• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I'm looking at getting a hard rifle case for my Ruger RPR. I've seen some soft cases made by Savior that look pretty good. I've used them for other rifles, AR setups. I was seeing if anyone has experience good or bad with soft vs hard cases? Hard will obviously protect the weapon better but storage of it lugging it around and I'm not really going to be traveling to far. At least not by air or across any desert.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I have a Savior soft bag that I keep in the truck with my varmint / coyote AR in it. Seems very durable, only been in use about 6 months, good so far. My favorite hard case is the Pelican Vault, have a couple. Also a couple of Boyt, very solid w metal cam style latches. One Plano, probably a step down from the other 2 durability / protection wise. It does have the "pluck foam" you don't have to cut out with a knife. The Pelican and Boyt are a harder fiber type, the Plano is a more pliable plastic. Not cheapo feeling, but definitely lighter. And a couple of MTM, more on the economy end. The Pelicans and Boyts are definitely heavier to lug around. I don't travel much with any of them, to the range and back.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I have a couple Hogue extra large double rifle bags. Big enough to hold a shotgun, rifle, handguns and all mags for 3-Gun. They are almost 10 years old, they have been beaten and tossed around for years and look brand new.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I have both and do find it harder to transport a rifle hard case in a car because it's mych longer than a soft case. My hard case is also double sided so i can utilize wasted space of a case.(thickness, not length)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a few hard Pelicans and a Storm or two, they are heavy. Along with a few dozen different soft cases. I use the hard cases in the PU truck bed when using a truck and the cab is full of people. Otherwise in soft cases and inside of the truck.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Hard case for guns with nice scopes. Soft for quick range trips/iron sights/most competitions.

Be advised, as mentioned, hard cases can be hard to fit in some vehicles.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I keep my Browning 725 in a Pelican 1750 case to keep the grade AAAA Maple in pristine condition. Everything else gets a soft case, though I might get another 1750 for my AR since it has some very nice glass on it.

zfP18Zn.jpg

Fits a 30” gun perfectly and has room for a 32” if needed

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i have 2 or 3 hard cases, mainly just "el cheapo" stuff i bought years ago, and havnt even looked at them in at least 15 years
    i use padded soft cases for my long guns for competition. 2 tandemkross bags, for my M&P 15-22 and ruger PC9, a ruger bag for my 10-22, and a rangemax tactical type bag for my win1300.
    im kinda careful with my bags putting them in the back of my truck or in the toolbox.
    soft bags work much better for steel challenge/rimfire challenge/rimfire falling steel. i wouldnt want to be lugging around a heavy and bulky hard case around on the range all day long. i occasionally shoot 3 guns at a match.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have a few hard Pelicans and a Storm or two, they are heavy. Along with a few dozen different soft cases. I use the hard cases in the PU truck bed when using a truck and the cab is full of people. Otherwise in soft cases and inside of the truck.
    Depending on who the passenger is and what rifle I’m taking I’ve reversed that. :lmfao:

Top Bottom