• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: Something else to keep in mind:

Generally speaking, the smaller the gun, the higher the felt recoil. Simple physics.

Weight of the gun will mitigate felt recoil.

If she has grip strength issues - a "high recoiling" gun may not work, even though a slide may be easier to rack.

I'll be interested in how the recoil of the new Walther compares to that of it's competition... Wonder if that gas system makes any difference on that end of things.

-J-

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    what would be the easiest 9mm for her to rack the slide, we are closing in on our 60's and her hand strength isn't the best. she has a very hard time with my shield, this would be her every day carry, all suggestions and advice appreciated, thanks
    Rack the slide for her to put a round in the chamber, then load the mag to full capacity. If she carries it with one in the chamber, she won't have to rack the slide to use the pistol.
    (barring some malfunction or reload)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have yet to have a woman in one of my Basic Pistol classes, that with the correct technique, could not pull the slide back on a Glock 17. Nothing wrong with a revolver but keep in mind they are much more difficult to aim accurately because of the long double action and I have seen a couple of women that didn't have the strength to pull the trigger on a DA revolver.. Bottom line is to let her try what ever it is before buying.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What about the new Remington 9mm? I have not shot or held one to date, but have read that it is easier as compared to other small handguns to cycle the slide. Other than that, I can attest to the PK380 being super easy to operate, very close to that of a full size 22 handgun.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I saw people recommend the sig p938 (9mm) and the p238(380) These slide move so easily! I've had some guys say "geesh how much have you shot this!?!" upon racking the slide on my p238 which had less than 200 rounds through it at that point. So what I am getting at is out of the box they run with little effort. I am confident my 70+ year old grandmother can run it no problems... My buddy bought his girlfriend a p938 to carry for that reason.. I would take your wife by a shop and let her try and run the slide on it and see how it goes. The recoil is mild too for a gun of that size I am very impressed by it to say the least.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    The correct answer is the beretta 92fs inox compact. HANDS DOWN! I have personally been down this road with over 50 guns and the beretta was the gun she picked in the end. She hated how much felt recoil there was in the revolvers. First pull the hammer back then rack the slide reduces the amount of force needed. Also she should learn technique. Hold the slide with your weak hand and the pistol grip with your strong hand dominate hand then drive the gun down with your strong hand vs pulling. Much easier to rack the slide this way. There are YouTube videos with this technique for the ladies and the girly men out there. I am sure any beretta 92 will do. If you find something easier let us know.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My mom came asking about a light-weight, easy to shoot, handgun to carry while out walking (they live on a farm and she likes to go for walks along the roadsides) but doesn't wish to be am 'easy victim' if anyone so desires to try and make her one! After much discussion, we decided that the best gun for her would be a Ruger LCR in .22 WMR!

Reasons:
    1. The gun is very easy to handle (load, shoot, recoil, etc.)
    2. The gun is very simple to use (DA revolver...simply pull, point-n-shoot!)
    3. While not having 'knock down' power, the little .22 WMR will definitely achieve penetration and is know to be one of the worst calibers to be shot with!
    4. Weight...LCR weighs in at something like 13 oz...so carrying in a pocket is easily accomplished!
    5. Reliability...revolvers are amongst the most reliable guns on the market...more so than a semi-auto!

With that in mind...what about an LCR in .38+P? It'll gain better penetration than a 9mm...and be easier to use? Just a thought...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Nothing wrong with a revolver, I have gone back to that for my EDC, but my other most-often carried is a Sig P938. I don't think racking the slide gets much easier than that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Again:

Small revolvers = high felt recoil. (in .327 and higher)

Now, I'd rather shoot an LCR at the range than my wood-gripped J-frame using the same ammo... But they're still no fun to shoot.

If someone's struggling with grip strength, I still don't see how "give them a small lightweight double action revolver" is going to solve anything.

-J-

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I do have to add that in my previous post she liked the beretta but it is too big to put in a purse vs a 38 sp revolver or a sig 938 etc. For me the up side is I have her shooting and becoming familiar with guns which is a step in the right direction. She even dislikes how loud guns are when you fire them. Just wait until I get her working on the rifles and shotguns. Baby steps forward is better than where I was. All the shootings in the news lately have been a big help in making my point about self defense.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If she's jumpy at the sound - she needs better and/or more hearing protection.

Especially if shooting under a canopy or indoors, I'll generally always put squeezies in and then muffs on top of that.

I've got a set of custom molded ear plugs coming soon - and if I'm indoors, I'll still probably put muffs on top.

-J-

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If she liked the 92, but it was too big, the next logical step is the Cheetah. The Beretta Cheetah is a great gun for those with limited hand strength. .380 vs 9mm is a wash in most circumstances that a 60 year old woman is going to find herself in.

Advantages:

Good weight vs caliber, recoil will be mild
    Bigger grip than most in the category, hands don't have to close as tightly to get a good purchase (a very important consideration for those with arthritis)
    Tip up barrel eliminates the need to rack the slide

Disadvantages:
    Still have to rack the slide if there is a malfunction
    It is on the bulky side for a .380 if ease of concealment in multiple modes of dress is a concern
    Can be difficult to find in stock

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    is her problem with her grip strength, i.e. the holding of the slide, or with her arm, i.e. the ability to pull against the spring?

maybe a pistol that fits her hand well, and she's comfortable shooting, with a red dot rear sight, so she could push against that with the side or her hand? they don't necessarily add so much bulk they won't conceal, and are also easier for some to use than standard sights.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Get her some time with a trainer. This is the best thing she can do. She will learn her limitations BEFORE she buys a gun. But with her training, she will be able to do more than she thinks.

Make sure you leave it up to her.

squintz22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Between FW and Indy
    As a smaller (right-handed) female, with small hands? I had to learn to push with my right hand, instead of pulling with my left. I tried so many different ones before I had somebody suggest that. Once I was able, I haven't had any issues racking any of the ones I have. (Glock 27 and Ruger LC9 are my carry options depending on what I'm doing)

Top Bottom