• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    How is he liable for something a squatter does on his property?

Check with your insurance provider...in the eyes of the law if it's in your property..wanted or unwanted you can still be liable. Just like if some random kid drowns in your pool even if they don't have permission to be there...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    How is he liable for something a squatter does on his property?

I think Freebird01 has a point. If he really is a squatter, a true trespasser, then Roland's liability is at its lowest, but probably still not zero. Don't know how Indiana law approaches it, but there is the possibility that Roland owes a duty even to trespassers to not present unusual hazards to them; for example, if Roland had excavated the backyard to put in a pool, didn't put up any warning tape or fencing (or even if he did) and squatter/trespasser falls into it in the dark and gets impaled on some rebar...that might be sticky. Especially if squatter/trespasser turns out to be underage. Or maybe squatter/trespasser takes some unsecured pickax from the pool project and goes and murders his BF and BF's uncle.

If Roland knows the squatter is there and either does nothing about it or even gives him a break and grants him permission to stay for a couple hours/days/whatever, then I think his liability for the squatter's actions increases quite a bit -- he's no longer a trespasser, but maybe then legally an invited or social guest? Then if clumsy falls into the partially constructed pool, or gets bitten by the dog, or falls asleep smoking dope and starts a wildland fire that burns down the neighborhood, or maybe worst of all hurts one of Roland's real guests, or a neighbor -- then I think the liability question gets stickier.

Not saying that Roland would be found liable in any of these suppositions, but might be nerve-wracking and expensive to find out in court.

Best to get the cops to remove the squatter ASAP, and if he needs a place to stay, give him the address of the nearest homeless shelter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now the homeless guy is laying on the front porch of the closed down church across the street. He is maybe 20 5'8" and 120 lbs. He behaves very immature.

I'd say the threat level is pretty low with our neighborhood little homeless homosexual. He is looking at his phone and snacking.

The old preacher just showed up so we shall see.

Interesting. Per our conversation at the training, I know about where you live. If that closed down church just closed in the last couple months, Thats not the preacher. He was transferred out last month to a rural church far away from here. (I attend the sister church and he was my pastor too) So Im not sure who that was.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You couldn't have handled it better, and the IMPD representative sounds like a real professional.
    You're quite right that the neighbor needs to be made to understand that he can't just send f-buddies off to camp out on your property.
    The rest of your posts gives the impression that you already understand how to be firm while still being polite, so you should be able to handle that part just as well as the eviction process.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Check with your insurance provider...in the eyes of the law if it's in your property..wanted or unwanted you can still be liable. Just like if some random kid drowns in your pool even if they don't have permission to be there...

If a random kid downs in your pool, the impending lawsuit is on the basis of "attractive nuisance". It doesn't apply to adults. An adult is smart enough to understand the consequences of jumping in someone else's pool.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Interesting. Per our conversation at the training, I know about where you live. If that closed down church just closed in the last couple months, Thats not the preacher. He was transferred out last month to a rural church far away from here. (I attend the sister church and he was my pastor too) So Im not sure who that was.

I stand corrected it was not the preacher. It was a guy and who I had seen working at the church and associated his truck (nice gray ford) to the preacher. The wife told me last night it was not the preacher.

This morning when I went to work the homeless kid was sleeping on the front porch of the church.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If a random kid downs in your pool, the impending lawsuit is on the basis of "attractive nuisance". It doesn't apply to adults. An adult is smart enough to understand the consequences of jumping in someone else's pool.

That is quite a leap there based on some adults I have run into.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I saw the title I wondered what thread this was spoofing.

Wow. Crazy story. Definitely establish boundaries with the neighbors.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would have the young man (?) removed again. This would not fly around here. You are a very kind person and good on you but this behavior is just spooky.

The Uncle needs to be made aware of what his charge is up to before something serious happens.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Hey count yourself lucky. At least it's just some homeless guy that was camping on your property. Not a extremely mentally ill clown (literally) camping in your house for who knows how long...

And yes I'm serious didn't happen to me but in the 80s up in NWI it did. The parents were going out for a date night and the baby sitter came over. They told her that one of the two little kids had been having nightmares about a clown. She ended up having to go down to the basement and saw a life size clown statue. The Mom called a little later to check in and the babysitter mentioned that the clown statue in the basement might be the cause of the nightmare. The Mom said we don't have a clown statue... Needless to say panic ensued.

Sitter and kids got the heck out of dodge while Mom called the police. The guy was known to the police and was long gone in the head but supposedly harmless. He had gotten in and had been living in the basement for an unknown length of time, wandering the house at night, and eating their food.

Wow. Crazy story.

See above.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    tl;dr
    is this one of those penthouse forum stories...

Funny you would draw this connection. A similar story I remember is the time a friend who at the time was a manager at the Flying J at Haubstadt became aware of a non-customer malingering on the property. Joe followed the guy (who had a significant head start) across the parking lot toward the shrubbery growing at the corner of the property. By the time he got there, he discovered that there were in fact two squatters (at least of opposite gender) and I'll give you one guess what the two of them were doing by the time Joe got to the tent. Definitely a 'what has been seen cannot be unseen' moment!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Funny you would draw this connection. A similar story I remember is the time a friend who at the time was a manager at the Flying J at Haubstadt became aware of a non-customer malingering on the property. Joe followed the guy (who had a significant head start) across the parking lot toward the shrubbery growing at the corner of the property. By the time he got there, he discovered that there were in fact two squatters (at least of opposite gender) and I'll give you one guess what the two of them were doing by the time Joe got to the tent. Definitely a 'what has been seen cannot be unseen' moment!
    :pimp:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hey count yourself lucky. At least it's just some homeless guy that was camping on your property. Not a extremely mentally ill clown (literally) camping in your house for who knows how long...

And yes I'm serious didn't happen to me but in the 80s up in NWI it did. The parents were going out for a date night and the baby sitter came over. They told her that one of the two little kids had been having nightmares about a clown. She ended up having to go down to the basement and saw a life size clown statue. The Mom called a little later to check in and the babysitter mentioned that the clown statue in the basement might be the cause of the nightmare. The Mom said we don't have a clown statue... Needless to say panic ensued. ....

Interesting how similar this is - Home Intruder Poses as Clown Statue

Top Bottom