• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Are there any organizations in IN that offer any kind of fundamentals courses for managing and handling a handgun?

Is there a not-for-profit organization for handguns that offers a course similar to what ABATE offers for riding motorcycles? (e.g. a Fri night/Sat/Sun class).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In southern Indiana Columbus PD offers an 8 hour gun safety course. They do an excellent job. At that time they charged $25 per head. I spoke with the Seymour Chief of Police recently and he mentioned that Seymour was wanting to start a program again. Don't know about the cost on Seymour. A group of us host NRA Basic Pistol at Sand Creek Conservation Club. Cost is $75 per person with group discounts available.

ACT has some very reasonably priced courses.

NSSF has a FIRST shots program. I sent off for materials and I see that it is only available to be offered by NSSF affiliated ranges.

I am not aware of any free of not-for-profit training. Unfortunately materials, range fees/dues, and liability insurance cost money. For what it is worth I am currently operating a less then profit organization and I still charge for services.

OP if you tell us what you needs are maybe we can direct you in the right direction. My initial reaction would be for you to find a local trainer and work with them one on one for part of a day.

Sticks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    NE Indy

rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I am not aware of any free of not-for-profit training. Unfortunately materials, range fees/dues, and liability insurance cost money. For what it is worth I am currently operating a less then profit organization and I still charge for services.

OP if you tell us what you needs are maybe we can direct you in the right direction. My initial reaction would be for you to find a local trainer and work with them one on one for part of a day.

Thank you! I shouldn't have assumed. I used the ABATE example for a few reasons. One because the course is not free. I would expext to pay for a course. My bad.

Thank you though. I will check out the info you gave. This is good info.

The ABATE motorcycle safety course (no I am not a member, just using the example) is a Friday night, Sat., Sun affair where a rider has some classroom time for basic safety instructions on Fri. night. Then the riders get on the bikes on Sat. & Sun.

I have used long guns for almost 30 years. But only 1 hour total to date with a handgun. Just looking for a good fundamentals course. I have had zero instruction for a side arm. (Honestly though, I used long guns for 22 years before I ever had any training at all). I could get by. But it would be cool to get some "handgun coaching." Having an instructor on the spot that could help me with "form" and execution would be good. Maybe something similar to range time in BCT in the Army (minus all the yelling and the pushups :):)

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok. Your best bet would probably be a private session with a trainer. There are no lack of qualified people in Indiana. Just depends on your location.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If cost is your primary concern, I'd go to the range with you and tell you what I think. It wont cost you anything but ammo. I am not a professional trainer. I just like going to the classes and the range.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If cost is your primary concern, I'd go to the range with you and tell you what I think. It wont cost you anything but ammo. I am not a professional trainer. I just like going to the classes and the range.

That is a pretty solid offer right there OP.

Or head down to Freetown for USPSA the first Sunday of the month. Good bet somebody would help you out.

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    I am also looking for something in Central to NWI. I see that Kodiak in SB has several classes but their schedule does not work with my work schedule.
    Any other ideas?

Top Bottom