• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been away for a bit enjoying time with my newborn son and come back to find this place pretty much the same. Lots of arguments and thread derails and familiar names posting familiar stuff. And some new ones too.

Anyway glad you all haven't changed for better or worse

I'm thinking about picking up a truly Gucci tier off the shelf rifle. Why? Because I want one and I don't have time to build one right now. But I'm a little concerned about quality of the stuff being put out right now. Is it really up to standard or are they just pumping stuff out in a hurry to make money? I've read where Wilson Combat is putting out Protector models that don't have the parts spec'd on their website and still charging 2k for the rifle. Inferior BCGs, shorter rails, poorly fitted receivers and so on. Geissele seems to have hit and miss reviews too. DD is still pumping out M4V7s but I'm wondering about the quality. If any one has any info on current quality of these guns please post it up. Thanks

Brands I'm looking at are:
    Geissele
    Daniel Defense
    Wilson Combat
    ADM
    POF
    NEMO

Or I may just say screw it and get an ARSENAL SAM7R-61

Thoughts?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ask yourself: What kind of ammo was WAY more available (all be it 2-3x more expensive than normal) during this current ammo shortage?

Get the Gucci rifle that'll shoot that stuff.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You don't even list the one true high-end AK variant, the Poly Tech series. Whether the AK Type 3 style Legend or the AKM version, the AKS-762 they are considered among if not the best ever imported into the land of shall not be infringed.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    If my avatar didn't give it away, my vote would be for the SAM. I have one myself and it's a damn fine weapon. ARs bore me to tears but that's just me. How are you sitting on x39 ammo and mags? Investing in a new gun is one thing, but investing in a new caliber of ammo and accessories can add quite a heft to that investment.

Also, any consideration for the Galil ACE? You can get them in 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 5.56, and now 5.45. They are the bees knees in terms of fit and finish, reliability, and accuracy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm actually pretty well set on mags and ammo for both rifles. This wouldn't be a first for me on either. Just the first entry into the upper echelons of ARs. I have a SAM7-SF but honestly hate the side folding stock. Also have a couple Veprs including the FM-11. So not my first "high end" AK. But AKs are a PITA to customize everything has to be fitted and trimmed to that specific rifle and it's fun and all but I'm over it. ARs everything snaps together fairly easily.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I own and enjoy many of both. I will never buy a new Arsenal again, the price is not worth it. I would look at the Galil ACE for a high end 7.62x39 rifle.

Gucci AR? KAC or LMT MWS. Accept no substitute.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have many brands of AR and if I have to have two brands would be BCM and LWRC, both excellent quality without the GUCCI prices. both while simple the materials and components are high quality and would not hesitate to use them to save my life. this is just my opinion and I'm not an expert, I do want to buy an AK in the future as the 7.62X39 was available at all times so will wait until I see prices down to earth. Im learning about the AK so can't give a suggestion on those due to the market and availability.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have many brands of AR and if I have to have two brands would be BCM and LWRC, both excellent quality without the GUCCI prices. both while simple the materials and components are high quality and would not hesitate to use them to save my life. this is just my opinion and I'm not an expert, I do want to buy an AK in the future as the 7.62X39 was available at all times so will wait until I see prices down to earth. Im learning about the AK so can't give a suggestion on those due to the market and availability.

Agree add LWRC to the list , my IC-Di is an absolute fantastic rifle. I have seen them around $1,600-$1,800 and they appear to be the same as ever.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I believe that my Noveske rifles and my newly acquired Giessele Super Duty ODG are well worth the money. I didnt pay full retail though. BCM makes a great rifle at their price point.

Some of the AKs (preban Norincos/ Polytechs etc) have gone up so much that they are more for collections than range rifles.

And dont buy into the old "AKs are more reliable BS".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Please don't take this wrong in any way.

Having seen the truly high quality rifles, like Weatherby rifles that were custom built by Roy Weatherby himself, or fine double rifles made by James Purdy & Sons. Even the "F" grade Winchester products with wood that you could think worthy of an altar in heaven. I have seen Fabbri shotguns that took $250,000 down payment. Some of the old school Sauer high end rifles were fantastic workmanship and detail.

It is hard for me to think of bent sheet metal or cast aluminum and plastic combat rifles as "high end". I really do understand that they can be made to shoot accurately and perform well but they cannot hide their combat rifle roots.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom