• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This video from MrGunsngear does a good job of showing a woman's evaluation of what gun works for her. This boils down my own experience with the women in my life, and how they evaluated different firearms to find one that fits them and makes them more comfortable with gun ownership and carry.

What I've found when dealing with a lady who has never shot a handgun is you have to get something that fits their hand, and they like the looks of.
    Next they can't be afraid of it. Some are recoil sensitive, some are just scared to shoot a handgun.
    I usually pull out a variety handguns for them to test.
    22lr Rough Rider revolver, and Taurus TX22 pistol .
    38 Special Ruger LCRx snubnose so they know how it recoils.
    9mm Taurus G3X, CZ P10F, PSA Dagger FS, Canik TP9DA
    45acp Springfield Ronin 1911, Shield 45
    10mm RIA 1911
    44mag Taurus M44 6.5" barrel

I've found they stop after the 9mm, some have shot the 45acp but went back to 9mm or 22lr.
    I think I'd like to add a Ruger Security 380 to the mix for the ladies to try out. Maybe it would keep some from going back to the 22lr.
    Most like the 22lr, or 9mm.
    I don't recommend a 22lr but it's better than nothing. I also tell them to use a 40gr HV high quality nickel plated ammunition, or that new federal punch 22lr which I was impressed with the penetration, and it's supposed to have more reliable primer compound.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My wife shoots, and I cannot stress enough that she must go to the range and try out several guns. She needs to decide which gun she wants.

And expect more than one gun down the road. My wife quickly says she needs different holsters and pistols to accommodate different clothing choices.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems funny that law enforcement and military don't have separate pistols for their females?

Females in these agencies are required to carry the best pistol for the job, the best pistol for their self defense, correct?

:scratch:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Seems funny that law enforcement and military don't have separate pistols for their females?

Females in these agencies are required to carry the best pistol for the job, the best pistol for their self defense, correct?

:scratch:
    What do service pistols issued to police and military for open carry have to do with EDC options for women, who by and large do not want to open carry service sized pistols?

True4ever909

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2023
    fort wayne
    My daughter in law was a first time shooter of handguns. I let her shoot my 22lr, 38 Special, 9mm. She is very recoil sensitive person.
    She wanted the 22lr. I took her to the gunshop she handled several. She ended up buying a Ruger LCP II 22lr.
    She has shot it several thousand rds and feels like she's ready to go up to a 380acp. I told her to get the new Ruger Security 380 with the 15rd magazine.
    Reason for that is because she's recoil sensitive and a smaller 380acp has pretty stout recoil.

View attachment 294511
    View attachment 294512
    Roger security 380 is a great women cc gun also a M&,P bodyshield

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Yes I am wondering what people’s thoughts and opinions on a good revolver to get a lady? I’m leaning towards a 357 THAT I ALWAYS WANTED with 3 inch bbl so that way she can shoot and practice 95% with 38 special and carry 357?
    FIFY This ^^^^^! BUT you need to add that if she doesn’t like it you will take it and take her to a gun dealer to try out several guns until she finds one she likes.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yes I am wondering what people’s thoughts and opinions on a good revolver to get a lady? I’m leaning towards a 357 with 3 inch bbl so that way she can shoot and practice 95% with 38 special and carry 357?
    Lot of thoughts here....
    What is this lady's experience with handguns?
    What is this lady's capabilities with handguns?
    What is this lady's desire(s) when it comes to a handgun?
    If a basic beginner...a good .22lr pistol is often the best choice because,
    a) It has little felt recoil and tends to be accurate, increasing the ability to have success early!
    b) All basic shooting and safety skills can be learned using a .22lr pistol / revolver!
    c) Down the road, a .22lr pistol / revolver can be used for skill maintenance, relatively inexpensively.
    My experience with women is that determining an appropriate platform (pistol / revolver) that is comfortable for 'her' is best left to 'her'...let her make the choice as to make / model / grip comfort!
    Suggestion...allow her to shoot as many different pistols and/or revolvers as possible, in .22lr, .22 WMR, .380 acp, 9mm, and .38 special and see what she likes best!
    The best thing about revolvers, nowadays, is that there are so many aftermarket grip options that revolvers can be made to 'fit' just about anyone's grip size comfortably!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom