• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Did not see this posted elsewhere and this is a not good situation! Short version:

BG kicks in door of occupied home. Homeowner retrives firearm, confronts, but does not engage. BG runs to his car, then retrives weapon, fires 2 rounds at homeowner then flees! Thank God GG or others were not hit!

Lots to be learned from this, and I will not armchair quarterback, but seems to present interesting an issue as to "when" a threat has ceased to be a threat!

BE SAFE ALL!

Burglar opens fire on armed homeowner

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    BG kicks in door of occupied home. Homeowner retrives firearm, confronts, but does not engage. /QUOTE]

That's where the fail starts .

The Miami County Sheriff’s Office tells 24-Hour News 8 the homeowner was at home when the suspect knocked on the door and peered into windows. The suspect then kicked in the front door.

This ^ , is when the shooting should've started .

Bottom line , search your soul . If your not willing to pull the trigger to save yourself you shouldn't own a gun .

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bottom line , search your soul . If your not willing to pull the trigger to save yourself you shouldn't own a gun .

I definitely agree you should be prepared to shoot, but I think an argument could be made for owning a gun even if you don't intend to shoot. (Perhaps an airsoft gun?) Who knows, the gun certainly changed the burglar's mind in this scenario. :dunno:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Pulling an airsoft gun wouldn't have made a difference here. Personally, I think pulling an airsoft/pellet gun is a good way to get yourself shot.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think I would have fired in that situation. I would like to think that I would be prepared to shoot. No one knows until faced with that situation. I hope I never find out.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I feel it would be a tough call. I mean someone breaks your door down, you pull your gun, they turn and run.
    Are you going to shoot them in the back?
    Now when the got to the car and I saw them pull a fire arm, then they are re-engaging in the situtation and it would be time to fire.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I definitely agree you should be prepared to shoot, but I think an argument could be made for owning a gun even if you don't intend to shoot. (Perhaps an airsoft gun?) Who knows, the gun certainly changed the burglar's mind in this scenario. :dunno:

yeah it changed the bad guys mind to run out to the car and get his gun and start actually firing? how would a airsoft gun have helped? if someone has kicked in your door, you and your family are in grave danger get your gun and stop the threat period. had he shot at this guy he probably wouldn't have gotten his gun and returned fire, he would have been to busy getting the **** out of the AO. This is all my opinion of coarse. do what you see fit and hope for the best. me personally i'm not willing to take that chance with my family as they me to much to me.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    To this opens up the question of how ready are you personally to engage? Every situation is different, but that split second decision determines outcomes. In this case it could have been deadly when the BG got his gun from the car. On the other hand there is the hesitation to shoot an unarmed/fleeing man. I don't have an answer. It is a question I've thought about, too.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Check your homeowners insurance it may not cover carpet cleaning if you empy your weapon and he bleeds out on your floor. I have hardwood floors :)

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    In this instance, the GG gave the BG a complete pass which allowed him
    to run away and have a second chance at killing someone in the home.

Guy kicks door in, you don't recognize him, empty magazine = live.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Whether the BG is facing, back to you, sideways or standing on his head and he is in your house you shoot without flinching. Does anyone really think that because his back is to you that he can't whip around in the blink of an eye and put a bullet into you or a loved one? Man, that perp is in the wrong place and is a deadly threat. Boxers get knocked out by an opponent throwing a fake then the real punch.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Whether the BG is facing, back to you, sideways or standing on his head and he is in your house you shoot without flinching. Does anyone really think that because his back is to you that he can't whip around in the blink of an eye and put a bullet into you or a loved one? Man, that perp is in the wrong place and is a deadly threat. Boxers get knocked out by an opponent throwing a fake then the real punch.

This raises a good point. Does it matter if the BG is facing you or not?
    Isn't he a threat as long as he is in your house?

Top Bottom