Hennessy Hammock, the Ultimate Survival/Bug Out Shelter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I set out to review the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe Asym from the aspect of a survival or bug out shelter. What I ended up with was a piece of gear that has revolutionized my bug out bag. One night in the Hennessy Hammock and you may as well just toss the old tent, you’re never going to sleep on the ground again.

[video=youtube;FQTNhSWxXbg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQTNhSWxXbg[/video]

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have not done any research but I would question the cold weather viability of being off of the ground. If you are on the ground in the snow it will always be around 32 degrees below you but suspended it can be much colder and harder to regulate. All that said for anything above snow type weather this might work well.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Hennessy has a "Supershelter" insulation system. That, and a good bag you are supposedly down into the single digits. I just discovered them so I can't give an opinion just yet.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Just using a sleeping bag in a hammock won't get you into the single digits. The bag compresses under you, and then you loose heat out of the bottom from the air moving under the hammock. Kinda the same idea as when you see an "ice on the bridge" sign. There are several ways to avoid this like using a closed cell pad or an underquilt. But you will get varying degrees of comfort and reliability with these methods. I've always been fine with the pad, but I know people that think it's uncomfortable and say that it moves around. Underquilts are typically really expensive. Check out hammockforums.net, they have a lot more information about this kind of stuff than I can give anyone.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Just using a sleeping bag in a hammock won't get you into the single digits. The bag compresses under you, and then you loose heat out of the bottom from the air moving under the hammock. Kinda the same idea as when you see an "ice on the bridge" sign. There are several ways to avoid this like using a closed cell pad or an underquilt. But you will get varying degrees of comfort and reliability with these methods. I've always been fine with the pad, but I know people that think it's uncomfortable and say that it moves around. Underquilts are typically really expensive. Check out hammockforums.net, they have a lot more information about this kind of stuff than I can give anyone.

I was using my sleeping pad but seems to move to much with my narrow hammack
    .Venture Products, LLC Outdoors Camping Basics Self-Inflating Mat, Green: Camping : Walmart.com
    then i tried the car windshield foil thingys for a pad . Auto Expressions Diamond Matrix Windshield Sun Shade - Walmart.com seems to work for me can be folded smaller then my sleeping pad. Coldest i've sleep in a hammack was 33 out with high winds with just a bivey cover for a sleeping bag. i slept pretty good that night.

Thanks for the Link I'm checking them out right now.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Relatively new hanger here. Bought an ENO Doublenest last year and haven't looked back. I have one set up in the backyard with a tarp over it. I've been sleeping outside in it a few nights/week just testing different stuff.

For the cold weather you need what's commonly referred to as an under quilt. Even a night in the hammock with temps in the high 60s will leave you cold if you're not using some sort of insulation under you. These aren't my pics, but here is a couple of underquilt examples.

IMG_1441.jpg

5KyyInq.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've used a hammock to sleep under a helicopter once or twice, but couldn't get comfortable sleeping on my back. I'll stick to the ground, boys and leave the trees to apes. . . :)

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    I've looked into these and I'm debating if I should get one. I currently have the Cabelas Outback Lodge tent 8x8 for my bug out bag

[video=youtube;0r9GzWP9wrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r9GzWP9wrU[/video]

My whole idea behind my bug out shelter is that It HAS to be a 4 season shelter. Also, I have a dog :thumbsup:. A Hammock will not provide shelter for me or him. Also when you take in considerating that you have to pack some sort of insulation to put inside the hammock + sleeping bag = it ends up weighing as much as a shelter, and ends up taking more space. This is why I didn't go with a hammock. Although I'm still considering getting one....

But as you can see, my Tent is big, weighs only 8.9lbs (without the center pole / stakes) and is great for summer/winter.

Nice channel!

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I've been curious to check out hammocks, but I am a stomach sleeper and am concerned that it wiould not be comfortable for me. For now I'm a ground dweller in a tarp tent that uses my trekking poles. I have run into the situation where the ground was mostly rock and stakes barely worked. It was also very hilly and that time I thought to myself that a hammock would be really nice!

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    the one thing you also have to take in consideration with a hammock is dead branches. High winds can cause large branches to fall right on top of you. I've seen large branches fall when there are high winds. :twocents:

Top Bottom