House Gun > mounting a Laser or Flashlight ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The only problem with this is you have now exposed your position and possible became and easier target.

But this will be the case no matter what type of light you are using, even if its an "off-the-body" technique. More important is that you utilize the light in short bursts while you are moving, rather than keeping it on constantly.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    But this will be the case no matter what type of light you are using, even if its an "off-the-body" technique. More important is that you utilize the light in short bursts while you are moving, rather than keeping it on constantly.

If you light is pointed at the potential target when you engage the light this is not a problem. Short bursts or not, if you have to use the light for movement then you can expose yourself.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you light is pointed at the potential target when you engage the light this is not a problem. Short bursts or not, if you have to use the light for movement then you can expose yourself.

I'm still a bit unclear.

I'm saying no matter what type of light (handheld or mounted), it WILL be pointed at the BG, which will expose your position. I'm not talking about using the light to light up my path when I'm moving; I'm talking about lighting up the BG for a quick second, and then immediately moving to another location.

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    a dear friend and avid gun owner from Wyoming quoted this to me:

"Forget lights mounted on pistols. Now the following is my opinion. Most of that fancy gagitry is just that. I doesn't replace good tactics. A flashlight can reveal your position thus being a hindrence and not a help. My customs officer friend used a small hand held flashlight with a button on the bottom so he could use his thumb to turn it on and off. The new Streamlight works well.

Learn to shoot one handed. Use the flashlight (only if you need to) with your off hand. Remember, you know your home better in the dark than the perp that broke in. Use that to your advantage.

Again, in my opinion, a flashlight on a pistol is an offensive tool. In this day and age you have to prove defence not offence. If you have a bunch of tactical do-dads on a firearm, that could work against you in a court of law.

I absolutely hate all that fancy high-tech crap mounted all over a good base firearm. I think most of it is just like a grille guard on a pick-up. It doesn't do all that much"

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    and finally a competition shooter from southern california:

"
    Tactical lights are fine for Law enforcement and Military where you have body armor, training and a stack of guys behind you. However if you use a light you do so with these as a given. First, you give away your position, even if the light is on temporally. Second, You must lead with your light and expose your firearm to being grabbed by the bad guy, you would be surprised how easily a firearm can be taken from you. LE spends time training on weapon retention and tactics. Third, you destroy your night vision gaining you no advantage over the bad guy.

Think about this as a tactic: Defend an area, get your family together in a room and defend them, as you are doing that you call 911, as you are dialing you announce that you have a gun. Let the police clear the house.

This is exactly what I did 25 years ago minus the 911 call. I actually had my sights on the 1st guy's sternum and was waiting for the second guy to enter the hallway figuring I would take em booth out. When the conditions were right Guy #1 was about 8' from me as I lay on the floor poking my right eye and 1911A1 out around the corner. I popped off the safety and applied trigger pressure, with less than 2 lbs of squeeze left to go I, for some reason I am now thankful for, calmly said out loud " I have a gun" They retreated out the slider they had lifted and entered our house by.

It turned out to be two drunk friends of the next door neighbor playing a joke on him. Problem was they had the wrong house. I was lucky, if it was two armed men wishing to do me harm I may have had a real situation with these guys spraying lead around my house and family, especially if I engaged them. Shooting the guy that just shot and killed your loved one is a high price to pay especially if there was another way to deal with the situation.

Think about what you should do and how you should do it. Have a plan, and another plan when that one is no good. Train and prepare because when the time comes it seldom is under the conditions you expected. "

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I'm still a bit unclear.

I'm saying no matter what type of light (handheld or mounted), it WILL be pointed at the BG, which will expose your position. I'm not talking about using the light to light up my path when I'm moving; I'm talking about lighting up the BG for a quick second, and then immediately moving to another location.

Yes you will expose your self when you turn on your light. I don't understand what you mean by move to another location. When you light up the target you need to determine friend or foe, and if it is foe engage. I'm sure everybodies situation is different. In my case I have an area that offers some protection if a BG gets into my house.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    and finally a competition shooter from southern california:

"
    Tactical lights are fine for Law enforcement and Military where you have body armor, training and a stack of guys behind you. However if you use a light you do so with these as a given. First, you give away your position, even if the light is on temporally. Second, You must lead with your light and expose your firearm to being grabbed by the bad guy, you would be surprised how easily a firearm can be taken from you. LE spends time training on weapon retention and tactics. Third, you destroy your night vision gaining you no advantage over the bad guy.

I don't buy this (unless you shoot your self in the eyes with the light somehow). The advantage you gain is destroying the BG night vision. I have trained with my light and have never had this issue.

Think about this as a tactic: Defend an area, get your family together in a room and defend them, as you are doing that you call 911, as you are dialing you announce that you have a gun. Let the police clear the house.

Bullsh$% I am totally offensive. What happens if your layout prevents you and your family getting together in the same place. You may say this may get me killed, but so can waiting for Police.

This is exactly what I did 25 years ago minus the 911 call. I actually had my sights on the 1st guy's sternum and was waiting for the second guy to enter the hallway figuring I would take em booth out. When the conditions were right Guy #1 was about 8' from me as I lay on the floor poking my right eye and 1911A1 out around the corner. I popped off the safety and applied trigger pressure, with less than 2 lbs of squeeze left to go I, for some reason I am now thankful for, calmly said out loud " I have a gun" They retreated out the slider they had lifted and entered our house by.

It turned out to be two drunk friends of the next door neighbor playing a joke on him. Problem was they had the wrong house. I was lucky, if it was two armed men wishing to do me harm I may have had a real situation with these guys spraying lead around my house and family, especially if I engaged them. Shooting the guy that just shot and killed your loved one is a high price to pay especially if there was another way to deal with the situation.

When I say engage a target it can be verbally as you did, and yes like you said they had the wrong house and didn't mean you any harm. If they have a weapon and mean to do you harm then engage (shoot) the target.

Think about what you should do and how you should do it. Have a plan, and another plan when that one is no good. Train and prepare because when the time comes it seldom is under the conditions you expected.

+1000

I am not saying that if it was me it would go like a movie where I shoot 4 BGS with 2 shoots (little humor) after they fired hundreds at me.

Last edited:

Squatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Everyone and their situation is different, you just have to find what works best for you and helps you sleep better. Then practice...

Shane

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Bullsh$% I am totally offensive. What happens if your layout prevents you and your family getting together in the same place. You may say this may get me killed, but so can waiting for Police.

:+1: This same sort of thing was discussed in a thread a while back, right after I joined. This is exactly my situation.

I think a lot of people are assuming that your light, mounted or not, is on the entire time you're clearing your house. Definitely not! Light comes on to confirm the silhouette in my sight picture is a shoot vs. no shoot. My kids are both < 4' tall, and I don't have any uncles, drunk or otherwise, that might be trying to get in and play a prank on me.

This is an exercise, minus weapon, that I do every morning. I get up an hour before anyone else, and the house stays dark so I don't wake anyone up. I make my way from the master bath through the house and upstairs to the computer room with no lights on. I have barbie shoes, legos, hotwheels and the occasional squeek toy of the dogs that may be in my path. I've become pretty damn good at moving quietly through my house at night.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think a lot of people are assuming that your light, mounted or not, is on the entire time you're clearing your house. Definitely not! Light comes on to confirm the silhouette in my sight picture is a shoot vs. no shoot.

And after you confirm the identity and location of your target, the light goes OFF and you MOVE to avoid any incoming fire, while delivering rounds of your own.

Some folks cry that the badguy is "just going to shoot at the light"... in reality, they're going to shoot at where the light was, which is where you will no longer be.

Top Bottom