• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here's a 1991 Compact I've been messing with. I installed an S&A beavertail (looks as seamless in person as in the pics) I had in my parts bin, installed a set of night sights (thanks to CCF for cutting the front dovetail in record time), did what I could with the stock hammer and sear for a decent trigger pull, hand beveled the mag well, serrated the rear of the slide, flaired the ejection port, dehorned the entire pistol, readjusted the ambi-safety, polished the extractor, and a few other odds and ends. Thanks to Hoosier Gun Coat for the graphite black cerakote. Sorry for the bad pics, pistol looks 10x better in person.

011_zps2b16aa45.jpg

012_zpsba2ff377.jpg

013_zps4ff0ad67.jpg

014_zpsc7592fc8.jpg

015_zps9d251ad8.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just got it together, i'll try it out in a day or two and break it in.

Keep us posted!

Another question ... is the grip safety pinned, or do you have it depressed some other way to show us how nicely it is contoured to the frame?

This gun reminds me of my 1991 Commander.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Keep us posted!

Another question ... is the grip safety pinned, or do you have it depressed some other way to show us how nicely it is contoured to the frame?

This gun reminds me of my 1991 Commander.

GS's not pinned it's just an older very low profile S&A, it looks more depressed in the pictures than it really is. I actually took some off the top of the mainspring housing and the bottom notch of the GS to make it "stick out" more because it just didn't look right to me either. Everything works as it should.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    GS's not pinned it's just an older very low profile S&A, it looks more depressed in the pictures than it really is. I actually took some off the top of the mainspring housing and the bottom notch of the GS to make it "stick out" more because it just didn't look right to me either. Everything works as it should.

Okay, that makes sense. My Commander has an older Ed Brown grip safety on it, and it's similar (no memory groove/bump).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Cool! Does it go "bang!" each time?

Yes it does. The first time I fired it it had a few failure to extracts and the tension wasn't too bad but I tweaked it a little bit tighter. The bigger problem was the recoil spring. The spring in it was about 2/3rds the length of a standard spring, very worn out. The slide was probably cycling way too fast. Quick extractor tension adjustment plus new stout spring and no more issues.

Top Bottom