• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I had never heard of a M38 until I joined this site. Is there an easy way to tell? Would any additional information help?
    Also, since I do not have an original M38, how hard would it be to put it back somewhat original?
    Thanks.
    You're going to need the stock, handguard, bolt, and front action screw in addition to the front sight. Considering the cost involved and the condition of what you have, might be better off just getting a bolt and shooting the heck out of it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would never claim to be bi-lingual, but I believe this is a Spanish Mauser? Or maybe from Mexico? It is missing the bottom plate and the end barrel band. Not sure if those are difficult to track down or not?
    It's a model 1893, most likely chambered in 7x57 unless it's been rechambered. Not sure about the parts availability but you might try Numrich.

greatwhite223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Rural LaGrange
    Lastly, the nicest of the bunch that I got. I think it is a 6.5 x 55 Swedish. I think I figured that out by Googling the numbers. I have a box of shells for this one! Has anyone seen one of these sell?

Attachments

• SW1.jpg
      SW1.jpg
      344.8 KB · Views: 12
    • SW2.jpg
      SW2.jpg
      267.8 KB · Views: 10
    • SW3.jpg
      SW3.jpg
      278.4 KB · Views: 11
    • SW4.jpg
      SW4.jpg
      344.1 KB · Views: 12
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Lastly, the nicest of the bunch that I got. I think it is a 6.5 x 55 Swedish. I think I figured that out by Googling the numbers. I have a box of shells for this one! Has anyone seen one of these sell?
    At one time that was a Swedish M94 carbine. Without the original stock and nosepiece unable to determine the version. Again, sporterized and in fairly rough shape. I have seen those sell in original, good condition for well into 4 figures.
    Oh, and replacement original stock parts are, at best, salty to unobtainium.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It's a model 1893, most likely chambered in 7x57 unless it's been rechambered. Not sure about the parts availability but you might try Numrich.
    Did you see the star of David on it? It might have been rechambered in 7.62x51. After 1948 the Israeli's were buying anything they could get there hands on...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did you see the star of David on it? It might have been rechambered in 7.62x51. After 1948 the Israeli's were buying anything they could get there hands on...
    No, I missed that! Didn't know they did that to Spanish Mausers. I've got an Israeli K98 but it's clearly marked as 7.62x51.

1642763257515.jpeg

Top Bottom