• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I am excited to see how fast your bullets are cruising along. Your load is extremely accurate! I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck this fall!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ditto. Curious about chrono data. I'm thinking that 4064 will be a little slow and better performance to be had with 4895 or 3031, or something in that range.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    One of the potential downsides to reloading, if you can call it that, is that sometimes you hit a home run on the first pitch. That's what you've done here. Pause a moment, and enjoy your trot around the bases, cuz it doesn't happen all the time. ;)

No need to try other powders, as you will be very lucky to even equal the accuracy you're getting with H4895. You were fortunate to get some superb advice from Kludge, who has definitely "been there, done that", with Indiana-legal 'cats. For you particular needs, you just won't find a better powder. TAC would be suitable, but 4064 is definitely too slow. Even a compressed load will be leaving a lot of pressure on the table. In fact, you'd want to go with a faster powder, if anything. H335 and RL12 are both excellent choices for these shortened 358 Win. loads. You are most likely up in the 2500fps range with those H4895 loads and you could maybe pick another 100fps with a slightly faster powder.

Given the groups you're getting, I wouldn't change a **** thing! Shoot 'em at 200 and 300, if you can. Sight in 3" high at 100 and note how far from POA you are at the longer ranges. Suffice to say that this is a 275-300 yard load, if you shoot as well at game as you do from the bench. I would have bet money those were 50 yard groups, but I take a man at his word. You're all set with this cartridge, so now it's time to load something else. Your work here is done! :)

Imeagher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Been awhile since I've been on here. Still no chronograph, the tac shot decent like an inch and a half. Got a range finder before deer season. I was only shooting at like 91 yards for those earlier groups. My range only goes to 197 yards so I stuck with the 4064 load, 3 shots grouped .75x 1.5". Ended up taking two does with this load. Both double lunged around 100 yards, both ran about 50 yards. Ready for some warmer weather to do a little more shooting.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    It looks to me from the picture of the standard and trimmed cases, that the bullet in the shortened case is loaded to essentially a standard COAL. If that's true, then there is really not much if any lost case volume with the trimmed load, as compared to a standard cartridge. And, if that is accurate, then 4064 is not really a "slow" powder for this trimmed case. Perhaps more than 44 gr could be used (49 gr is listed as max, so 44 would be close to a starting load), but I see no reason to mess with the load as it is, except for simple curiosity. Deer only require so much killing.

I have a 358 Hoosier and my load is 44 gr Accurate 2230 with a 180 gr Hornady SSP. Velocity is supposed to be around 2400 fps. The deer I have shot also went about 50 yds, which is what I expect from a hit that doesn't disrupt the CNS. Nice to shoot deer with a rifle instead of a shotgun!

Top Bottom