• yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

Portage Police Department (Indiana)

nsoetdrpoSi287i04fg1f03hg4509hc9fu50hu0t1706l01t4627h005ia8u ·

On Tuesday November 8th, 2022 at approximately 5:45pm officers of the Portage Police Department were dispatched to the intersection of Willowcreek Road and Lute Road in reference to a motor vehicle crash with injuries. Upon arrival, it was determined that a total of six vehicles were involved in the collision. Officers determined that one patient was deceased, a second was alive but unconscious and trapped in their vehicle, and a third sustained minor head injuries. The other involved drivers and passengers made complaints of pain but did not request transport to a medical facility for treatment. The driver with the head injury was transported via ambulance to a local hospital for treatment and is expected to recover.
    The initial investigation shows that a gray 2016 Cadillac SUV was traveling southbound on Willowcreek Road at an extreme rate of speed when it struck the rear end of a white GMC sport utility vehicle that was stopped two cars back from the red light at Lute Road. The Cadillac struck the GMC with such force that the GMC was shoved into the rear of a third vehicle and all three vehicles continued completely through the intersection and came to rest on the south side of Lute Road. In the aftermath of this initial collision three other vehicles that were traveling on Lute Road or northbound Willowcreek were struck in secondary collisions with the first three vehicles. One of these involved vehicles flipped onto its roof and another vehicle came to rest on top of the Cadillac.
    The driver of the Cadillac was successfully extricated and taken via medical helicopter for treatment of serious head and internal injuries at a regional trauma center. He has been identified as a forty-two-year-old Portage man. The cause or reason for the vehicle’s excessive speed remains under investigation. The deceased, who was the driver of the white GMC, has been identified as a twenty-four-year-old Chesterton woman. Her name is being withheld pending notification of the next of kin.
    This crash resulted in all lanes of travel being shut down for approximately five hours while the Portage Police Department Crash Reconstruction Team conducted their on-scene investigation. This is a preliminary summary of events and may change based upon newly discovered details during the course of this ongoing investigation.
    We would like to thank the Portage Fire Department, Lutheran Air medical services, Precision Towing, Porter County Central Communications Center (911), and Porter County Coroner’s Office for their assistance with this incident. The members of the Portage Police Department wish to extend our thoughts and sympathies to the family and friends of the deceased.

Now that I'm retired I do our errands during the week to avoid the weekend crowds. Last week I was going between Lake and Porter counties. I could not get off the road quick enough. The way people were driving was nuts. It wasn't the volume of traffic. It was people driving like inconsiderate a******s. Way too fast.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This isn't something that can be mitigated by moving to another area - or by changing one's routine. This was just damned horrible luck for that poor woman and the others involved.

Just about the only way to not be personally affected by traffic accidents is to not ever drive.

But then again - there are always reports of vehicles running into and through house.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My street used to be a narrow, rough, non-thru road. They since changed it to connect to the highway into town from the south. Early morning traffic just flies down the road, there’s a slight hill that crests about a hundred yards from my drive, k backed out of my driveway to go to work the other morning and some idiot has to lock up the brakes to avoid hitting me! If they had been going anywhere close to the speed limit (30) they would have had ample time to slow down. People don’t think, or they don’t care that their actions can have a major impact on others lives. Slow down! You’ll get there!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife told me about this last night before many details were known; just that there had been a multiple vehicle accident with injuries. When she said it was at Willowcreek and Lute, it seemed odd to me because it sounded like a high-speed collision and that intersection is not one that normally has high speeds on either road.

But one idiot was driving a very heavy vehicle extremely fast into a relatively congested area.

Unfortunately, that kind of thing can happen anywhere.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    This isn't something that can be mitigated by moving to another area - or by changing one's routine.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

We rarely take I-465 around Indy anymore when we drive south from Fort Wayne to Louisville. Instead we exit I-69 onto Highway 9 at Pendleton and get back on I-65 at Flatrock/Edinburgh.

It is extremely relaxing and adds maybe 5 minutes to our total trip. Couple small towns to drive through but generally rolling along at 55-60mph on a well maintained two lane highway. We do avoid this option during deer season when driving after sunset.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    That is a sad occurence of speed, and ? People drive like idiots, still using cellphones, and don't care about you, the guy next to you, or in front or behind. You can't be over cautious enough.

Add the rolling stop signs, no turn signals, blazing through bicycle cross walks, school zones, all a receipe for death by vehicle.

Excuse me Officer, don't you have anything more important to do than stop innocent drivers? I use to hear that one all the time. My answer was NO! You are the reason why you're stopped today! Slow down, save a life! Maybe yours?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    All good points. Bottom line is you gotta be on your A+game when driving anymore. Thoughts and prayers out to the young lady and her family.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I was working in lake county in the mid 90s and while setting at a red light that was turning green I witnessed on dozens of occasions cars moving to the right into the “emergency “ lane to avoid being behind all the cars stopped for the red light on SR 20. This was daily. Those people needed to either be shot or beat in the head with a large stick.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    From WGN TV

The driver of the GMC, 24-year-old Lauren Thompson, was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Cadillac, a 42-year-old Portage man, was airlifted for serious head and internal injuries.

Thompson was in her second year of teaching English at Chesterton Middle School and the school community is “devastated.”

“Lauren was a shining star on the CMS faculty and was loved by her students and fellow staff members,” Principal Mike Hamacher said. “This is a great loss to our students, faculty, and staff members.”

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah every trip thru the 69 project south of Indy is enlightening. Marked 45 limit, traffic moves at 60 to 65 and there is ALWAYS multiple people weaving thru the pack doing at least 80 mph. At this point the highest speed I've seen on the digital boards is 88. It's a miracle there aren't more collisions in this area.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Ban Cell Phones.

I don't know if a cell phone was involved, we just need to ban them.
    Put in software that locks most features above "bicycle" speeds. Done. Hackers and heavy tech people will get around it but the average person won't. Normally I wouldn't condone nanny state behavior but I really don't believe you have a constitutional right to a cell phone while you're driving.

I've had motorcycles forever..... always loved riding. Each year I ride less than the last. I blame myself some, but it's also observing people in traffic. It's damned frightening.

Tragic and sad.....girl in the GMC was still a baby.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Yeah every trip thru the 69 project south of Indy is enlightening. Marked 45 limit, traffic moves at 60 to 65 and there is ALWAYS multiple people weaving thru the pack doing at least 80 mph. At this point the highest speed I've seen on the digital boards is 88. It's a miracle there aren't more collisions in this area.
    I drove through there Friday around 5:30PM, following the son in law who was driving a 26' U-Haul as we moved them from Va to Bloomington.

I was actually impressed with the civility on display, though the 45MPH speed limit seemed more like a suggestion. Especially compared to 465 between there and 70. That was a s**tshow and I doubt we ever broke 35MPH.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Put in software that locks most features above "bicycle" speeds. Done. Hackers and heavy tech people will get around it but the average person won't. Normally I wouldn't condone nanny state behavior but I really don't believe you have a constitutional right to a cell phone while you're driving.

I've had motorcycles forever..... always loved riding. Each year I ride less than the last. I blame myself some, but it's also observing people in traffic. It's damned frightening.

As much as cell phones are an issue, it’s no more so than changing the temp controls on your car AC or changing the radio and for the ladies putting on makeup. We need to curtail all those activities as well while driving.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    As much as cell phones are an issue, it’s no more so than changing the temp controls on your car AC or changing the radio and for the ladies putting on makeup. We need to curtail all those activities as well while driving.
    And it’s already illegal to have a cell phone in your hand while driving. Yet another unenforceable law…

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

Hate to admit it. My motorcycle days are over. Had one too many close calls in traffic. It sucks, but the alternative is worse. Now if I lived out in the sticks. I'm pretty sure I would still be riding. Stay safe!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You generally aren't changing temps or the station, as much as someone getting an hour of screen time behind the wheel.

And since 'guns must be banned', then so should cell phones.

Top Bottom