• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Agreed, I can remember touching of 357 magnum outside without hearing protection when I was probably 19 or so, and immediately not being able to hear out of one ear for a couple of days.

My dad has significant hearing loss and has to use hearing aids, so I'm probably genetically doomed in that area as well as others.
    Yeah, I think a 357 seems worse than a 44 mag, maybe it's the higher pitch. But a 30 carbine Blackhawk is Really Loud!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    When I had my hearing checked the doc said; " I bet when you are in a crowd, you don't hear so well". He was spot on. Apparently along with the tinnitus, I have some loss that the upper frequencies which causes the hearing issues when there is a lot of extra noise around. I'm no good to be in a crowded bar and try to converse with people. I may as well stay home. Which I do. :)
    Funny enough, it's very hard for me to hear in a room where everyone is talking. I just noticed this year.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You married? Does your wife typically sit to your right? A lot of guys develop a notch filter where the center frequency is about the same as their wife’s voice. :):
    Long ago I remember my great uncle who had a hearing aid. The was the kind that looked like a transistor radio he kept in his front shirt pocket with a cord that went to his ear. He spent a lot of time out in the boat fishing (drinking beer) and when he would get back to the house my great aunt would start rattling off honey do list items. You could watch him reach to his pocket and turn down the volume as she kept yammering on.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Can any hearing aids help cancel out the ringing of tinnitus? I Googled it and found contradicting answers.
    I don't want to spend thousands on hearing aids that just make the ringing louder but I sure would like something to help.
    If you have any suggestion type your response in ALL CAPS.

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    Many years ago we had an old timer that used to spend a couple of days with us at our deer camp.
    He wore hearing aids but at night he would take them out to sleep.
    He didn't trust us youngsters to wake him up in the morning so he would take his old wind-up alarm clock and put it in the tin ash bucket we used to clean the wood stove out with.
    We all thought that was pretty funny.
    Now, not so much.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My wife's voice is hard to make out most days. We have been together all our adult lives and she still talks in another room, or facing away. Get my attention and I will pay attention! Otherwise, I just ignore the noise.
    And most noise is almost painful now. I get overwhelmed by too much and leave the area.
    And then the tinnitus! It never stops! I started leaving the TV on low to try to cover it at bedtime.
    You can also run a small electric fan bedside at night and the white noise minimizes the tinnitus

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Can any hearing aids help cancel out the ringing of tinnitus? I Googled it and found contradicting answers.
    I don't want to spend thousands on hearing aids that just make the ringing louder but I sure would like something to help.
    The ringing is phantom noise, it is generated because of damaged cells that are no longer able to react to certain frequencies but the nerves they used to feed still fire randomly. There is no actual noise that a hearing aid can pick up and amplify. That said, those cells still won't be able to respond to those frequencies so even the amplified output from a hearing aid will not completely wash out the ringing nor can you damp the 'sound' out via noise cancelling

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is some indication that using 50/50 nitrous/O2, for dental work or as an adjunct to sedation for surgery, can actually make it worse

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The ringing is phantom noise, it is generated because of damaged cells that are no longer able to react to certain frequencies but the nerves they used to feed still fire randomly. There is no actual noise that a hearing aid can pick up and amplify. That said, those cells still won't be able to respond to those frequencies so even the amplified output from a hearing aid will not completely wash out the ringing nor can you damp the 'sound' out via noise cancelling

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is some indication that using 50/50 nitrous/O2, for dental work or as an adjunct to sedation for surgery, can actually make it worse
    Thanks, that's helpful info.
    But I got to take a point away for not responding in all caps so that I could hear it.;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I DON'T THINK THAT WILL WORK!

My son has tinnitus. He just listens to air pods all the time to drown it out. He says most of the time he can ignore it.

I don't think the problem can be solved acoustically. It's my understanding that the ringing perception with tinnitus is not acoustic. It's along the nerve, and doesn't have a phase that can be canceled acoustically. I have heard of acoustic treatments which help some people temporarily. They use amplitude and frequency modulated sound for some period of time.

DID YOU CATCH ALL THAT?!

:):

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I can hear just fine in quiet surroundings. My hearing gets progressively worse as the background noise increases. At a busy steakhouse on any given weekend, my wife has to relay what the waitress is saying. She has repeatedly told me to get hearing aids. Honestly, I don't know anyone with $6,000 worth of crap to say. If it is that important, you'd better write it down. I can still read... with the one working eye I have left.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I found this on the topic of temporary relief using modulated sound. I don't know if these kinds of treatments are widely available, but I'd bet it's expensive if they are. And at best it's only temporary.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can hear just fine in quiet surroundings. My hearing gets progressively worse as the background noise increases. At a busy steakhouse on any given weekend, my wife has to relay what the waitress is saying. She has repeatedly told me to get hearing aids. Honestly, I don't know anyone with $6,000 worth of crap to say. If it is that important, you'd better write it down. I can still read... with the one working eye I have left.
    I don't know that much about them, but I've seen commercials for hearing aids that are much less costly than they used to be. Like maybe 500 bucks or less? Might be worth looking into.

While I was typing that out, I saw a commercial for these:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know that much about them, but I've seen commercials for hearing aids that are much less costly than they used to be. Like maybe 500 bucks or less? Might be worth looking into.

While I was typing that out, I saw a commercial for these:

Ooh. The one with the premium charging case is only $100 more.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’d take the behind the ear I think. I don’t really have high hearing loss. Pretty average for my age and surprising given the spl I’ve subjected them to over the years. Like others I do have a hard time hearing with a lot of background noise.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    The VA doc told me that Tinnitus and hearing loss are two different things.It is possible to have one without the other although rare. I have both. The VA put me in hearing aids 6 years ago. Can't stand to wear them in crowds like at church. To much background noise. The aids do nothing for my tinnitus. Guess I am just used to it after 30 years in the military. Aside from that they help.

Top Bottom