HK416 lower recievers crack? US Military gas-piston guns have cracked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    I was reading the December 2012 Special Weapons for Military and Police magazine and the article "Remington ACR-IC 5.56mm" by Jay Langston and stated in this article was the following (under Final Notes closing remarks section):

In is Individual Carbine configuration, the ACR is a handy, dependable weapon that should score well in military trials. The ACR gas-piston system is reliable and rivals the HK416 now deployed with special operations troops. Even though the ACR-IC is built from lighter weight components, no receivers have cracked. (Currently deployed U.S. military gas-piston guns have cracked at relatively low-round counts.) Time will tell if the ACR-IC will replace the M16/M4 carbine, but in the meantime, it should serve well as a law enforcement carbine with ample firepower and reliability.

I did an Internet search on this topic of U.S. military gas-piston guns having cracked receivers at low round counts but I could NOT locate any supporting information on this topic.

Has anyone read or identified a source for this apparent issued that Special Weapons has mentioned?

I do really like the Remington ACR-IC 5.556mm and think it will be well received. If not by the military, it will be a big hitter among LEO and civilians.
    firearm_carbine_ACR_15_ss.ashx

Remington Defense

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I actually think our mindset is going to be moving more toward some of the most innovative bullpups on the market, so long as there is no degradation of accuracy.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would urge Joy Lanston quote the source of the info and the article did not specifically did not say it was the H&K 416 piston system. There are more than just the H&K piston system being deployed at this time including team specified weapons platforms,contractors and NATO forces.

I like the look of the ACR but don't like the way it has been over-priced,short cuts taken in the manufacture and general non-delivery in an attempt to keep the price inflated. The barrels kits that were supposed to make this platform so modular have never been seen.

Bullpups are cool until you shoot them. They are very loud compared to the same in a regular rifle. I bought a kit to convert my Mini-14 and promptly sold the kit after firing one extended shooting session.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Funny things can happen when someone finds a solution for a non-existent problem.

To my knowledge, the problems with the 416 manifested when suppressors were attached.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Bad things happen to lots of stuff when doodads are fixed to them that the original designer(s) never intended.
    My best fix to my own problem was the RTV trick on the CH. Classic easy fix. Fugly? Yep. Works? Yep.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    I would urge Joy Lanston quote the source of the info and the article did not specifically did not say it was the H&K 416 piston system. There are more than just the H&K piston system being deployed at this time including team specified weapons platforms,contractors and NATO forces.

Jay did not reference where he obtained knowledge of the receivers cracking; regarding US Military Operations use of these gas-piston driven M4s.

Jay did specifically reference the HK416 and gas-piston operated M4s, so I'm curious if anyone has come across similar information regarding the use/issues of these gas-piston operated rifles (Military or otherwise). I had NOT heard of this issue with lower receivers cracking within low round counts utilizing the gas-piston operation.

Any additional sources or links to information on this topic would greatly help me understand this better.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had NOT heard of this issue with lower receivers cracking within low round counts utilizing the gas-piston operation.

I didn't read where it said lower receivers were cracking, just receivers. I would make the assumption that the upper receivers were having issues.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    I didn't read where it said lower receivers were cracking, just receivers. I would make the assumption that the upper receivers were having issues.

Okay upper or lower...your correct the statement made did NOT specify what part of the receiver(s) were cracking.

Regardless, I had NOT heard of this being an issue with gas-piston M4s and wondered if anyone had additional supporting information (websites, links, etc.).

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I searched military.com and asked a bunch of friends via e-mail if they have had issues in injun country. They all said 'Hell yeah! The sand and dust causes everything to break or haze.
    Bunch of funny guys. They said a lot of other things too but just busting my b*lls since I am going 'soft'.:patriot:

Last edited:

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Funny things can happen when someone finds a solution for a non-existent problem.

To my knowledge, the problems with the 416 manifested when suppressors were attached.

With 60,000 suppresed rounds through them. This was a couple years ago.
    They also did not have regulators at that time. Current models have regulators and other upgrades.

RGR12

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    There were ACR rifles field tested a few years ago. They had problems with the barrel locking bolt that was used to switch out different barrel lengths. Daniel Defense has been gaining popularity with usasoc.

RGR12

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    ACR

There were some ACR rifles field tested in Afghanistan not long ago. There were problems with the barrel locking bolt that allowed you to switch out your barrel. Daniel Defense has gained popularity with USASOC.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    One of the problems the Norwegians are having with their piston HK416 is the weather up there freezing them up. One of the problems is that the piston system locks up if the gun is taken outdoors from a warm building when the humidity in the air freezes in the Norwegian arctic conditions.

Another issue, related to the OP's issue is that apparently the gas regulator, which that controls the amount of gas flowing into the gas piston system, often switches modes during firing. The gun will not function properly if set to the suppressor mode if a suppressor is not being used.

The HK417 doesn't have the freezing issue as the 308 round has more energy to overcome the ice.

The old M1 Carbine had this issue with it's gas system.

Top Bottom