How do I handle my daughter getting bit by a pit bull.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is exactly the sort of mentality that royally pisses me off: People who, either from poor judgment or from deliberately socializing a dog that way, value a vicious dog over humans, even small children.
    Back in the late 1980s, we had an incident with a guy out in the country near Mooreland who had a huge and vicious -- think Cujo and you'll get the idea -- Saint Bernard named Rowdy.
    Rowdy was a known threat, and whenever I visited with the neighbors down the road from where he lived about a 1/2 mile away, we were strongly advised to never take our bikes anywhere near that house.
    Everyone in the area knew about the Rowdy, including the owner, and we all knew about it for several years.
    One day, the man (and I use that term loosely) of the house's eight-year-old niece was over visiting with her cousin, when said niece's mom showed up to take her home.
    The niece, as is common with youngsters, excitedly trotted out the door and hopped off the porch to greet her mom and get into the car with her...only to have Rowdy immediately pounce on her and tear her throat out.
    The owner somehow got Rowdy off of his niece, at least enough so that they were able to get her into the car and go at light speed all the way to New Castle and the ER at the hospital there.
    As it turned out, the doctors explained after the emergency surgery they had to do, if the dog had been a mere 1/4" further back, he would have severed her carotid artery, and she wouldn't have survived even one minute.
    The little girl is all grown up now, but to this day, she speaks with a permanent whisper because of the damage done to her larynx.
    The clincher is that the ******* owner refused to put Rowdy down, ever after the dog had come within an ace of killing his own niece.
    My brothers and I were so incensed by this that we actually seriously plotted to make a special trip to where Rowdy was when no one was at home, then when he inevitably would come up and try to attack the car, blow his ass away with a high powered rifle, then drive off.
    We never did that, out of fear of getting caught by the law, even though we knew that the rest of the folks in the community there would quietly celebrate such a deed.
    The owner was such a pig-headed asshat that he only had Rowdy put down years later, but only when the dog was already on his last legs from age and suffering.
    Yeah, I lost all respect for the guy who owned this dog, and I feel the same way about anyone who keeps his penis extension of a vicious dog.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is exactly the sort of mentality that royally pisses me off: People who, either from poor judgment or from deliberately socializing a dog that way, value a vicious dog over humans, even small children.
    Back in the late 1980s, we had an incident with a guy out in the country near Mooreland who had a huge and vicious -- think Cujo and you'll get the idea -- Saint Bernard named Rowdy.
    Rowdy was a known threat, and whenever I visited with the neighbors down the road from where he lived about a 1/2 mile away, we were strongly advised to never take our bikes anywhere near that house.
    Everyone in the area knew about the Rowdy, including the owner, and we all knew about it for several years.
    One day, the man (and I use that term loosely) of the house's eight-year-old niece was over visiting with her cousin, when said niece's mom showed up to take her home.
    The niece, as is common with youngsters, excitedly trotted out the door and hopped off the porch to greet her mom and get into the car with her...only to have Rowdy immediately pounce on her and tear her throat out.
    The owner somehow got Rowdy off of his niece, at least enough so that they were able to get her into the car and go at light speed all the way to New Castle and the ER at the hospital there.
    As it turned out, the doctors explained after the emergency surgery they had to do, if the dog had been a mere 1/4" further back, he would have severed her carotid artery, and she wouldn't have survived even one minute.
    The little girl is all grown up now, but to this day, she speaks with a permanent whisper because of the damage done to her larynx.
    The clincher is that the ******* owner refused to put Rowdy down, ever after the dog had come within an ace of killing his own niece.
    My brothers and I were so incensed by this that we actually seriously plotted to make a special trip to where Rowdy was when no one was at home, then when he inevitably would come up and try to attack the car, blow his ass away with a high powered rifle, then drive off.
    We never did that, out of fear of getting caught by the law, even though we knew that the rest of the folks in the community there would quietly celebrate such a deed.
    The owner was such a pig-headed asshat that he only had Rowdy put down years later, but only when the dog was already on his last legs from age and suffering.
    Yeah, I lost all respect for the guy who owned this dog, and I feel the same way about anyone who keeps his penis extension of a vicious dog.

It never fails to make my head spin when people protect these animals.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    [video=youtube_share;lt-AaiJlDkE]http://youtu.be/lt-AaiJlDkE[/video]

Not funny! Okay. Maybe a little funny. But that's a clear example of speciesism and only shows your human privilege. Aside from my astonishment that "speciesism" is even a word, that's an APE not a MONKEY! How would YOU like it if someone exploited YOU just for fun and then called you something you're not? Hmmm? That's just cruel.

Social justice demands that you be publicly shamed for your sins against furry critters. I hereby sentence you to watch 30 minutes of real social justice in action. May Trigglypuff have mercy on your eyes. Now. Everyone who laughed at the trunk [STRIKE]monkey[/STRIKE] ape, get to your punishment.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The liability of the renters does not transfer to the owner of the house just because of the renters do not have insurance.

Renters insurance includes the contents and liability.

I am not so sure about this. If someone gets hurt on your property it is your responsibility. I make all owners of big dogs get insurance that covers the mutt's actions as well. Never had to use it, but I don't want my insurance to be first on the list.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Dog attacked someone.....dog needs to be put down. End of story. Doesn't matter what breed it is.

If the owners don't do the right thing and pay medical expenses and put the dog down, they aren't friends of yours anyway. At that point, get a lawyer and force their hand.

The fact that they gave your daughter a popsicle and tried to coerce her into not talking about it makes me sick. It's like a pedophile uncle telling a little kid not to talk about it..... Those people are clearly trash.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If someone gets hurt on your property it is your responsibility.

NO! Not necessarily. Are they a trespasser, licensee or invitee? What duty was owed to the person? Was that duty breached? Was that breach the proximate cause of the injury?

We don't have enough information to know if the landlord has any liability. Was he aware they even owned a dog? Was he aware of its vicious propensities? What is in the lease?

Lawyers sometimes have to do a little work to make their case.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    NO! Not necessarily. Are they a trespasser, licensee or invitee? What duty was owed to the person? Was that duty breached? Was that breach the proximate cause of the injury?

We don't have enough information to know if the landlord has any liability. Was he aware they even owned a dog? Was he aware of its vicious propensities? What is in the lease?

Lawyers sometimes have to do a little work to make their case.

All correct.

i would add that landlords usually are not liable for what their tenants do. There are exceptions, but the general rule is that when you give up full possession and control (even if they retain a standard right to enter for maintenance, etc.) of the property to the tenant, the tenant is the only person liable for premises liability.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

When I was 5 or 6, we lived in a duplex out in the country. The other family that lived there had a St Bernard. He was chained outside and was NOT a friendly dog, but he always seemed to like me. When the neighbors went on vacation, they asked if I'd feed him, cause I was the only person in my family he didn't seem to want to kill. Mom wasn't too keen on the idea, but she said OK. My dad was a truck driver and was gone that week but my grandma and grandpa were visiting. Grandpa was a dog lover, but always suggested that the neighbor's dog should be shot simply for it's personality. He told mom he'd keep on eye on me when fed the mutt.

The first couple days, everything went fine. Day three, as I bent down to put food his food bowl on the ground, I heard him growl. When I looked up, I saw his open mouth coming at my face. Grandpa must have started moving when the dog growled because he grabbed me at the same time as the dog. I was lucky, I just had a gash on both cheeks. A quick trip to the doc and a few stitches later, I was fine.

Since animal control was not a service our county really provided, Grandpa called the cops while Mom took me to the doc. When we got home, a county cop was just rolling in. He assessed the situation and determined that there was really nothing he could do. Grandpa said OK thanks, and walked inside. Mom and me continued talking to the cop. A minute later, here comes Grandpa, toting my dad's Remington 1100. Walks right past us, straight to the dog, and blasted him point blank. The cop yelled at him, you can't just shoot somebody's dog like that! Grandpa asked me and my mom to go inside because he needed to talk to the officer using words that were not fit for women and children. It really didn't help being inside, it wasn't a well insulated house. It was the first time I had ever heard the expression, worthless as teats on a boar. I remember thinking that was the funniest thing I'd ever heard and that laughing made my face hurt.:D

By the end of their talk, both the officer and my Grandpa were laughing and talking like old friends. When the neighbors came home, the wife understood why the dog was dead, but the husband was pi$$ed. By the end of his talk with Grandpa, he was begging to pay the doctor's bill for my stitches.

My Grandpa became my hero that day for saving me from Cujo, and for making sure Cujo never hurt anybody else. As I grew up and learned more about the him, I realized that the Cujo incident probably wasn't even in the top 100 reasons to call him a hero.

Man, I miss him.:(

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Will someone coordinate the gathering if farmerdan decides he wants us to join him for a few hours?

I'll be there with your guys. Just tell me when and where!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    All correct.

i would add that landlords usually are not liable for what their tenants do. There are exceptions, but the general rule is that when you give up full possession and control (even if they retain a standard right to enter for maintenance, etc.) of the property to the tenant, the tenant is the only person liable for premises liability.
    I've wondered about that.
    Would I have any responsibility if an uninvited (or guest of tenant) person was injured on my rental property?
    does "no trespassing" signs make any difference?

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    I had the exact same thing happen to my daughter that was 7 at the time. She was playing tag w/ a neighbor and one of their dogs got a hold of her. EMT's and Sheriff / Animal Control were called in, after the hospital visit, 12 stitches to her face, and multiple puncture wounds all over her body I took my daughter over to the house where it happened to chat "peacefully" with the owner... The dog had already been surrendered to Animal Control and was told it was going to be "put down". I said that's great, now how about you picking up the hospital bill to no response. I called our lawyer to get it sorted out for us. Two weeks after the incident I got a call from Animal Control stating the animal had been euthanized. About 9 months later they finally coughed up the cash for the Dr. bill!

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    I had the exact same thing happen to my daughter that was 7 at the time. She was playing tag w/ a neighbor and one of their dogs got a hold of her. EMT's and Sheriff / Animal Control were called in, after the hospital visit, 12 stitches to her face, and multiple puncture wounds all over her body I took my daughter over to the house where it happened to chat "peacefully" with the owner... The dog had already been surrendered to Animal Control and was told it was going to be "put down". I said that's great, now how about you picking up the hospital bill to no response. I called our lawyer to get it sorted out for us. Two weeks after the incident I got a call from Animal Control stating the animal had been euthanized. About 9 months later they finally coughed up the cash for the Dr. bill!

Top Bottom