House Gun > mounting a Laser or Flashlight ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious, but I've noticed that most of the modern handguns being sold today have a "tactical rail" under the barrel which is ideal for mounting useful things like bayonets. But if you don't want a bayonet, it would be equally useful for mounting a compact laser or a compact flashlight.

My logic is that one of those compact high intensity flashlights might be a handy thing to have on the gun because I'd guess that most home invasions would be at night and the high intensity flashlight would serve the purpose of not only semi-blinding an invader but would also illuminate the target so that you can identify the intruder to make sure you don't mistakenly blow away your cat fluffy. Of course the downside is that you have to point your gun at your target to illuminate it and that may not be the best thing if the target turns out to be a friendly visitor, your pet, or your kid.

On the other hand, a laser might be better because it certainly 'sends a message' to your target that he is, in fact, your target. The flashlight mounted on the gun prevents the invader from even knowing you are armed but the laser clearly shows him that he is in serious risk of being carried away by the coroner. BUT, the laser does not illuminate the target so you may not realize that you have drawn down on your drunk brother-in-law who happened to stop by to borrow some beer.

So, any thoughts?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    You have brought up very valid points. I have a TLR 1 on my G35 for home defense. I personally dont like lasers but I wont fault anyone for using one. You gave me something interesting to think about in regards to the light giving away your position. I will be more selective when I decide to turn on my light from now on.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    For a SWAT raid I am sure it would be handy to have mounted on the gun.

For my house, If I am clearing my house I want the ability to shine my light without covering my daugthers with the muzzle of a .45

Each has it's advantages, many people feel differently

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Melensdad,

You pose a question that I believe many have spent hours thinking about. I too anticipate the multitude of responses but instead of providing you with answers, I can only provide you with my personal experience and why I use what I use. The final decision is up to you.

Like you suggest my home defense pistol does come with a tactical rail (Taurus 24/7) and although it's not yet on order a laser will be ordered very shortly. Why the laser? I do not have the pistol equipped with night-sights and want to ensure accuracy of shot at night, so once the laser is tested at the range for distances of 7 yards loc-tite will be used and the laser should not move (high quality lasers won't move even without loc-tite).

As for the flashlight, it's on my nightstand or on my person at all times and in home defense use is held in my weak hand with my thumb on the pressure button. Police style of pistol over weak wrist, light in weak hand pointed in direction of shot. By doing this I don't necessarily have to have the gun pointed in the direction of what I am looking at but if I do need to take a shot, the laser can be quickly activated and shots can be fired accurately.

But that's just me, what's everyone else doing and why?

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I don't care much for laser's myself, but a surefire with a tape switch can be very useful. Just press when you need light, let off when you don't.

For what its worth I also keep a flashlight not attached to a firearm in case the situation calls for light but not force.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I have got a Surefire x300 mounted to a 1911 has my house gun. I also have an handheld right next to it. I grab both.

Redundancy is somethimes a good thing, especially if Mr. Murphy is alive and well.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    TLR-2

2 in one :)
    Strikes me that the combo units are simply too complicated in a 'stress' situation like a home invasion when our minds will likely be running at double speed, our heart will likely be pumping at twice the normal pace, and adrennalin will be elevated to a previously unknown level.

Most of us are not tactically trained, or at least not beyond a few classes taken over a decade, and we are probably not well suited to 'house clearing' and other things that the police practice on a much more regular basis.

I would suspect that 99% of us, under a high stress situation, could not toggle back and forth between the laser and flashlight. I'd think one or the other would have us pretty occupied in a high stress scenario. One thing I really like about the Crimson Trace brand lasers is that they turn on when you naturally grip your gun, if I was going to use a laser, and I may, it strikes me that the Crimson Trace system makes sense, then perhaps a high intensity flashlight in the weak hand to supplement.

Bear in mind, I am a firm believer that a home defense gun needs to be simple enough for a responsible child to use. Sort of the lowest common denominator theory. The gun needs to be useful for the person least trained in using it, but who has previously used and at least become modestly proficient with it. Bear in mind this is coming from a 'dad' who used to travel and leave the family behind while I was out of town on business trips.

Anyone disagree or agree?

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I have the TRL2 and it is fantastic! There is a switch under it to choose Laser, Light, or Laser/light. I usually just leave the switch to laser/light because IF I need it, I don't want to have to fumble. Nice thing about the laser is you don't have to aim conventionally. If you hinding behind a corner, the red dot shows where the hole goes.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a light on my shotgun, none on the G20/G23's, each has a specific use. The 20 stays in the room with the wife, the 23 on my hip, the Mossberg to clear the Foyer, and the 5 wood above the front door for Jehovahs. Simple!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My take on lasers:

They have their place, but that place is limited. I don't buy the "deterrent" argument, as most BGs won't even see the red dot, unless the laser is passed right across his eyes at some point. He certainly won't be looking DOWN at his chest while he's trying to rob/rape/murder you.

I think lasers CAN be helpful for shooting in non-standard positions, such as while laying on the ground or from behind cover (or behind a shield if you're LEO) when a traditional sight picture is unattainable.

Although I would caution people to not rely on one as their primary sighting system, I can't fault someone for having one "just in case" for those situations mentioned above. Having a backup J-Frame with CT grips comes to mind.

On weapon-mounted lights:
    Again, I think they have their place. LEO and SWAT operations first come to mind, as dark building searches and raids are commonplace. So I would say they indeed need them. Its tough opening multiple doors and going hands-on with suspects when you're already juggling your gun, handheld light, radio and assorted other instruments.

But for the average homeowner? I certainly think there IS a place for one here as well. The #1 argument I always hear is "weapon-mounted lights are bad because you are pointing your gun at whatever the light is pointing at, which could be your kids, drunk uncle, etc". While I certainly prefer to adhere to the "4 rules", I would like to think that people are confident enough in their gun handling abilities to be able to quickly identify the thread/non-threat, access the situation, and then act accordingly, even if you just lit up (with the light) drunk Uncle Larry for a moment. I think he would appreciate that more than if you just started shooting at his darkened silhouette.

But I'm sure that theory will send some folks into a gun safety coma. So at night I have a TLR-1 or Glock light attached to the 19, and a handheld light right next to the pistol box. As one poster already pointed out, redundancy can be a good thing.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I bought the Surefire pistol light, but I realized that to see anything you end up painting it with the business end. I kept it, but now use a seperate Surefire light, so I don't paint anything I don't intend on destroying.

The mounted light is a sweet rig, for LE or Military I would think, but for what I paid for it, I do not have enough uses to justify the price of it.

My :twocents: :D

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I use the weapon-mounted light. I like to have the option to have a free hand if need be (mag change, opening door, phone use). Regardless of whether I use a hand held or a weapon mount; the light is always the same direction of the weapon muzzle.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Thanks you saved me allot of typing...

Melensdad,

You pose a question that I believe many have spent hours thinking about. I too anticipate the multitude of responses but instead of providing you with answers, I can only provide you with my personal experience and why I use what I use. The final decision is up to you.

Like you suggest my home defense pistol does come with a tactical rail (Taurus 24/7) and although it's not yet on order a laser will be ordered very shortly. Why the laser? I do not have the pistol equipped with night-sights and want to ensure accuracy of shot at night, so once the laser is tested at the range for distances of 7 yards loc-tite will be used and the laser should not move (high quality lasers won't move even without loc-tite).
    As for the flashlight, it's on my nightstand or on my person at all times and in home defense use is held in my weak hand with my thumb on the pressure button. Police style of pistol over weak wrist, light in weak hand pointed in direction of shot. By doing this I don't necessarily have to have the gun pointed in the direction of what I am looking at but if I do need to take a shot, the laser can be quickly activated and shots can be fired accurately.

But that's just me, what's everyone else doing and why?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    My nightstand gun is a third gen Glock 19 with a LazerMax in it and a TLR-1 mounted under the barrel.

I have found that I can use the edges of the light to identify things with out actually sweeping them.

I also have other flashlights around if I need them, but the TLR-1 seems to fill the bill most times. I have a number of things I inspect in the night. Most times turns out to be a coon, deer or cat. But one never knows. Really need to replace my dog. Would save me a lot of trips outside in the dark...LOL

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So at night I have a TLR-1 or Glock light attached to the 19, and a handheld light right next to the pistol box. As one poster already pointed out, redundancy can be a good thing.

:+1:

Light on the long gun, light on the handgun (both have night sights, as well), Surefire G2 on the nightstand, 3-D Maglite under the bed.

Oh, and with most decent weapon-mounted lights, it's entirely possible to light up most of a room just by directing the beam at the floor. That saves you from having to point the muzzle at a target you haven't yet identified, if you're not comfortable doing that.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Before all these fancy gun mounted systems came around I was trained with a flashlight. You could tape the light to your gun or hold it. However if you decide to use a handheld unit I was taught to hold the light in your week hand in a posistion "away" from your body. The human instinct is to fire at the light pointed at you.

Just a thought that came to mind that I still follow as a rule.

:twocents:

Last edited:

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Oh, and with most decent weapon-mounted lights, it's entirely possible to light up most of a room just by directing the beam at the floor. That saves you from having to point the muzzle at a target you haven't yet identified, if you're not comfortable doing that.

The only problem with this is you have now exposed your position and possible became and easier target.

Before all these fancy gun mounted systems came around I was trained with a flashlight. You could tape the light to your gun or hold it. However if you decide to use a handheld unit I was taught to hold the light in your week hand in a posistion "away" from your body. The human instinct is to fire at the light pointed at you.

Just a thought that came to mind that I still follow as a rule.

:twocents:

Yes I have been taught the same thing. The light can be used as a diversion. Disposable Heart and I had this discussion when we meet a while back.

Top Bottom