Holcomb vetoes house bill 1041 which would have stopped guys who pretend they are girls from playing girls sports in school

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Unpopular opinion warning :cheers:

I have multiple friends who have transitioned their gender identity. My perspective on the issue has changed with time and conversations with these people who I consider good friends. I hope that those who supported this bill can gain some

Just like with with the gay marriage issue 15 years ago, or any law left or right really, I can only recommend anyone disagreeing with Holcomb's veto to have a conversation with someone who would be negatively affected by the law to have more data to more fully shape your opinion.

A pretty dark stat is that: "56% percent of trans teens have reported a previous suicide attempt and 86% reported suicidality." - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32345113/ (Also important to note are the reasons mentioned for the suicidality: "School belonging, emotional neglect by family, and internalized self-stigma".) I believe this bill would have had an effect on every one of the 3 reasons.

Please please please: Talk to people who are trans (or just different from you in general) and gain a better understanding of what they have gone thru.

"The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members" - Some dude in a robe

On the legal aspects of the bill itself, the 4th and 5th paragraphs of Holcomb's veto are cleanest arguments for me. His veto reduced legal liability on the state. And there were not found to be actually any issues of unfairness in high school sports as much as the media likes to focus on Lia Thomas.

In any case I thought these days we all agreed to give kids participation trophies instead. :D
    I couldn't care less if some guy wants to live their life as a female or vice versa. No skin off my back. I do care when they start stealing opportunities from actual females and endangering them physically because someone wants to enable their mental illness and put them competing in sports.

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I’ve always wondered if all it takes is for you to believe mentally that you are another gender to make it so, why isn’t that same mental thought or belief not capable of making your body go through the physical change? The “I think therefore I am“ is coming up short.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Correct. When and if technology advances sufficiently to allow star trek like transporters to switch all of a person’s XX chromosomes to XY, or vice versa, then you might have a scientific argument for an actual gender identity switch. Until then, it’s impossible and seems similar to actors and actresses pretending to be something they’re not, IMHO. Presumably actors don’t actually believe they’re what they’re pretending to be, which is why we don’t say they have mental problems!
    Let me add that if some weird guy wants to wear women's clothes and change his name I guess he has the right.
    He doesn't have the right to violate OUR rights by insisting we make believe he's a "woman".
    And he doesn't have the right to compete in women's athletic events, because he's violating REAL women's rights.

But MOST important, he doesn't have the right to go in places like women's restrooms, locker rooms, etc, where REAL women expect privacy.
    And if he goes in these places, I have no problem with the women in those places kicking his *ss, throwing him out, and having him arrested like any other pervert.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

I have multiple friends who have transitioned their gender identity. My perspective on the issue has changed with time and conversations with these people who I consider good friends. I hope that those who supported this bill can gain some

Just like with with the gay marriage issue 15 years ago, or any law left or right really, I can only recommend anyone disagreeing with Holcomb's veto to have a conversation with someone who would be negatively affected by the law to have more data to more fully shape your opinion.

A pretty dark stat is that: "56% percent of trans teens have reported a previous suicide attempt and 86% reported suicidality." - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32345113/ (Also important to note are the reasons mentioned for the suicidality: "School belonging, emotional neglect by family, and internalized self-stigma".) I believe this bill would have had an effect on every one of the 3 reasons.

Please please please: Talk to people who are trans (or just different from you in general) and gain a better understanding of what they have gone thru.

"The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members" - Some dude in a robe

On the legal aspects of the bill itself, the 4th and 5th paragraphs of Holcomb's veto are cleanest arguments for me. His veto reduced legal liability on the state. And there were not found to be actually any issues of unfairness in high school sports as much as the media likes to focus on Lia Thomas.

In any case I thought these days we all agreed to give kids participation trophies instead. :D

So, a couple things:

- I would never knowingly discriminate against a transgender person, under most circumstances.

- There is nothing I can do to affect transgenders' propensity towards 'suicidality'. That's a mental state that was not caused by me.

- From what I read, young adult transgenders (18-24) make up .7 of one percent of that population. I don't believe it's that high, but it's what I read. Assuming that percentage holds true for athletes in that population, why do you think the 99.3% of biologic females should be swept away by biologic male transgenders? Why cater to the .7 percent dysphoriatics to the detriment of the 99.3%? It doesn't pass the smell test.

- As to laws that preemptively ban biologic males from dominating female sports, it matters not that there have not been problems in any particular district. It's preemptive to avoid the problem.

- The Lia Thomas circus is a travesty against the female swimmers. Should have never got this far, and wouldn't have if any of the decision makers had a lick of sense.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    f_that-2-gif.189760

Why not just find it here?
    Right click. Copy image address.
    Insert image button. Paste into by URL link tab.

f_that-2-gif.189760
    That's where I got it. My favorite GIF ever.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    What ive got to say about this whole subkject could fill a book.

At what point do you quit coddling these people and say NO, sorry but im not going to participate in your fantasy DUDE. Would we bend over backwards and stomp on others rights if some dude says hes a dog, a cat, an airplane oh how bout a Mo-Tor. Just because someone wants to claim an absurdity doesn't mean I have to play along.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Did the bill prohibit girls who think they're boys from doing male sports or activities too?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Did the bill prohibit girls who think they're boys from doing male sports or activities too?
    Not sure about that. But the whole point is that a biological male is generally stronger and faster than a biological female. This gives them an undue and unnatural advantage in athletics. There would generally be no such advantage for biological females competing with boys.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Not sure about that. But the whole point is that a biological male is generally stronger and faster than a biological female. This gives them an undue and unnatural advantage in athletics. There would generally be no such advantage for biological females competing with boys.
    Definitely agreed. But you know they're will eventually be ones who want to

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana

How many genders are there? Be specific. How many genders are there? What, specifically, differentiate them? Be specific. How many genders?

Top Bottom