[Gunsmithing]Has anyone built their own firearm from scratch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I know the SBR is easy, I've got an AR I form 1'd. But I'm wanting something a can holster and carry as a sidearm for silent squirrel shooting while I'm hunting. You can't carry a 22 rifle along with your deer hunting equipment, but I could carry a suppressed 22 pistol and shoot squirrels while I'm waiting for a deer. I want a single shot or bolt action so there's no action noise, and I want it to fit in nothing bigger than a drop leg holster. The only other thing I can come up with is to weight down my 22/45 bolt to the point that its too heavy to cycle.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sounds like you might want to check out a Mare's Leg. They make them in 22. Although not nearly as fun as making your own!

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    You know, I hadn't even thought about that. Wonder if I could cut the barrel/mag tube down a little shorter and thread it. I would like to build one though. Decisions, decisions...

sorry for basically taking every bit of this thread to a whole nother topic.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yes you can! It's a pistol! there is a Hickock45 video of him shooting a suppressed Mare's Leg. Hopefully the OP's is ok with the thread jack!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The only other thing I can come up with is to weight down my 22/45 bolt to the point that its too heavy to cycle.
    I don't know how well that would work if it's complete silence you're going for. There is a company (cannot recall at the moment) that modifies 22/45 bolts to be "lockable". The "lock" is some sort of lever you flip on the back of the bolt. I've only ever seen pictures of them and IIRC the modification is rather expensive $200+... but just a thought.

Top Bottom