• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Given the replies I skimmed here, I'm going to guess my opinion on this may be unpopular but here goes...

Everything everyone has said about your rights, your freedom, and your property is spot on. However... You're violating the gray man philosophy by advertising any opinion publicly to anyone. This sort of thing is exactly why I don't have flags, bumper stickers (except one, ever), etc. I live my life by my actions and have supported police and military charities in the past. I'm a proud freedom loving American and vote pro-freedom as much as there are candidates worthy of supporting. I don't need to fly flags to try to sway others to my opinion or, and I hate to put it this way but that's the way I see it, virtue signal to others that already share my views.

Putting up signs in front of your house that basically scream "I have guns and training" makes you a target for the element you specifically don't want to attract, and I dare say, you're intentionally try to avoid by living where you do. Those of us already on your side aren't the type to come cause you problems and you likely already know where your other neighbors stand if you've got a shooting range on your property.

Since the flags are already up there's no way I'd take them down on account of the snowflakes up the road, but perhaps this is a topic for deeper thought for some folks before they hang their own. Again, I'm absolutely not saying you did anything wrong in a polite society, but we don't have a polite society anymore.

PS - If anyone happens to be unfamiliar with the gray man philosophy, the idea is that you want to be a blur in the memories of other people by doing nothing that makes you stand out in any way. The general idea is that the less strangers know about you, the better off you are. Your friends already know how to find you if you want to be found and people that aren't your friends (such as the morons up the street) don't need to find you.

Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to chastise you or anyone else by sharing it.

I can see where you are going with the Gray Man theory of operation. However there are obvious indicators present already, Understanding that we take several measures to discourage uninvited visitors. None of which are uncommon for the area. ie a strand of hot wire at the first fence line. A second row of fencing across the frontage of the road( It keeps the Goats out of the fruit trees and black berries) so to see it you would not think anything of it. Next we have automatic gate opener which would take some doing to get open. Plus when we are not home Jack and Otis have the run of the front. Otis is 140 Pounds of Great Pyrenees who is very well trained and neither like strangers.

I agree with the theory and try to use as much has I can. Unfortunately when you are already taller than average you tend to stand out a bit, not a whole lot you can do about that, but I do not have any personalized stickers on our personal vehicles, other than AG plates which again are pretty common around here.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Maybe you need to put flag poles closer to the road so they can get a better view of your flags.

Too much expense for that lol. Kind of made the people mad down the road, they have the I am house poor starter Model and everything has to be just so, ie you need to spend 3K on a mail box. So when we moved in I spent a good chunk like $300.00 for a nice mail box post, etc. This was before I realized that on a very regular basis it gets hit by some fool who thinks the little sign that says dangerous curve 15mph is not for them. So now the battered mail box sits on a little metal clip on a T post which has only been hit a few times. Each time pound it back in and move on.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I can see where you are going with the Gray Man theory of operation. However there are obvious indicators present already, Understanding that we take several measures to discourage uninvited visitors. None of which are uncommon for the area. ie a strand of hot wire at the first fence line. A second row of fencing across the frontage of the road( It keeps the Goats out of the fruit trees and black berries) so to see it you would not think anything of it. Next we have automatic gate opener which would take some doing to get open. Plus when we are not home Jack and Otis have the run of the front. Otis is 140 Pounds of Great Pyrenees who is very well trained and neither like strangers.

I agree with the theory and try to use as much has I can. Unfortunately when you are already taller than average you tend to stand out a bit, not a whole lot you can do about that, but I do not have any personalized stickers on our personal vehicles, other than AG plates which again are pretty common around here.

From what you're describing, you have a fence to keep animals in. I don't know anything about you or your political affiliation by seeing that. Your Ag plates actually help that argument. Even if you're out back shooting, you could be one of those insane terrorist F's that thinks they're going to bring an armed conflict to the US. Frankly, if I hear someone out shooting, that's a sign for me to stay away, friend or foe because I simply don't know and frankly don't want to. I'm gray.

I'm also 6'4" and a pretty big guy in general. You'd be surprised how frequently I accidentally startle people at places like the grocery store because I've learned how not to draw attention to myself any more so than necessary. I wear plain clothes, darker colors mostly, walk softly, keep my mouth shut, etc. If I can walk around with a full frame steel .45 while wearing steel toes 99% of the time and accidentally sneak up on people in public, you can for sure blend in at home where you have total control of your surroundings.

I'll say it again that I'm not trying to chastise you with my opinions. You're not doing anything wrong or being unreasonable. It's the world that has become unreasonable around you.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Can I just say that the license plate is White with Black letters. Sometimes I wish I had alter ego free to post on Facebook and other social media venues. I try to be very careful when commenting on topics and venues.

What does that mean? Not familiar with Tennessee license plates. White with black letters in Indiana is a truck or trailer plate.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    What does that mean? Not familiar with Tennessee license plates. White with black letters in Indiana is a truck or trailer plate.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Reading the posts you will see mention of personal vehicles. So I'm gonna say the SUV is work related. :dunno:

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I think the malfunctioning in your thinking is that you don't realize the sides were already chosen and the fighting has already begun.

Territory has been lost and occupied. People have been murdered. Shots have been fired. Cities have been destroyed.
    No malfunction here. This situation is very much in flux. Many people do not know what they should know about this.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    From what you're describing, you have a fence to keep animals in. I don't know anything about you or your political affiliation by seeing that. Your Ag plates actually help that argument. Even if you're out back shooting, you could be one of those insane terrorist F's that thinks they're going to bring an armed conflict to the US. Frankly, if I hear someone out shooting, that's a sign for me to stay away, friend or foe because I simply don't know and frankly don't want to. I'm gray.

I'm also 6'4" and a pretty big guy in general. You'd be surprised how frequently I accidentally startle people at places like the grocery store because I've learned how not to draw attention to myself any more so than necessary. I wear plain clothes, darker colors mostly, walk softly, keep my mouth shut, etc. If I can walk around with a full frame steel .45 while wearing steel toes 99% of the time and accidentally sneak up on people in public, you can for sure blend in at home where you have total control of your surroundings.

I'll say it again that I'm not trying to chastise you with my opinions. You're not doing anything wrong or being unreasonable. It's the world that has become unreasonable around you.

yes we have Livestock, and a Grove out front, with various fruit, nut trees, and Black Berries, so it makes sense to have a second layer of fence so the goats do not consume our hard work. It also serves to make access more difficult. I am pretty low key, although some times you have to stand for something and it will be a sad day when I allow those of opposing views and lunacy to dictate my actions. Politically speaking I am more of a libertarian more than anything.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Old Glory of course has the position of honor to the right of the other flags. I'd say USMC next. Is it Molon Labe next since Thermopylae was 480BC? Then is it Jolly Roger then Gadsden followed by Blue Lives Matter?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    We have had cameras for a while now. I got a clean shot of the driver and their Plate, they have been here about a month, so I am fairly sure they don’t pay a lot of attention to vehicles in our drive.

And they were in your mailbox? I'm pretty sure that's a federal crime.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    WtJeL2I.jpg
    Dang I cant rep you again yet. This meme is PERFECT!!!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    While I agree that you could just ignore those people, I don't think it's a good idea to escalate the situation by adding more potentially offensive flags.

I would try to talk to those people instead (if they are reasonable) to educate them.
    Do they even know that one of the flag is a USMC flag?
    Do they know about the history of the Marine Corps? :dunno:

I assume the OP is a veteran.Maybe introduce yourself and tell them about your past in the military.
    Explain how their right to be offended by a flag is protected by the military and by the police.
    The same people represented by those "offensive" flags of yours.

Living in France the USMC flag is a symbol of freedom, it has been for both world wars.
    If my neighbor flew the USMC flag I would want to meet him to hear some good stories, maybe drop a "thank you for your service" card in their mailbox. :dunno:

Maybe im too naive but I think you should fight their ignorance with some education. :twocents:

belleau-wood-1914.jpg__400x526_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg
    Marines & SEALs always have the best propaganda :):

Yes sylvain you are probably the voice of reason here. But MOST of these people are NUTS and there is no rational discussion with them. They do not have open minds and start screaming.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have had cameras for a while now. I got a clean shot of the driver and their Plate, they have been here about a month, so I am fairly sure they don’t pay a lot of attention to vehicles in our drive.

I’m kind of late to this discussion so please excuse me if what I’m about to suggest has already been considered. If you’re a confrontational type, you might consider printing that out, going to their house, maybe with a loaf of homemade banana bread (to be neighborly and all), showing it to them and asking them if they want to discuss this man to man. Otherwise, you’ll be keeping this photo/screen shot and their letter as evidence, notify them your place is monitored, and any further acts of vandalism would be turned over to the sheriff.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Received a note in my mailbox today, while we are new to the area... we would appreciate it it if you took down some of your flags we find your Blue Lives matter and United States Marines Flags to be offensive.

Guess I am not sure how to address this other than to ignore it. Of course part of me is thinking of putting up a Don’t tread on me flag!

Skimmed back through this thread. Just because it isn't mentioned in the letter, why are we assuming that they don't find Old Glory offensive, too? I can't see how someone could find the USMC flag offensive unless they were ashamed of their country and its armed forces

I'm guessing 3 for 3

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Skimmed the thread. Basically, no need to respond. If one feels the need to respond to every instance of ignorance, stupidity, etc then you'll never be able to rest. They overstepped their bounds, but them doing so has no effect and doesn't infringe unless you allow it to in this situation. There is a saying that if you argue with an idiot they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience (at being an idiot).

I'd feel no need to respond, but would keep the note, the video capture, etc in case there was some ramp up in activity, etc and then you have it as a trail.

I wouldn't dignify their assertion that their "right to not be offended" overcomes your right to display whatever flag you choose on your property with any response. There's just no need. I experience much stupidity every day and feel no need to respond to the bulk of it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom