• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's a "good" piece of news for train riders, I guess. You are going to be allowed to carry your firearm onboard trains pretty much the same way you can onboard airplanes.

via Security Info Watch

Under language inserted into a transportation funding bill last year, Amtrak passengers will be allowed to carry firearms in checked luggage beginning in December.
    Though the provision was thought to expire later this year, the Government Accountability Office recently held that the legislation is permanent law.
    According to the provision, firearms and ammunition may be transported in secure baggage onboard Amtrak trains under several guidelines including:
    - Passengers must declare to Amtrak within 24-hours of departure that the firearm will be placed in their checked baggage.
    - The gun must not be loaded and must also be carried in a hard-sided container.
    - The hard-sided container must be locked with only the passenger having the combination or key for the container.
    In a statement issued earlier this month, Senator Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), who was responsible for creating the provision, said that the law protects Americans’ Second Amendment rights.
    "I am glad that Amtrak met its statutorily required deadline and is on track to implement the checked firearms program by December. Soon, train passengers will have the same right as air travelers to securely transport firearms in checked baggage," he said.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm a little confused... Why would there be a restriction preventing carry on your person? What's someone going to do, trainjack Amtrak to Cuba? There's only so much control an engineer has over his train, that being how fast it travels. Which direction is controlled from trackside, and IIRC, if it stops, SOMEone's going to see it on GPS.

Oh, that's right... it's somehow their responsibility to protect us. :rolleyes:

Thanks, no, I'd prefer to protect myself.

Blessings,
    Bill

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I have ridden the Amtrak. It is an experience to remember. A keen reader would note that I did not necessarily say it is a good experience to remember.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I'm a little confused... Why would there be a restriction preventing carry on your person? What's someone going to do, trainjack Amtrak to Cuba? There's only so much control an engineer has over his train, that being how fast it travels. Which direction is controlled from trackside, and IIRC, if it stops, SOMEone's going to see it on GPS.

Oh, that's right... it's somehow their responsibility to protect us. :rolleyes:

Thanks, no, I'd prefer to protect myself.

Blessings,
    Bill
    The one Amtrak I ever rode on was 8 hours late to my stop. That's because someone loaded dead trees on the track in Utah to attempt a derailment and they had to get a new engine out to it before it could proceed to my destination. While I was riding, another derailment was attempted in Nebraska but the engineer saw it in time and stopped us in the middle of nowhere for many hours while the situation was taken care of.

I have many more stories of that fateful Amtrak trip from Colorado to Indiana.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The one Amtrak I ever rode on was 8 hours late to my stop. That's because someone loaded dead trees on the track in Utah to attempt a derailment and they had to get a new engine out to it before it could proceed to my destination. While I was riding, another derailment was attempted in Nebraska but the engineer saw it in time and stopped us in the middle of nowhere for many hours while the situation was taken care of.

I have many more stories of that fateful Amtrak trip from Colorado to Indiana.

CO to IN by way of UT? Hmmmm, I'll pass.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Do you ever fly commercial?

Not often, and I don't like it much when I do. Typically, it's for things like weddings and funerals.

I understand your point. I also understand that the freakazoids can't grasp the concept of armed citizens carrying for no other purpose than self defense and how they can show how planes have been hijacked in the past and forced to fly to other destinations than intended.

Really, though, what's the point in hijacking a train? Can't redirect the rails to drive it into a building (other than a station, i.e. Grand Central), can't force the engineer to take it to Cuba (a little wet over that 90 miles, and there are no tracks), and GPS in case someone stops it to rob and/or kill everyone. It's as stupid as any other "gun free zone" with the exception of a penal facility.

Blessings,
    Bill

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Sounds like they are finally taking security more seriously via rail. I have not traveled by rail in almost 15 yrs.
    Security is having my wife and I both carrying, not a poor .GOV rule dragged over to another transportaion system.

The metal detectors are easy to get around, they are a "feel-good" tactic.

I go aroung them, and the one in St Louis is set so high off the ground that when you slightly drag your feet, it doesn't catch the revolver in your ankle holster.

I'm traveling with 4 kids, safety first.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The reason aircraft got hijacked was to get to friendly airspace. If your goal is something other than getting somewhere "friendly", sneaking weapons on a train is a great way to have a captive audience for your atrocity-of-the-week.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Security is having my wife and I both carrying, not a poor .GOV rule dragged over to another transportaion system.

The metal detectors are easy to get around, they are a "feel-good" tactic.

I go aroung them, and the one in St Louis is set so high off the ground that when you slightly drag your feet, it doesn't catch the revolver in your ankle holster.

I'm traveling with 4 kids, safety first.

Point taken...the reason I stated that was because the railways had nothing for combating terrorism in the past. So metal detectors are a step up, albeit not a perfect one.

As you point out, they are not as effective as they could be and they are not the best solution. To me a train full of armed citizens and screening devices along with behavioral profiling is the best solution. However, since very few use the train to travel in America, and we have been subsidizing Amtrak for at least a couple of decades, I doubt anymore measures will be put in place due to costs. We have too many dip****s in Congress to ever let carry on trains and planes occur once again, and that would be a FREE solution.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Really, though, what's the point in hijacking a train?

This documentary should provide the answers you seek:

2m3sol5.jpg

Under Siege 2 :):

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    OK, what did I miss? The ruling allows firearms to be in "checked" baggage.

It isn't about the Feds allowing you to carry it on your person or carry on bags, right?

I carried on my person went I went from Waterloo, IN to NC no matter what their silly rules are.......

Top Bottom