she leaves to load it. No car? Not sure where the weapon is placed...on the ground...in the citizens hand with the mag in the other hand?

Anyway, I do not want to handle my pistol out in clear public view. I load it behind closed doors (home).

Let's say you now have your pistol, unloaded, and out there in public. You don't want to carry an unloaded pistol until you reach a "secure location" since carrying an unloaded pistol is about as useful as carrying a 2 lb rock.

What do you do? Just stand out there (side of the road, sidewalk, etc) and re-chamber a round? Now someone might see you and freak out that a "man with a gun is loading his pistol" or "brandishing a gun" (whatever that means).

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just wait until you can find a private place to rack the slide and top off the mag? :dunno:

Never been in that position but that's probably what I'd do if I was self-conscious about it. But I OC so I'm not.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Cop unloaded it in public. Load it up and put it in the holster. Just follow the four rules. Safe direction, finger off the trigger etc.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been in that situations more times than I care for, which is 4 times.
    Once the officer asked me to refrain from loading it after a routine traffic stop, no light on my license plate. He put my unloaded pistol and my unloaded magazine on the seat of my car.
    He was almost out of sight by the time I even got back in my car. This happened out in the country.

The other three times happened in the city (Lafayette) and I've reloaded each in plain view, and as soon as I had possession again. The last time I reloaded my revolver as I stood talking to the officer. He was complimenting me on my firearm.
    I was perfectly within my rights to be carrying, as demonstrated by the fact that the officers involved saw fit to release me with my firearm on each occasion.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    This has always made me scratch my head. We are being put into a position of chambering a round in places that would not make the "preferred location list" for doing such a thing. I also consider it more of a suggestion to wait as well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This has always made me scratch my head. We are being put into a position of chambering a round in places that would not make the "preferred location list" for doing such a thing. I also consider it more of a suggestion to wait as well.

I was perfectly armed and ready to defend my family from unforseen danger until the officer disarmed me. Now he is gone and I'm left with an empty gun. What happens if I need my firearm when the cop leaves in his cruiser? Wait for him to come back after I call 911?

I was prepared before the encounter. I will be prepared ASAFP when he leaves. As long as I do it safely, there is no reason not to. And my wife and kids next to me give me every reason to reload right away.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    You could always make a big show of reloading it. Just a nice way to allow some time for thought about the subject when they get the man with gun call, and shouldn't be able to do anything but show up.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    OC & CC at the same time. Backup in ankle holster. If the world were that dangerous, that's what I'd do. In the event of the backup being discovered and disarmed, I would crush the cyanide capsule between molars #2.

Disclosure: I don't carry (heavy, full size steel) and so far don't chamber a round. In the event of a break in, a 2lb rock is better than nothing. I guess I could drop it on my foot though. Didn't grow up around guns. I take it to the range. Paper targets run when they see me coming.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This thread isn't meant to debate a LEO disarming a LTCH holder for "safety." We know it happens as evidenced by the posts on INGO. Usually, the officer puts it in the citizens vehicle and tells them to wait til he/she leaves to load it. No car? Not sure where the weapon is placed...on the ground...in the citizens hand with the mag in the other hand?

Anyway, I do not want to handle my pistol out in clear public view. I load it behind closed doors (home).

Let's say you now have your pistol, unloaded, and out there in public. You don't want to carry an unloaded pistol until you reach a "secure location" since carrying an unloaded pistol is about as useful as carrying a 2 lb rock.

What do you do? Just stand out there (side of the road, sidewalk, etc) and re-chamber a round? Now someone might see you and freak out that a "man with a gun is loading his pistol" or "brandishing a gun" (whatever that means).
    If someone sees you loading your gun after the cop leaves, what are they going to do? Call the cops? The cop caused that situation. Just load it safely and move on as if it's no one else's business, because it's really no one else's business.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    If I am disarmed by a LEO I'll be reloading as soon as I have possession. I don't care if the cop is still there. I don't care what the cop has to say about it, he shouldn't have taken my firearm in the first place so the situation shouldn't have happened to begin with.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    If I am disarmed by a LEO I'll be reloading as soon as I have possession. I don't care if the cop is still there. I don't care what the cop has to say about it, he shouldn't have taken my firearm in the first place so the situation shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Son, you have a bad attitude.
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate.
    "Take him in and put him in the hole."

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What would I do? when the LEO hands back my gun, I would say "Thanks for the fingerprints" and put gloves on before accepting the gun back. See if they will be so anxious to handle my gun the next time, lol.

As far as reloading, I wouldnt treat it any different than walking out of a gun show. Especially at the 1500, I am NOT walking across a crowded parking lot without a means to defend myself. I stop just outside the door, remove the locking device, and reload. If it offends someone, oh well. I see plenty of people on a daily basis that offend me, if I have to deal with them, they can deal with me.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I wonder, if you're on the side of a city street, as the cop is driving away, you pop the mag back inside and rack the slide, and the gun slam-fired.

Could you then be arrested for discharging a firearm in the city limits?

Top Bottom