• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I have been carrying the same knife for almost 20 years. I have been doing pretty well at work, and am thinking about a knew EDC blade. The requirements are not Benhmade, quality steel, durable auto opening mechanism, about a 3.5 inch blade, and made in USA.

This is what I'm retiring; Benchmade 4300BK

I found this Gerber; Gerber Empower, but don't know how their auto quality is. Any other suggestions I should look at?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have a couple of gerber assisted openers, and they are gritty, rough and far from smooth! My dad had one, same thing, he contacted gerber about it, and they said they make them that way…so if it were me I’d probably pass on their automatic knives.

Based on your description I really think that the kershaw launch series is where your gonna end up. Take a look, for the price and durability I think the launch is the best bang for the buck! I own 3 and 2 are in daily rotation.

If you don’t mind me asking, if you got 20 years of life out of the benchmade, why aren’t you wanting another benchmade? (Btw another in my rotation is a benchmade casbah and I love it!)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I carry the Kershaw Launch. Its the fastest auto I have ever had. Been carrying it and using it as a tool. It has held up fine. I paid $99

Attachments

• 16576731095267181965127844933989.jpg
      16576731095267181965127844933989.jpg
      325.3 KB · Views: 15

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    tYzWZLx.jpg

Microtech LUDT would be a solid replacement , better grade steels IMHO than Benchmade and still made in the USA. I believe they are currently using M390 or CTS-204P both of which are excellent. Though Microtech only produces knives in "runs" so finding one might prove difficult. Pricing should be similar to the Benchmade as well.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I am planning to keep my Benchmade as a work knife, and carry a new one as something a little nicer looking. It will eventually go back to get rebuilt and sharpened again. It's really just an excuse to buy a new knife. :)

I do want another auto, I have a couple assisted openers, and like the autos better.

There are a couple Launch models I like. The Hogue Ballista looks good too. I think there are going to be too many choices.

Is there any place close to Fort Wayne that has a good knife selection so I can go play with a few to see what I like?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How about this?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I am planning to keep my Benchmade as a work knife, and carry a new one as something a little nicer looking. It will eventually go back to get rebuilt and sharpened again. It's really just an excuse to buy a new knife. :)

I do want another auto, I have a couple assisted openers, and like the autos better.

There are a couple Launch models I like. The Hogue Ballista looks good too. I think there are going to be too many choices.

Is there any place close to Fort Wayne that has a good knife selection so I can go play with a few to see what I like?
    I like the pro-tec Swat I got from mouse.

Milo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Fort Wayne, IN 46808, USA

Blademans is the only one I know of. They have a website.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I do like the look of the LUDT. I will have to find one to look at. And thanks for the Blademan tip. They are pretty close, I need to go check them out.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    I have been carrying the same knife for almost 20 years. I have been doing pretty well at work, and am thinking about a knew EDC blade. The requirements are not Benhmade, quality steel, durable auto opening mechanism, about a 3.5 inch blade, and made in USA.

This is what I'm retiring; Benchmade 4300BK

I found this Gerber; Gerber Empower, but don't know how their auto quality is. Any other suggestions I should look at?
    Your budget is going to be a big driver here, especially for made in USA. Spyderco makes some awesome blades, their USA products are more pricey though of course. Just picked up a Manix 2 this past weekend that I love. If you move past the made in USA requirement, Kizer makes awesome knives for the price. Typically N690 steel.

Top Bottom