• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I rarely get blown away by a car but my goodness. Watching some of the masters coverage and saw a commercial for the new AMG GT. That is one amazingly beautiful car. I mean with the exception of the Eagle Speedster or possibly Eleanor, has there ever been a more perfect looking car made? I don't even like Mercedes but when I saw the commercial I audibly said, wow!

Meh. I guess if you want a car that looks like a giant [STRIKE]dildo[/STRIKE] marital aid.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I may be out of y'alls type of car, but IMO THIS is the perfect "fun" car:
    1968-pontiac-firebird-pic-63697.jpeg

68 firebird

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So they drove that one on this season of Top Gear* (season 22). The thing was frightfully fast around the track.

*The real one, not the American one.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    No matter how much they make their vehicles look good, same with BMWs, they can never get their quality/durability better. Their product is a money sink. If you don't know what to do with your money, buy a Mercedes/BMW.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    No matter how much they make their vehicles look good, same with BMWs, they can never get their quality/durability better. Their product is a money sink. If you don't know what to do with your money, buy a Mercedes/BMW.

:laugh:

After my 04 Pontiac I bought brand new, that comment makes me laugh! That thing was in the shop more than all 3 of our BMW's put together.
    Plus after 131k miles on the M5, it still doesn't show signs of ware on the seats like the pontiac did after just 20-30k miles.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wow I had not seen that car! I really like it! The lines are great.... It's just different from what everyone else is doing too on top of the fact it looks so good. I think that's why I like it at least.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    :laugh:

After my 04 Pontiac I bought brand new, that comment makes me laugh! That thing was in the shop more than all 3 of our BMW's put together.
    Plus after 131k miles on the M5, it still doesn't show signs of ware on the seats like the pontiac did after just 20-30k miles.

That doesn't surprised me about Pontiac either, they're way below Benz/BMW. Good that yours is holding up. You're one if the few lucky ones, and I wasn't referring to seats when I said quality. Also, 100k is nothing. As long as they're not in the top 10 or 5 in reliability, I'm staying away from them.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That doesn't surprised me about Pontiac either, they're way below Benz/BMW. Good that yours is holding up. You're one if the few lucky ones, and I wasn't referring to seats when I said quality. Also, 100k is nothing. As long as they're not in the top 10 or 5 in reliability, I'm staying away from them.

Wifey's Lexus is utterly reliable and comfortable. 120K, nothin but basic maintenance. My Audi at 130K is a PITA. Poor wearing seat leather, plastic crumbling to dust, every frequently used button is missing it's label. Seems like once a month I am ordering some overpriced part for it.

Given the choice, I still drive my Audi. It makes me smile.:D

Car makers have become very good at producing cars that experience problems at a level their customers are willing to tolerate. If the wife's Lexus gave me half the trouble the Audi did, it would be kicked to the curb tomorrow. I expect it to be completely reliable and comfortable, cause that's all it is. It's performance is OK. It's styling won't win any beauty contest. It's just plain old boring. My Audi has outstanding performance and is nice to look at, so I tolerate it's quirks.:dunno:

All that said, best car I ever had was a Pontiac Bonneville SSE. 250K miles and the only problem it ever gave me were the 5, $75 alternators it ate. And I could change that out in the Autozone parking lot in 10 minutes.:):

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Wifey's Lexus is utterly reliable and comfortable. 120K, nothin but basic maintenance. My Audi at 130K is a PITA. Poor wearing seat leather, plastic crumbling to dust, every frequently used button is missing it's label. Seems like once a month I am ordering some overpriced part for it.

Given the choice, I still drive my Audi. It makes me smile.:D

Car makers have become very good at producing cars that experience problems at a level their customers are willing to tolerate. If the wife's Lexus gave me half the trouble the Audi did, it would be kicked to the curb tomorrow. I expect it to be completely reliable and comfortable, cause that's all it is. It's performance is OK. It's styling won't win any beauty contest. It's just plain old boring. My Audi has outstanding performance and is nice to look at, so I tolerate it's quirks.:dunno:

All that said, best car I ever had was a Pontiac Bonneville SSE. 250K miles and the only problem it ever gave me were the 5, $75 alternators it ate. And I could change that out in the Autozone parking lot in 10 minutes.:):

Lemons don't really count. I have had Toyota vehicles and my dad had one, in a 10/20 years time, besides wear and tear, never had amy major issues. The thing is, the chances of getting a bad one is where most consumers will look at and certain car makers are higher in that category. With that I'm still going with Toyota/Lexus products.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Then quality in what area? I know several people who have no issues... I know of one who has issues but his driving skills or lack of would tear any car up. If 100k miles isn't anything then where are we going with this?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Then quality in what area? I know several people who have no issues... I know of one who has issues but his driving skills or lack of would tear any car up. If 100k miles isn't anything then where are we going with this?

Can't really give you all that info since I have no experience with them but my friend's friends have, based also on consumer reports and from people that talked about their experience with BMW/Benz before switching to Lexus in clublexus.com.

I am aware that you would claim that it's fine since you don't have problems with it and your friends too but that doesn't mean that the majority of owners like you didn't problems. And if that wasn't the case, their product would have been praised for their quality/reliability. All my info is just from online research and consumer feedback, not my own. And just like any potential buyers, these will be what we'll see. So, until that changes, I'm not going to consider BMW/Benz as a go to brand, no matter how good they look and feel.

100K is not an indicator of quality. You could achieve 100K in driving in a year, I've done that on our old and current one. But if your car is 10+ years and 200K+ miles without major problems or repeat minor problems, then your car is just one of the few good ones. My dad's pick up lasted 20 years and no major problems except for the worn out engine pistons.

The way I drive our car, I could be like your friend, who can tear it up, and our toyota and lexus withstood my driving. :)

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So they drove that one on this season of Top Gear* (season 22). The thing was frightfully fast around the track.

*The real one, not the American one.

Yep. Despite it being down on power as compared to the previous generation of the car.

The older one was TOO powerful - lots of that power went up in noise and smoke from the tires.

If I had the means, one of my "toy" cars would be a Bentley Continental GT or a Rolls Royce Wraith. Hubba hubba.

Top Bottom