[Gunsmithing]Has anyone built their own firearm from scratch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Like the title asks, I'm curious if anyone here has scratch-built a firearm. I'm not talking about zipguns or buying a bag of parts.

I have had a project in mind on the back burner for a year or so now. A 22LR single shot pistol. The only thing that I'll end up having to buy will be a length of barrel, as the only thing I don't have access to would be a gun-drill or rifling setup. Everything else can be fabbed at work without too much trouble.

And, when/if I get started, I'll make sure there's plenty of in-progress pictures for ya'll to make fun of. :)

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I build custom flintlock Pennsylvania long rifles. They are a mix of store bought and hand fabricated parts. That's as close as I've come. Can still end up with 60-70 hours in one of these builds fairly quickly.
    Keep us posted. I am eager to see what you come up with. :)

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    This should help with your question . Many on this site have.
    HomeGunsmith.com Welcome
    look at all the headings and enjoy
    I Love this site! It's inspiring!

I havn't built my own, maybe someday. It'd be pretty crude, but i guess i could always try-try again!

I think my first attempt, atleast, would be a hybrid of parts loosly assembled to look a gun. Just make the chassis for factory parts.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't you need a license to manufacture a firearm? Anyways, good luck. An international free pistol would be a great single-shot .22 LR project.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Don't you need a license to manufacture a firearm? Anyways, good luck. An international free pistol would be a great single-shot .22 LR project.

If you are manufacturing firearms for sale, then yes. You need their permission.

If you are making one for yourself, then no, there is no restriction (or limit!) other then comply with current NFA laws (No silencer, machine gun, etc without stamps)

apfroggy0408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Franklin
    I've been thinking about this too but would like to do it in my garage. Could you get away with just a drill press or would a mill be a better option?

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I've been thinking about this too but would like to do it in my garage. Could you get away with just a drill press or would a mill be a better option?

You can do it with nothing but a file and a hand drill. It just depends on how determined you are. :)

The plans I have are from 1944, and suggested tooling is a file, a vice, hack-saw, and a wood chisel. Naturally, I'll be using more modern machinery, but no CNC. That's just cheating. :)

mikem1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    not going to tell but I watch all the build your own gun videos on U-TUBE and I will watch yours . can't wait.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if anything came from this. I've been kicking around the idea of a single shot .22 pistol that would still be small enough for a holster.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Not yet. We've been swamped at work this year and I've not even had a chance to finish the prints yet. :(

Although.. I do seem to have some free time today. Maybe I'll drag the prints back out and get a little work done on them.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Not yet. We've been swamped at work this year and I've not even had a chance to finish the prints yet. :(

Although.. I do seem to have some free time today. Maybe I'll drag the prints back out and get a little work done on them.

Be sure keep us (or at least me:D) updated on this. I'm very interested in this, and have been brainstorming ideas for one for quite some time lately.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I've been sketching out plans for a single shot bolt action .22 but havent got around to building it with all the black powder work I've been doing.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have thought about doing a 22lr single shot bolt action. I have a old 10-22 barrel to start with. It's on the bucket list! Weaponsguild.com has a great scrap yard builds section that I got a lot of great ideals from. Let's see some creativity people! If and when I do one I will document and post!

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've got a couple spare 10/22 barrels as well, and all kinds of 4" sections of barrel from cutting 20" barrels to 16". I've got a savage mk ii action that I'd love to use, but as far as I know, it's still illegal to take a long gun to a pistol with an SBR/aow stamp. A chopped down savage rascal or T/C hot shot would be perfect for what I want.

What are the chances savage would sell a virgin receiver from a rascal or mk ii?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've got a couple spare 10/22 barrels as well, and all kinds of 4" sections of barrel from cutting 20" barrels to 16". I've got a savage mk ii action that I'd love to use, but as far as I know, it's still illegal to take a long gun to a pistol with an SBR/aow stamp. A chopped down savage rascal or T/C hot shot would be perfect for what I want.

What are the chances savage would sell a virgin receiver from a rascal or mk ii?

You could call but I doubt it. They would have to have the receiver approved by the BATF as a pistol. The SBR route is not that difficult. Eventually I am going to do that with one of my 10-22's and Sten's.

Top Bottom