Has anyone done an AR-10 conversion (re-barrel) to 7mm-08 lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've been considering buying a mid-priced used AR-10 and trying this process. I'm asking 'lately' because when I searched existing threads, it hasn't been discussed for quite a while and conditions have changed

It seems like only a barrel swap would be required and if anyone has done this I would appreciate hearing about any discoveries or pitfalls along the way as well as if you know of any particularly effective choices for the donor rifle and selected components. Also interested in whether the magazines are really trouble free when used for the new caliber

Thanks in advance for any info

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been considering buying a mid-priced used AR-10 and trying this process. I'm asking 'lately' because when I searched existing threads, it hasn't been discussed for quite a while and conditions have changed

It seems like only a barrel swap would be required and if anyone has done this I would appreciate hearing about any discoveries or pitfalls along the way as well as if you know of any particularly effective choices for the donor rifle and selected components. Also interested in whether the magazines are really trouble free when used for the new caliber

Thanks in advance for any info
    Interested and here for learning purposes.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Considering it’s really just a 308 necked down to a 284 bullet I don’t see why you would have issues.

Imo it doesn’t gain enough in ballistics to make it advantageous over a 308 but you do you

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Considering it’s really just a 308 necked down to a 284 bullet I don’t see why you would have issues.

Imo it doesn’t gain enough in ballistics to make it advantageous over a 308 but you do you
    Quite a few barrel profiles to choose from as well as a feeding concern using the existing (7.62 x 51) mags. Follower change necessary?

Was looking for input from someone who has actually has experience for advice, but you do you, I guess

Looks to be cheaper and more versatile than getting a used R25 (and no godawful Mossy Oak to have to cerakote)

Thanks for playing

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Someone might be able to say different, but the pressures would be fine, as long as you have the right barrel. An adjustable gas block would be advisable. But I'll let others with experience inform you better.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I'll also do me and agree. Unless you already run the caliber in a bolt gun, have dies for reloading, etc. stick with .308.

But you do you too. Thats the great thing about these things. We can do what we want regardless of how silly it may seem to others. (preferrably without getting butthurt because somebody may have a differing opinion)

Reactions: RCB

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I'll also do me and agree. Unless you already run the caliber in a bolt gun, have dies for reloading, etc. stick with .308.

But you do you too. Thats the great thing about these things. We can do what we want regardless of how silly it may seem to others. (preferrably without getting butthurt because somebody may have a differing opinion)

Absolutely. I'm a fan of the 444 marlin.. .even though the 4570 with modern powders outshines it. I didn't know anything about the 7mm 08. Lots of off cartridges like that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Absolutely. I'm a fan of the 444 marlin.. .even though the 4570 with modern powders outshines it. I didn't know anything about the 7mm 08. Lots of off cartridges like that.
    Yep. When I mention I like 22 mag, I can’t tell you how many others have told me that the .17 is a superior rimfire round. Yeah, and?

Reactions: RCB

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Someone might be able to say different, but the pressures would be fine, as long as you have the right barrel. An adjustable gas block would be advisable. But I'll let others with experience inform you better.
    Thank you for the reply. I would like to run the used rifle a bit in 308 to make sure it has no existing issues and then make changes one at a time. So barrel only change first (it is my understanding BCG doesn't have to change because they're essentially the same case). Then depending on how that combo performs, address any gas system issues.

Things I'm hoping to find out would be if the mags will work well without a follower change, because that would immediately affect any other testing I do, and if there are some barrel contours that people who have been there think don't work as well as some others might (for example, only knowing what I know now I might tend to shy away from a lightweight or pencil barrel, but I don't know what I don't know, so that may be an unfounded concern with a normal shooting volume)

After adopting a good, accurate barrel I would then turn to fine tuning the gas system. The goal would be an unusual caliber semi-auto rifle that I could both shoot target and hunt with. I would reload specifically for that rifle also

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep. When I mention I like 22 mag, I can’t tell you how many others have told me that the .17 is a superior rimfire round. Yeah, and?
    I think it is worse if you start a thread asking for advice on a specific build and then people with nothing to offer but an opinion jump in to tell you what they would do, which has nothing to do with what you asked

But it is INGO, and all, so just grit teeth and scroll

Top Bottom