• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Only daycares that are REQUIRED to be licensed by the state fall under of school property. Church daycares are specifically exempted. A church daycare is not a school under Indiana law. An actual school or preschool is still a school, church or not.
    Ind. Code § 35-41-1-24.7 : Indiana Code - Section 35-41-1-24.7: "School property" defined

IC 31-27-2-7
    Child caring institutions and group homes operated by churches and religious ministries
    Sec. 7. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c), the department shall exempt from licensure a child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry that is a religious organization exempt from federal income taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (as defined in IC 6-3-1-11) and that does not:
    (1) accept for care:
    (A) a child who is a delinquent child under IC 31-37-1-1 or IC 31-37-2-1; or
    (B) a child who is a child in need of services under IC 31-34-1-1 through IC 31-34-1-9; or
    (2) operate a residential facility that provides child care on a twenty-four (24) hour basis for profit.
    (b) The department shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to govern the inspection of a child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry with regard to sanitation.
    (c) The fire prevention and building safety commission shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to govern the inspection of a child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry under this section. The rules must provide standards for fire alarms and fire drills.
    (d) A child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry under this section shall comply with the rules established by the department and the fire prevention and building safety commission under this section.
    As added by P.L.145-2006, SEC.273.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So it passed? Just waiting on a signature from the Gov?

If every INGO member emails our governor, he will be hard pressed not to sign the bill into law.

Governor Pence contact

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

If every INGO member emails our governor, he will be hard pressed not to sign the bill into law.

Governor Pence contact

Yes, SB229 passed both the house and senate late last night. Gov. Pence is expected to sign it. Please see this forum for much more information on this bill and other pending legislation:
    The Legislation of the 2nd Amendment

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.

Governor Pence contact

Considering that Governor Pence will be one of the speakers at the NRA convention in about a month I can see him signing SB229 either at or just before the event. The 2016 presidential election is only about a year and a half away.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Considering that Governor Pence will be one of the speakers at the NRA convention in about a month I can see him signing SB229 either at or just before the event. The 2016 presidential election is only about a year and a half away.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Indiana law requires the Governor to either sign or veto legislation within either 7 or 14 days from when it was passed by the General Assembly. If it is not signed in that timeframe it automatically becomes law. If it is veto'd it would go back to the Senate in 2015.

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    How would the big indoor sports complexes calculate in this? Some of them have camp programs at certain times of the year or during holidays.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Only daycares that are REQUIRED to be licensed by the state fall under of school property. Church daycares are specifically exempted. A church daycare is not a school under Indiana law. An actual school or preschool is still a school, church or not.
    Ind. Code § 35-41-1-24.7 : Indiana Code - Section 35-41-1-24.7: "School property" definedSEC.273.

Are you saying that NO church daycares are considered "schools" under IC? If so, then carrying IN church would be ok.

My church has a preschool Monday through Friday, plus Sunday. Are you SURE that doesn't fall under the IC definition of a school?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Are you saying that NO church daycares are considered "schools" under IC? If so, then carrying IN church would be ok.

My church has a preschool Monday through Friday, plus Sunday. Are you SURE that doesn't fall under the IC definition of a school?

I'd be careful with that one. A preschool is really more than a daycare. If unsure of the law's definition of it, I'd err on the side of caution until this thing is signed.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

A preschool is certainly considered a school, a daycare may or may not be.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How would the big indoor sports complexes calculate in this? Some of them have camp programs at certain times of the year or during holidays.
    I would say, that would be similar to a school function. If they lock down the entire complex for the use of the camp program, then manifestly, they can prevent lawful carry around the tiny tots. If the rest of the complex not being used for the camp program is open to the public, then lawful carry would be just as legal any other time. A camp program is not a day care service. Day care service envisions long-term, daily repetitive child care, not a week or two of activities in a year. And remember, it doesn't even matter if it is a daycare or not, licensed or not. What matters is if it's the kind of daycare the law requires to be licensed. I doubt very much if any such camp programs at various stadia across the state are required by any clause of law to be licensed as child care providers.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    SB229 removes the roving school zone. Big indoor sports complexes will never suddenly become a school zone.

Top Bottom