• ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Indiana chamber concerned about gun bill - 13 WTHR - Indianapolis News |

"Indianapolis - The Indiana Chamber of Commerce says an office shooting in Portage shows why Gov. Mitch Daniels should veto a bill that would allow workers to keep firearms locked in their vehicles in trunks or out of sight while parked on company property.
    Police say 60-year-old Edgar Tillery of Portage became upset during his job review Friday, then retrieved a shotgun from his car that he fired twice at a state Department of Workforce Development office. He faces a charge of attempted murder, although no one was hurt.
    Chamber President Kevin Brinegar says the shooting "is further evidence that guns and the workplace simply don't mix."
    The chamber is urging business leaders to voice their opposition to Daniels.
    Brinegar predicts court challenges based on property rights if the bill becomes law.
    (Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My comments presently await moderator approval:
    Bill of Rights said:
    "The Indiana Chamber of Commerce says an office shooting in Portage shows why Gov. Mitch Daniels should veto a bill that would allow workers to keep firearms locked in their vehicles in trunks or out of sight while parked on company property."

Right, because if it's against the law to have guns in the cars in the parking lot, this could never happen, so the governor shouldn't sign the bill making this legal... oh wait.... (more to follow)

(Continued from first post)
    <sarcasm off>
    I don't like cigarette smoke when I'm trying to eat a meal, but I also don't like government imposed smoking bans. I'd prefer a business owner forbid smoking in his restaurant himself, without the law forcing him to do so. Similarly, I'd like business owners to see that by ensuring that the shooter in Portage was the only one present with a firearm, they made their business less safe, not more so. I favor more people being armed. I do not favor laws requiring it.

To Mr. Brinegar, I would ask: Guns and the workplace don't mix? Why not? Did the rule forbidding guns there provide any safety from the criminal's action?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Even in the face of this fresh evidence that the negligent policies of turning their workplaces into victim disarmament zones create a danger to their employees, the businesses in the chamber still speak out in support of continuing their practice of placing their employees at risk. "Disgusting" is too weak a word.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    If someone want's to engage in work place violence is it that much harder to just go home and get your gun and go back? Most people don't cool off that quick.......

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I hereby demand that the Chamber of Commerce call for every police department in this state disarming at once!

Unfortunately there are a lot of people in this country that agree with that line of thought. I know you are being sarcastic but I have actually heard people say that and be sincere about it. I don't want to see harm come to anyone but I wonder how many of those people wouldn't shoot a burlgar that was trying to hurt their child.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Don't these idiots realize that a stupid law isn't going to prevent a nutjob from shooting the place up!

You don't see guys planning a mass murder saying " I can't wait until my permit gets in so I can shoot those mofo's up!"

Or, "Damn, if only I could keep a gun in my car, so I could shoot the place up". Give me a flipping break!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    great post. your right theres probly as many police that have went postal as citizens. people are people and they will do what ever is inside of them no matter what job they have

Speaking of postal. Look at shootings at post offices... certainly there have never been shootings there... right? They don't allow guns there so it would be impossible...:dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So what would be different in this scenario if the law had passed a year ago?

I don't see a single difference if it was legal and every employee in the place had the gun of their choice out in the trunk or under the seat or if the law doesn't change and he was the only one on the property who had a gun.

I heard even a gun in your pocket is no more than a brick if it's got a full magazine but not one in the chamber.

I heard a full loaded 45 with a 50 round magazine AND ONE IN THE CHAMBER is less useful than a brick if you leave it in the glove box instead of strapped to your hip in a drop holster.

... but then I heard of a horse fly and buffalo wings too.

Last edited:

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hmmm seems to me that the guy in this story was already not aloud to have a firearm in his car.

So how did the shooting happen again? He did not bring his shotgun to work and leave it in the car, they told him he could not do that Right?

Law or no Law criminals will still do whatever they like.

Law abiding citizens will abide by the laws, falling victims of criminals or be forced to (become criminals) break laws that put them and their families at risk.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    A stupid law like that will not be obeyed by the crazy people in this world. If a person is intent on doing harm...a law won't stop them.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The guy obviously had a history of workplace problems, probably borderline psycho, he thought ahead enough to bring his shotgun to work that day knowing his eval was going to occur and probably smart enough to know it would suck and crazy enough to "solve" the problem his way. None of it matters though because his actions are an indictment of ALL gunowners. Nobody will notice or care about any of the existing laws or workplace rules he violated, only that he used a gun that he had in his car. You cannot hold an intelligent debate with someone that has a closed mind!

Top Bottom