• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The media never refers to good guys with a fireman as "shooters" or "gunmen" so those terms have become synonymous with bad guys with a gun.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The media never refers to good guys with a fireman as "shooters" or "gunmen" so those terms have become synonymous with bad guys with a gun.
    In many cases the media can’t say murderer or killer until it has been confirmed in court. So that’s likely why shooter or softer language is used by the media.

News organizations get sued quickly ya know…

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    In many cases the media can’t say murderer or killer until it has been confirmed in court. So that’s likely why shooter or softer language is used by the media.

Well I just think a lot of people get hung up on the use of that terminology as being a reflection on good guys with firearms when those terms are primarily used to describe a criminal actor with a firearm in such a way. Those terms are synonymous with bad guys not good guys and I really don't see there is any evidence that the general public conflates the two.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    "Shooter" is morally neutral, because shooting is morally neutral. It is the purpose/intent behind the action that ascribes a moral aspect to the action. One shooter that day was bent on evil and murder; one shooter was dedicated to saving lives.
    I wish I could agree that this is true in the mind of the average person that consumes mainstream news, but I can't.

For INGO, maybe. The average soccer mom? No way. For them, shooter in any context = bad.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Notes passed in classroom, writing on the bathroom stalls, locker room gossip :cool:

But, kind of my point though. Kids today have a different experience growing up which we don't know enough about.

Over-medicated, under-socialized, at once praised for being a unique individual worthy of unearned praised and respect, and vilified for being a male.
    Probably why we home schooled my 2 sons.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

The media doesn't seem to have the same problem when it comes to Jan 6. They toss around negative connotation words like "insurrection", "insurrectionists", "riots", "rioters", "attack", "plot", etc. without hesitation. I strongly suspect if they were so inclined their word machines could come up with something more damning than simply "shooter". But they have chosen that word for a reason.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I wish I could agree that this is true in the mind of the average person that consumes mainstream news, but I can't.

For INGO, maybe. The average soccer mom? No way. For them, shooter in any context = bad.
    Tell me what other context does the average soccer mom see the term used? I'm sure they've never heard the term "shooter ready" in competition matches. So how can that be a bad reflection on good guys with a firearm if they've never even heard it in that context?

Like I said. The media doesn't describe a good guy with a firearm as a "shooter" or a "gunman" it's strictly synonymous with a bad guy with a gun.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wasn't meaning to stir up a hornets nest here with that comment. I don't think anyone here would have a problem distinguishing good versus bad "shooter."

Just thinking, as others have stated, the general public associating "shooter" and by extension "shooting" with the bad, and not the good.

If they're going to play games with words, then we need to make sure we are precise in our speech. (if you say it in a Kermit like voice you realize where the thought came from.)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Tell me what other context does the average soccer mom see the term used? I'm sure they've never heard the term "shooter ready" in competition matches. So how can that be a bad reflection on good guys with a firearm if they've never even heard it in that context?

Like I said. The media doesn't describe a good guy with a firearm as a "shooter" or a "gunman" it's strictly synonymous with a bad guy with a gun.
    You mean you never hear the term "target shooter" where you are? That's weird.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Never heard the terms. Good Samaritan "Shooter" or Hero "Gunman" used to describe a good guy with a gun. Those are not meant as blanket terms IMO.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'm the only redhead in the family. Both my grandfathers were redheads; apparently, I won that recessive-gene lottery.
    Youre a lot calmer than the redheads i know. My best friend from school is a redhead, we cant go anywhere without him spazzing out.

When we ride motorcycles together i used to ask if his sun screen is a sweatshirt... it was only funny for me appearantly

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    "Shooter" is less accurate than it could be. Shooter covers a wide spectrum. This less than optimal accuracy is intentionally applied to this nut-case killer by the media.
    The effect this has on the reader has nothing to do with INGO. Their target audience is not INGO but rather the dumbed down populace they helped create.

This is also intentional. This is exactly why the term shooter is used. They are trying to reduce the negative response by not calling him a killer or some more accurate descriptive word for murdering three innocent people.
    These are both fair. And if someone said, "call him the attacker, or assailant, or killer, because they are more accurate", I'd be good with that. (And, I agree.) I just don't agree with, "don't call him 'shooter' because it equates him to the hero who stopped him."

Reactions: KG1

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Sure, but I'm on INGO, and not talking to the average soccer mom. (I wouldn't correct the average soccer mom on "clip" vs "magazine", either.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Youre a lot calmer than the redheads i know. My best friend from school is a redhead, we cant go anywhere without him spazzing out.

When we ride motorcycles together i used to ask if his sun screen is a sweatshirt... it was only funny for me appearantly
    It's not intentional, but I've never really fit most molds.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And I thought I liked Abdul.

He is a wealth of local and state political information. I have listened to and watched him for years.

He used to report in an unbiased journalistic fashion. That changed sometime back and became openly unobjective as Trump was winning the election in 2016. After four years of nevertrumping, he is totally untrustworthy.

Abdul is pretty jaded now. Always the smartest guy in the room. Just ask him, he'll tell you. :rolleyes: Especially on stuff he obviously has no clue about.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    And I thought I liked Abdul.

Well, to be fair, how many gunowners (all gunowners, not just INGO enthusiasts) would be able to make a 40 yard shot under stress?

How many people here have left a range because of some dweeb doing stupid things? (Whether that's leaving to get a range officer or just leaving)

People need to train to be proficient, I think we can agree on that. But, when it becomes a requirement to carry, or own a weapon, then it could become a burden on exercising your rights.

Top Bottom