• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    No experience here, but reading these stories reaffirms my choice to carry when I'm in the house or at a minimum, have a gun nearby in the same room. I even used velcro to affix a cheap holster to the treadmill and have a mirror in front so I can see the basement stairs behind the treadmill. My doors are always locked, which drives my roommate nuts. He thinks I'm paranoid. Sorry buddy, you're renting a room in my house, you live by my rules. :)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Couple of things fwiw.

Depending on what stats you look at and how you define a home invasion, the probability of having one is about the same or greater than a house fire. It's not out of the realm of possibility (although I'm pretty sure these things aren't distributed evenly geographically speaking).

These things can develop a whole lot faster than you might think such that if you don't have your gun on you or within arm's reach, you may not have time to access it.

See post #16 & 35 in this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/261926-guns_at_home-2.html

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Many years ago my brother was home alone when there was a knock at the door. He thought it was someone he knew, so he opened it. Several guys came in, he tried to run away but they grabbed him, beat him, and left him bleeding on the floor.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I was just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge and had to deal with one while they were home. Not necessarily looking for details (unless you want to), just trying to get an idea of frequency and/or likelihood.

Here is a link to an attempted home invasion we had at our home a couple of years ago..I sent the story to Fefal at "Surviving in Argentina" and he posted it. Here is a link..

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA: Home Invasion

It's a very strange and disconcerting experiance to say the least..

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Many years ago my brother was home alone when there was a knock at the door. He thought it was someone he knew, so he opened it. Several guys came in, he tried to run away but they grabbed him, beat him, and left him bleeding on the floor.

Never answer the door unarmed.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Develop a security plan at home. Who calls 911, be armed when answering door, don't open door if you don't know them, keep doors and windows locked, etc. Make sure your wife knows what to do. Most of us have at least an idea of what to do, but if you are both at home you need to work as a team. If you go to the door, your wife should grab the phone, dial 91 and wait to see if the next 1 needs dialed while getting your daughter. Identify a "safe" room that is the default place to go, this room should be easily blocked and locked to delay and have a loaded shotgun in it. You and your wife should have some hand signals to communicate. It wouldn't hurt to have walk through your plan a couple of times twice a week for a few months, then back off the training to once a month or so.

Or just wait until the SHTF, your wife starts screaming and yelling, and you're standing there like a deer in the headlights.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I relayed some of the experiences to my wife last night.

Today when I got home she stated she is having someone stop by the house tomorrow to pick up somethings (she has a side business). Before I could say a word, she followed it up with "It's somebody I know, so don't have to worry."

There's a Colt Python near the front door because of that worry previously.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I was just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge and had to deal with one while they were home. Not necessarily looking for details (unless you want to), just trying to get an idea of frequency and/or likelihood.

I was a "victim" in a way. I was still living at my parents home, had just gotten off work at 8AM. Having been up for about 24 hours, I was tired and fell right to sleep. At around 1130AM, I heard three bangs followed by a crashing sound. Got my gun, but didn't get my glasses. Saw a person in our kitchen, they saw the gun and ran out the front door. Cops came and tracked the footprints in the 10 or so inches of snow on the ground to another home in the neighborhood. They arrested the fifteen year old girl that was home alone.

Suggestions: Wrought iron security doors are good, though Menards and Lowes usually will have some sort of fancy security storm door (extra long latches, latches at the top and bottom, shatter proof glass) that look fairly decent. Basically harden the doors, as those are the primary entry points. Never open the door for strangers, never. Cameras are cheap, get a hardwired system with an intercom system as well. No matter what, if the person is unknown, deal with them through the intercom and don't open the door. Most important thing is an alarm system. You can actually leave it on during the day for the perimeter security if you want. Many have panic/ambush buttons that will send a signal and activate the siren.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Best way to prevent a home invasion robbery:

1) Don't sell dope.
    2) Don't belong to a gang that's primary source of income is dope.
    3) Don't spread the word you have large amounts of cash, firearms, or dope in your house.

That eliminates the motive for the vast majority of home invasions.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Best way to prevent a home invasion robbery:

1) Don't sell dope.
    2) Don't belong to a gang that's primary source of income is dope.
    3) Don't spread the word you have large amounts of cash, firearms, or dope in your house.

That eliminates the motive for the vast majority of home invasions.

I think that used to be true. I don't think it is anymore.

Rooster 308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Lansing, MI
    My kid was up with a cough a while back (2 yrs ago). I took her out to the couch, she fell asleep again, I went out to smoke. 3 am-
    I open the kitchen door into the garage and see this kid (~18yo) pulling himself out of the back window of my car. He books out my back garage door which is already wide open. I called him every name in the book, loud. 911 called, dog comes and tracks him about a block over to another house. Owner wouldn't let the officers in.

The kid had reached up through the dog door and unlocked the locks. I have a really friendly shorthair who didn't even bother to get out of his bed.

Two lessons I learned: better locks throughout the house and a security alarm. Plus, never (even/especially @ 3 am) go outside unarmed.

danil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mishawaka
    A friend of mine was asleep in his apartment with his wife when 2 guys broke in around 2:00 in the morning; he, being in peak physical condition, and "fighting for his(and her) life" literally is what carried him through the fight that ensued. After several minutes of fighting-- the 2 ran off. Seems to me that training and conditioning are excellent compliments to firearms. One may be in a position were combat precedes access to the firearm.

drifter197

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    s/w indy
    One day this last summer I went to let the dog out and opened the door to 2 people standing outside the door with mask over their faces. scared the hell out of me and them. they did not know what to do and could not speak for about 30 seconds after my gun came out. turned out they were friends of my oldest sons there to a play a trick on him.also turned out to not be so funny. THANK GOD FOR ALL THE TRAINING. train people train.

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Evansville Home invasion 911 tape from yesterday.
    Linky

You dont have to "kill". Her shots stopped the crazed until the the police arrived. The CRAZY thing is the guy came back... while the police were there.

BTW, he is out on bond already.

This is what hacks me!!! Out on bond already. LOCK THESE PERPS UP AND KEEP 'EM THERE! You say the jails are too full? Then establish a 3 time looser law. If you can't be rehabilitated and keep commiting crimes, then we have no alternative than to execute you. Next case!

Top Bottom